Supplemental O2 and children

Old April 14th 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Supplemental O2 and children

Does anyone have any experience using supplemental O2 with children ages
six and eight? Can this be done successfully (assuming the children are
very good at following directions)?

I am planning two round trip flights this summer in the non-pressurized
turbo Bonanza, one across the US from NY to Colorado and the second from NY
to North Carolina.

In both cases I would prefer to cruise in the mid-teens, which would
provide the best chance to be above the haze in the event that isolated
thunderstorms are about. Of course, all this would depend on whether my
children would be able to use either cannulas (preferably) or masks to
breath the supplemental O2.

--
Peter
Old April 14th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

You can have them use O2 when above 15,000 feet, they'll be
quieter without it.

Any mask must fit, children's faces are smaller, you may
need special masks. Cannulas are not as effective,
particularly if they are mouth breathers, but they are not
as claustrophobic as masks.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

Old April 14th 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

My boys have never had problems with the O2. My youngest usually trys
to avoid using it. The reason to have them wear O2 is to prevent head
aches, etc. However, most people just fall asleep, so its not an issue.

The cool thing is that its easy to calculate kids O2. Their canualas
are regular (not oxy-savers) so they use twice as much O2. However,
their bodys are smaller so they use 1/2 the O2. It all equals out in
the end, I just set the system to give them the same amount of O2 I'm
using. If they start to bug each other, I just turn their O2 down and
they fall asleep. I've talked to C-5 drivers that do the same when
Marines are sitting in the back.

-Robert (living in the Sierras).

Old April 15th 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Peter R. wrote:
Does anyone have any experience using supplemental O2 with children ages
six and eight? Can this be done successfully (assuming the children are
very good at following directions)?

I can't remember ever wearing oxygen in an airplane but I grew up as an Air
Force Brat. When I was that age, I'm sure I would have found wearing oxygen to
be quite an adventure. You have to remember I was raised on stuff like Col.
Steve Canyon, etc....

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old April 15th 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article . com,
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

My boys have never had problems with the O2. My youngest usually trys
to avoid using it. The reason to have them wear O2 is to prevent head
aches, etc. However, most people just fall asleep, so its not an issue.

The cool thing is that its easy to calculate kids O2. Their canualas
are regular (not oxy-savers) so they use twice as much O2. However,
their bodys are smaller so they use 1/2 the O2. It all equals out in
the end, I just set the system to give them the same amount of O2 I'm
using. If they start to bug each other, I just turn their O2 down and
they fall asleep. I've talked to C-5 drivers that do the same when
Marines are sitting in the back.

Corporate piltos do the same thing when the bosses in the back are drunk.
Old April 15th 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Peter R." wrote in message
Does anyone have any experience using supplemental O2 with children ages
six and eight? Can this be done successfully (assuming the children are
very good at following directions)?

Kids, following directions? ROTFLMAO !!!

Keep the O2 for yourself, that way the kids will fall asleep... Unless you
enjoy them asking, "Are we there, yet?" every 5 minutes...

Old April 15th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"john smith" wrote

Corporate piltos do the same thing when the bosses in the back are drunk.

So do commercial airline pilots, or they did a couple decades ago.

My dad was on a redeye to Germany, and trying to get some paperwork done,
and started getting sleepy. He had some very sensitive air pressure
measuring equipment, used in his line of work, and found they had raised the
cabin altitude, quite a bit. He told a stew to tell the captain to turn the
pressure back up; long to short, she said he didn't, he insisted, and
strangely enough, the pressure went back to normal.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 15th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Does anyone have any experience using supplemental O2 with children ages
six and eight? Can this be done successfully (assuming the children are
very good at following directions)?

Kids, following directions? ROTFLMAO !!!
Keep the O2 for yourself, that way the kids will fall asleep... Unless you
enjoy them asking, "Are we there, yet?" every 5 minutes...

Just watch for blue fingernails.
Old April 15th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Grumman-581 wrote:

Kids, following directions? ROTFLMAO !!!

I realize that it may be hard to believe, but there are parents who
instill a strong sense of discipline and command a respect for authority,
*especially* when their children ride along in the aircraft.

--
Peter
Old April 15th 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jim Macklin wrote:

You can have them use O2 when above 15,000 feet, they'll be
quieter without it.

My concern had to do with the other side effects of lower O2 in their
blood, as in dizziness, nausea, irritability, etc.

--
Peter