KX 170B Replacement

Old October 8th 03, 02:40 AM
Jay Somerset

Default KX 170B Replacement

My two KX 170B NavComs are getting a bit tired. The tuning gears have been
replaced, and after several years are now getting really stiff and hard to
turn again. Apart from the mechanical parts, the radios both work just
fine.

I am looking at three alternatives; having them repaired again, getting the
MAC 1700VTX conversion, or replacing them with TKM MX-170B units. The
conmversion and the TKM units seem to be about the same price.

What is the collective wisdom of this newsgroup? Does anyone have direct
experience with both the MAC and TKM products?
Old October 8th 03, 12:56 PM
Stu Gotts

I have a TKM and love it. Even though the prices are about the same,
the TKM Is a NEW radio with 2 years warranty (IIRC). Serviced at the
factory n Scottsdale if needed. They used to have a flat rate repair
policy that someone mentioned is no longer in effect, not sure. I
really haven't heard of any problems with them and everyone seems to
like them.

Old October 8th 03, 02:12 PM
Jay Honeck

What is the collective wisdom of this newsgroup? Does anyone have direct
experience with both the MAC and TKM products?

We put the TKM MX-170B in our Warrior. It's great, and is still working
great to this day.

I thought MAC went out of business?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 8th 03, 04:27 PM
Michael

"Jay Somerset" wrote
My two KX 170B NavComs are getting a bit tired. The tuning gears have been
replaced, and after several years are now getting really stiff and hard to
turn again. Apart from the mechanical parts, the radios both work just
fine.

I am looking at three alternatives; having them repaired again, getting the
MAC 1700VTX conversion, or replacing them with TKM MX-170B units. The
conmversion and the TKM units seem to be about the same price.

What is the collective wisdom of this newsgroup? Does anyone have direct
experience with both the MAC and TKM products?

Actually, since your 170B's are still worth $300+ each on eBay (and
that's being conservative - I've seen them go for $400+) you better be
saving at least that much by going with the TKM over the MAC. And
then there's the downtime of having your radios worked on. And the
fact is, the electronics are still old. I would avoid the MAC. BTW,
the MAC conversion was made by McCoy, and they are out of business. I
understand someone else picked up the support.

Realistically, if the only problem is that the mechanical parts are
getting stiff and hard to turn, a good cleaning may solve your
problems.

I used to have a MAC and a KX-175B in my plane. Once I had an
overvolt condition due to a short in the field line. The KX-175B was
fine. The MAC could still transmit and receive, but the digital front
end got fried beyond repair, so no display. I now have a 170B where
the MAC used to live.

Michael
Old October 8th 03, 04:48 PM
PaulaJay1

In article , "Jay Somerset"
writes:

My two KX 170B NavComs are getting a bit tired. The tuning gears have been
replaced, and after several years are now getting really stiff and hard to
turn again. Apart from the mechanical parts, the radios both work just
fine.

I took off the cover and sprayed the gears lightly with a silicon spray and the
tuning difficulty was fixed. I know, you wanted a reason for new. I replaced
my #1 with a garmin 430 and moved #1 to #2 position. There, I gave you a way
to spend more( and get more capability). I love my new setup.

Chuck
Old October 8th 03, 10:09 PM
Guy Byars

tuning difficulty was fixed. I know, you wanted a reason for new. I
replaced
my #1 with a garmin 430 and moved #1 to #2 position. There, I gave you a

way
to spend more( and get more capability). I love my new setup.

Sort'a like this:

http://www.gfbyars.com/skylane/P5230031s.JPG

More photos at (be sure to scroll down):

http://www.gfbyars.com/skylane/index.htm