AvTek Pulsar Installation PIREP (or "Why I'm Not an A&P")

Old October 30th 07, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Default Was: "Why I'm Not an A&P" - Now: Fixin' Stuff

What have you guys seen? Don't limit this to your house, this is an
aviation group.

Ha! In 5 years of remodeling at the hotel we have found...

- "Emergency" lighting that had no battery backup
- "Fire alarms" that did nothing. Pull 'em all you want...
- Plumbing that was apparently soldered by my daughter, when she was 8
years old
- Drywall that was GLUED over old drywall
- Balconies painted with sand paint. Walk on 'em and track sand paint
EVERYWHERE throughout the hotel suites.
- No flashing on ANY exterior boards. None, so that the water can
pool on top of every board, and migrate into the buildings...
- Popcorn ceilings applied over un-primered drywall, so that over time
(and with humidity) it simply falls off in sheets
- Unwrapped air conditioning cold water lines that dripped
condensation onto drywall ceilings throughout the hotel, ruining
dozens of sheets of drywall and all the drop ceilings.
- "Window" air conditioners that were "plumbed" with ducting into
other rooms (in multi-bedroom suites) in order to provide cooling to
multiple rooms without buying multiple air conditioners
- Exterior lights that were wired into an individual suite's bathroom
GFI circuit
- Exterior lights that were not wired into ANY circuit with a breaker
on it
- A giant hole in the concrete floor (of a first floor room) that was
filled with sand and covered with an old rug
- 300 pound fire doors held up with 1" screws in the hinges

I could go on, and on, and on. It is just astounding what some
people will do to save a buck that will ultimately cost $100 down the
road...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 30th 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gig 601XL Builder

Jay Honeck wrote:
What have you guys seen? Don't limit this to your house, this is an
aviation group.

Ha! In 5 years of remodeling at the hotel we have found...

{SNIP}

I could go on, and on, and on. It is just astounding what some
people will do to save a buck that will ultimately cost $100 down the
road...

But it didn't cost THEM $100 down the road it cost YOU $100 down the road.

Old October 31st 07, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

But it didn't cost THEM $100 down the road it cost YOU $100 down the road.

True, in these instances -- but it's an ongoing thing. The hotel has
been here since 1980, and I've seen enough to know that this
"pennywise-but-pound-foolish" approach to maintenance was endemic
throughout its history.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 1st 07, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Margy Natalie

Default AvTek Pulsar Installation PIREP (or "Why I'm Not an A&P")

RST Engineering wrote:
If you would give us the year that you started I could probably guess the
year it was done. Plus or minus a year or so.

{;-)

Jim

'98
Old November 1st 07, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Margy Natalie

Ray Andraka wrote:
Margy Natalie wrote:

Anyone want to guess how long it was before it was finished?

Is it finished yet? ;-)

More or less, but some things are wearing out for the 2nd time :-)
Old November 1st 07, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Margy Natalie

Mike Spera wrote:
O.K. I have a good one. The doorbell mounted high on a soffit overhead
in the kitchen. What could they POSSIBLY screw up?

When I tore down the drywall (ALL 4 LAYERS - the DIP****S just kept
piling it on for the backsplash) I found the wiring for the doorbell.

It was an old 110v system. They used zip cord (brown 18 gauge lamp cord)
STAPLED TO THE 2X4 stud. It was wired into one of the legs to the
electric stove. Big lug with electrical tape around it. This was on a 50
amp circuit breaker. Remember that lamp cord is rated for 8 amps or so.

I found the doorbell shorted, the zipcord completely devoid of the
insulation because the short had cooked it off, and the remaining
strands of wire burned/buried into the scorched and blackened 2X4. I
have no idea how this did not start a fire.

I also found a "new" outlet some bubba installed. 2 pieces of insulated
wire strung between the drywall and studs, around and inside corner to
the new outlet. Real nice.

Finally the topper. They turned the former laundry room into a bathroom,
complete with shower. For an exhaust fan, they plastered in the wrong
sized unit into a big hole high up on a wall (2+ inches of plaster
oozing out the back). Now, the $6000 punchline. Since it was too much
trouble to run the vent hose properly (through a roof vent), they simply
left it hanging IN THE DROP CEILING COLD AIR RETURN. The warm wet air
from the bathroom was being pumped into this drop ceiling where it went
straight into the roof insulation and finally the roof decking. 80+
sheets of rotted decking (an additional $6k for the roof) because Bubba
Jackass did not have the brains to know that you NEVER run a bathroom
vent ANYWHERE but out of the house, preferably out the roof.

What have you guys seen? Don't limit this to your house, this is an
aviation group. I'm sure we have some real winners in the airplane
category...

Can't wait
Mike

We took out a DG that had a piece of masking tape that said "$5" on it.
Does that count? BTW the system had NO filters, at all.

Margy
Old November 1st 07, 06:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Montblack

("Margy Natalie" wrote)
If you would give us the year that you started I could probably guess the
year it was done. Plus or minus a year or so.

'98

Down the hill of our freeway exit ramp, 35W(N) & US10(W), is an expansive
new townhouse development. Margene said it took less time for them to build
125 units than it took me to put up the shelves in the garage. In my
defense, they used nail guns!

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/MN/...htm#university
Former University of Minnesota Airport (great nationwide site!)

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/MN/Blaine_MN_01.jpg
Same page - pic of new townhouses sitting atop the old airport

Montblack

Old April 16th 10, 07:20 AM
flyngrl flyngrl is offline
Junior Member

Smile

[quote=Dave Butler;568358]Viperdoc wrote:[color=blue][i]
Hey Dave, please email me at . The former Cathy Croy - a last name you unfortunately know quite well. Just want to catch up.