Gary IN to CVG?

Old July 26th 05, 03:01 PM
Paul kgyy

Default Gary IN to CVG?

Considering a flight into CVG, which is Class B and would appreciate
some insight from the group.
1. The IFR routing with STAR is very circuitous - better to file VFR?
2. Reservation required? Flight will be on Saturday.

Any other tips - FBO, etc? Piper Arrow.

Old July 26th 05, 04:05 PM

Hi Paul,

I'm based out of Cincinnati Lunken. My experience is that the CVG folks
are *extremely* unfriendly towards GA aircraft. If you are terminating
here in Cincy, any chance that you might fly into Lunken (LUK)? It's
much more GA friendly, and closer to the city anyway.

If you are flying into CVG, I'd do it VFR...CVG seems to get a little
****y about IFR arrivals who won't take a STAR. Also, I'd aim for a
time other than 8-10 AM and 4-7 PM, as these are arrival pushes for
Delta...lots of big iron flying around at that time, and CVG approach
is even more testy than usual.

Either way, good luck, and enjoy Cincinnati!

Cheers,

Cap

Old July 26th 05, 04:48 PM

I second what the captain says, except I'll say it stronger: Don't fly
into CVG in a light aircraft under any circumstances. Lunken is much
better in all respects.

Old July 26th 05, 05:01 PM
paul kgyy

Thanks; I have a passenger that needs to take a flight out of CVG,
otherwise Lunken would be better.

Old July 26th 05, 08:15 PM
Chip Hermes

Why not? Who do they think they are?

I've flown light aircraft at peak hours (both VFR and IFR) into DFW,
LAX, IAH, etc, all of which are significantly busier than CVG and it
was a breeze.

Chip

P.S. everyone on airnav commenting about CVG seems to be flying a 172
or equiv and seems to think it was a great experience.

Old July 26th 05, 09:36 PM
xyzzy

Chip Hermes wrote:

Why not? Who do they think they are?

I've flown light aircraft at peak hours (both VFR and IFR) into DFW,
LAX, IAH, etc, all of which are significantly busier than CVG and it
was a breeze.

I've flown a Warrior VFR to IAD also and it was a great experience. Yeah
I got vectored all over the place to keep me out of the way of bigger
and faster and IFR traffic and they worked me onto the runway during a
lull so I ended up flying a 13 mile downwind and final but I enjoyed the
tour of the area and the controllers never made me feel unwelcome.

Old July 26th 05, 11:17 PM

I was based at LAX with a major airline for many years. In the early
days knowing the peaks and valleys I used to fly a light aircraft in
there when our company would let us park at the hangar. Then, traffic
increased and one day I was almost blown over in an Arrow by a
Continental 727 who blasted the power around the corner taking 25L for
takeoff even though the tower told him to be careful.

It's too easy to end up in a nasty situation like that at one of these
major airports.

Old July 27th 05, 03:13 AM
Robbie S.

I have heard the same thing about the Cincy Approach. If you go to Lunken,
park at Million Air and if you refuel there, they will give you a new loaner
Jaguar. You can drive your passenger to CVG and enjoy the Jag (did I
mention it was new when I got it two weeks ago !).

....Robbie.

oups.com...

Old July 27th 05, 01:33 PM

Don't know *who* they think they are. And I've flown into other Class B
airports without the headaches too. But CVG really seems to go out of
its way to make things difficult sometimes for GA folks. I'm a CFI out
of LUK, and generally have no problem at all doing stuff in their
airspace...but ask to land? They *definitely* don't like it. Even at
slow times, they don't like small planes, especially doing practice
approaches. In fairness to them, tho, when it matters they are solid. I
had to miss off of the LUK ILS a couple of times earlier this year, and
the CVG guys did a fine job, basically offering me anything I wanted
either at LUK or CVG (I got into LUK on the next try); fine vectors no
problems at all.

But I've tried to go in there VFR a couple times, and do some practice
approaches with students, and I felt distinctly unwelcome. Can't blame
them...their job is first and foremost to get the big iron in and
out...unnecessary GA planes just make the mix more complex for them.

Cheers,

Cap

Old July 27th 05, 04:47 PM
John Doe

File VFR and talk to them before the Class B. Follow their vectors to the T
and be professional and courteous to them on the radio. Keep your speed up
as long as you can.

If you have an issue with a controller, get his initials and call his
supervisor when you land.

I don't recall anything that says some big shot in a jet has a higher
priority reason to land there than you do. That's why it's called a public
airport.

"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
ps.com...
Considering a flight into CVG, which is Class B and would appreciate
some insight from the group.
1. The IFR routing with STAR is very circuitous - better to file VFR?
2. Reservation required? Flight will be on Saturday.

Any other tips - FBO, etc? Piper Arrow.

Gary Mitchell is a Pissin' Freak!!!! Brad Soaring 5 June 28th 05 12:50 AM
Apis (was Gary Mitchell is a Pissin' Freak!!!!) [email protected] Soaring 0 March 17th 05 04:46 AM
New World Record Claim David Stevenson Soaring 2 July 12th 04 05:00 AM
Madness Jeb Piloting 58 January 14th 04 07:10 AM
For Gary Kemp John Soaring 0 October 25th 03 02:26 PM