What F-102 units were called up for Viet Nam

Old September 6th 03, 06:14 AM
Jim Thomas

F-102s were stationed in Thailand, in 1967, primarily as weather recon
aircraft.

At one point in 1967, (I think around September) there was a Search and
Rescue (SAR) effort near Route 9 (in N. Vietnam, just east of the border
with Laos). I was Sandy lead for this mission. Several SAMs were fired;
turns out, all or most were fired at the F-102s, our MIG cap, not at us.

None hit (and the downed pilot was rescued). Later on, I talked to some
of the F-102 pilots. This was the high point of their tour: they were
shot at.

Seems to me that the worst thing that can happen to a warrior is not to
be allowed to take part. There were lots of warriors in the F-102 bunch.

Jim Thomas

Old September 6th 03, 12:13 PM
Cub Driver

a very safe unit to join as there was no possibility of
overseas assignment.

I don't think flying supersonic jets in a military environment can
reasonably be called a safe activity.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: www.danford.net/letters.htm#9

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old September 6th 03, 02:15 PM
av8r

Juvat wrote:
av8r posted

Good timing. I'm presently working on a journal article about F-102 ops
in Viet Nam and Thailand code named 'Water Glass' and 'Candy Time'.

"Candy Machine"

OOps!!!!

You are absolutely right. I was half awake when I posted last night.

Cheers...Chris

Old September 6th 03, 02:50 PM
Paul J. Adam

In message , Frank Vaughan
writes
Could you go into greater detail on this? The 2.75" FFAR was an
unguided rocket munition. How would the F-102 IR ball come into
play?

At a guess... Find an IR source (running engine, camp fire, etc.) with
the IR sensor, then fire unguided FFARs at IR source.

--
When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite.
W S Churchill

Old September 6th 03, 03:14 PM
av8r

sometimes used their IR ball as a 2.75 FFAR aim point for ground attack missions.

* The IR ball was part of the Hughes MG 10 fire control system
integrated with the AIM 4 Falcon

1 x F102 was shot down by a Mig in 67 i think.

* An F-102 of the 509th FIS/ 405thFW was shot down by an Atoll
air-to-air missile fired from a North Vietnamese Air Force MiG-21
'Fishbed'. This took place on the 3rd of February, 1968 while flying
MiG CAP over Route Pack 4

Cheers...Chris

Old September 6th 03, 05:39 PM
Thomas Schoene

"Juvat" wrote in message

Jim Thomas posted:

F-102s were stationed in Thailand, in 1967, primarily as weather
recon aircraft.

Didn't they have a rather short radius of action? (Can't recall seeing
a picture of one on "the boom" thinking they're like B-57s...no air
refueling capability...but I could be VERY wrong on that score)

http://home.att.net/~jbaugher1/f102_1.html

"The F-102A was not equipped at the factory for midair refuelling. However,
there were some examples of the F-102A that were fitted in the field with
probe and drogue inflight-refuelling probes mounted immediately aft of the
cockpit on the right-hand side of the fuselage. These were fitted for the
purpose of ferrying aircraft from the US to Southeast Asia. The probes were
removed upon arrival. Some ANG F-102As were also fitted with these midair
refuelling probes. "

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Old September 6th 03, 07:15 PM
RCold36

Subject: What F-102 units were called up for Viet Nam
From: Scott Peterson

Not sure what or where they came from, but there were 2 F-102's at Don Muang
RTAF when I arrived there in early November 1961. I was in the AF on project
Able Mable with 4 RF-101C's for recce work over Laos.

Roy Colding USAF Ret.
email:
Old September 7th 03, 03:24 AM
Tarver Engineering

"Peter Stickney" wrote in message
In article ,
"Tarver Engineering" writes:
I want this for a political newsgroup.

Ask a civil question, get a civil answer.

Dude, you attacked me out of ignorance and I expect you to apologise.

Old September 7th 03, 03:45 AM
Jim Thomas

Juvat wrote:

Didn't they have a rather short radius of action? (Can't recall seeing
a picture of one on "the boom" thinking they're like B-57s...no air
refueling capability...but I could be VERY wrong on that score)

Where were they doing this? (I know starting in Aug 66 the 6461st TRS
at Udorn in RF-4s was flying wx recce into RP-6 covering high and low
altitude then using their HF radios to relay the wx back to Udorn and
7th AF Hq)

From what I've read their Dets were rather small?

The F-102s I knew were out of Udorn, and were only a few aircraft.

Were you involved with the SAR on 3 Feb 68 when an F-102 was shotdown
by a MiG? Supposedly they were part of a SAR along the NVN-Laos
border.

Juvat

No, I left Udorn in November 1967. I hadn't heard about this SAR.

Jim Thomas

Old September 7th 03, 04:49 AM
Tex Houston

"Peter Stickney" wrote in message
F-102s showed up in Thailand and Viet Nam from before the beginning,
as it were.

In August, 1961, 4 F-102As from the 509th FIS, Clark AB, Pi deployed
to Don Muang Airport, outside of Bankok for air defence duties,
apparently as part of Project Bell Tone.

My source shows this took place in April 1961.

Tex Houston