Collins Radios?

Old August 8th 03, 05:53 PM
John Godwin

Default Collins Radios?

"Jim" wrote in :

Can the group tell me how Collins Radios rank as far as quality compared
with King and Narco? I've never used them and I see a lot of the 70's
Archers seem to have Collins as standard equipment.

Had Collins in a Piper Lance a while back. After our Avionics shop
installed the latest filters and fixes, I was quite impressed with the
reliability and clarity. I've had experience with King and Narco and I
rate Collins above both.

--
John Godwin
Silicon Rallye Inc.
Old August 8th 03, 06:57 PM
Justin Case

Work well, parts are getting hard to find (displays) and they weigh
too much. No resale value, but the G/S indicator is a diamond in the
rough!

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 09:42:49 -0500, "Jim" wrote:

Can the group tell me how Collins Radios rank as far as quality compared
with King and Narco? I've never used them and I see a lot of the 70's
Archers seem to have Collins as standard equipment.
Thanks!

Old August 8th 03, 11:35 PM
Tom S.

"Craig" wrote in message
om...
"Jim" wrote in message

Can the group tell me how Collins Radios rank as far as quality compared
with King and Narco? I've never used them and I see a lot of the 70's
Archers seem to have Collins as standard equipment.
Thanks!

Pretty much the standard to compare by. Collins builds about 90% of
the military stuff in current use.

I thought that was Honeywell.

I prefer it to the others for size, durability and always being able
to be heard with them.

Why, oh why, do aircraft radios' all sound about like nylon strings with a
couple paper cups on the end?

Old August 10th 03, 03:36 PM
john smith

Jim wrote:
Can the group tell me how Collins Radios rank as far as quality compared
with King and Narco? I've never used them and I see a lot of the 70's
Archers seem to have Collins as standard equipment.

There is no comparison to the audio quality of Collins, it is so vastly
superior to what you hear from any of the other manufacturers. That was
my experience using a set of ProLine that Ohio State has in their
Duchess, multi-engine trainer.
Old February 15th 04, 03:44 PM
Gerry Caron

They're good radios, and compare favorably with King and Narco of the era.
Collins sold the "Microline" to STEC back in the early 80's. Service is
still available from STEC.

That said, they're 25 year old radios. We took 2 ea. Microline comms and
navs out of the club Cheetah last year and replaced them with an Apollo
GX-60 and a SL-30. Even with the addition of the SL-10 audio panel, the
airplane's weight went down by 8 lbs.

When buying a plane, it will be cheaper to get one equipped with what you
want than to upgrade it yourself after buying. If you're looking for a
basic plane and don't plan to immediately upgrade the panel, the Collis
radios will do the job just as well as the others.

Gerry

"Tony Woolner" wrote in message
I saw yesterday a Piper Warrior with a Collins radio. Never saw these

radios
before.The owner flies serious IFR with the plane. There is also a 170

radio
and an antique ADF in two parts, with needle on the left side.No

autopilot.
What do you think?

Jim wrote:

Can the group tell me how Collins Radios rank as far as quality compared
with King and Narco? I've never used them and I see a lot of the 70's
Archers seem to have Collins as standard equipment.
Thanks!
--
Still shopping,
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

Old February 15th 04, 11:06 PM
Dennis O'Connor

I strongly suspect that both the radio and the pilot are older than you...
I have an adf
a collins
and no autopilot
and I fly ifr...
So, what do you think, Tony?
cheers ... denny -

Tony Woolner" wrote in I saw yesterday a Piper