Electric locomotion will replace internal combustion

Old September 17th 10, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

Default Electric locomotion will replace internal combustion

On Sep 17, 3:51*pm, wrote:
Mark wrote:
On Sep 17, 12:30*pm, wrote:

Even pure electric cars are not practical as a replacement for an ICE car
in other than very limited conditions.

--
Jim Pennino

1. I suggest you educate yourself as to what the driving
* *habits and requirements are of 90% of all Americans,
* *including the distances and durations and then maybe
* *peruse a list of electric car dealerships available now
* *along with the soon-to-open ones, and look at the fit
* *that is there before you babble on about "not practical"

Yeah, sure, pure electric car sales are just booming.

Wrong. The supply isn't meeting demand.

Like the Chevy Volt at $41,000 after government subsidies.

The number one reason for a poor showing in Chevy Volt
sales is...Time Travel. This is 2010. They come out in
2011.

---
Mark

--
Jim Pennino

Old September 17th 10, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

On Sep 17, 4:44*pm, george wrote:
On Sep 18, 3:28*am, wrote: Mark wrote:
In the year 2055, you will be arrested and prosecuted
for operating an internal combustion engine in the
United States of America. (Chimerica)

Then everyone starves when the big rig trucks stop food distribution.

One of those 'unfortunate facts' that the dreamers cannot get their
heads around

Precluding the law of diminishing returns, just off-hand
I'd think a truck-sized electric motor would fix that.
(along with a commensurate power source) Ever seen
electric drag-strip cars? The IC powered cars cannot
even come close. The tork is just too great.

What do truckers rely on? Tork.

---
Mark

Old September 17th 10, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

spelled torque.
Old September 17th 10, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mark wrote:
On Sep 17, 3:51Â*pm, wrote:
Mark wrote:
On Sep 17, 12:30Â*pm, wrote:

Even pure electric cars are not practical as a replacement for an ICE car
in other than very limited conditions.

--
Jim Pennino

1. I suggest you educate yourself as to what the driving
Â* Â*habits and requirements are of 90% of all Americans,
Â* Â*including the distances and durations and then maybe
Â* Â*peruse a list of electric car dealerships available now
Â* Â*along with the soon-to-open ones, and look at the fit
Â* Â*that is there before you babble on about "not practical"

Yeah, sure, pure electric car sales are just booming.

Wrong. The supply isn't meeting demand.

Yeah, the two digit demand.

They tried this in Spain complete with the government subsidies expecting
2,000 on the road by the end of the year.

So far they have 16.

No one other than a rich enviro-whinner is going to buy a $41,000 car that
can only go 40 miles.

Like the Chevy Volt at $41,000 after government subsidies.

The number one reason for a poor showing in Chevy Volt
sales is...Time Travel. This is 2010. They come out in
2011.

I guess you missed the fact that the next year's car models come out at the
end of the year and have done so since at least the end of WWII.

The 2011 Volt goes on sale in November 2010.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old September 17th 10, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mark wrote:
On Sep 17, 5:37Â*pm, (Edward A. Falk) wrote:
In article ,

Mark wrote:

1. I suggest you educate yourself as to what the driving
Â* Â*habits and requirements are of 90% of all Americans,

My understanding is that 90-95% of all uses of cars are very
short-range trips (such as driving to work and back), which
an electric car would be very well suited for.

Exactly.

The problem is that remaining 5%. Â*What if I want to go on a
trip to someplace 300 miles away. Â*All of a sudden, my electric
car is useless to me.

This is being rectified.

Not without magic battery techonology that isn't even in the research stage.

Maybe it makes sense to buy the electric car with the knowledge
that you'll be renting an ICE from time to time, but most
consumers just say "screw it, I'll just get a car that I can
use all the time."

Yes. That would make sense today. Although, you're still
funding pollution and Islam.

Of course, economics rules. Â*If electric cars became
significantly cheaper than ICE, then consumers might decide
they can live with renting a car for long-haul trips from time
to time.

It's a supply/demand thing right now. It took a while
for the model-t to catch on too.

The Model T was affordable and usefull to the average family.

Pure electric cars are not.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old September 17th 10, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mark wrote:
On Sep 17, 4:44Â*pm, george wrote:
On Sep 18, 3:28Â*am, wrote: Mark wrote:
In the year 2055, you will be arrested and prosecuted
for operating an internal combustion engine in the
United States of America. (Chimerica)

Then everyone starves when the big rig trucks stop food distribution.

One of those 'unfortunate facts' that the dreamers cannot get their
heads around

Precluding the law of diminishing returns, just off-hand
I'd think a truck-sized electric motor would fix that.
(along with a commensurate power source) Ever seen
electric drag-strip cars? The IC powered cars cannot
even come close. The tork is just too great.

What do truckers rely on? Tork.

Distance, as in LA to Chicago.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old September 17th 10, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

On Sep 17, 2:04*pm, wrote:
Mark wrote:
On Sep 17, 12:30*pm, wrote:
Edward A. Falk wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
Mark wrote:
In the year 2055, you will be arrested and prosecuted
for operating an internal combustion engine in the
United States of America. (Chimerica)

Then everyone starves when the big rig trucks stop food distribution..

Presumably, by then electric vehicles will be practical. *I think that's
OP's original point.

And a good point it is -- if we achieve a) cheap, clean electricity
(e.g. fusion, solar) and b) practical batteries, then we'll see incredible
changes in air quality, the economy, and even world politics.

I would guess that the use of internal combusion engines will not actually
be outlawed. *More likely, people who want to operate them (e.g. antiques
collectors) will simply pay a pollution tax when they buy the fuel.

Bear in mind that if 99% of the vehicles switch to electric, then the
few ICEs that remain won't be generating enough pollution to actually
worry about. *We might even see a relaxation of pollution laws rather
than a tightening of them.

I'm not holding my breath though. *Batteries suck and they're not getting
much better. *It will be exciting to see what the next 50 years brings.

Batteries have been around for 210 years and there is nothing on horizon
that will provide anywhere near the energy density required to power
something like a big rig truck, a farm tractor, construction machinery,
airplanes, a train, or a boat of any size.

Even pure electric cars are not practical as a replacement for an ICE car
in other than very limited conditions.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.- Hide quoted text -

Wrong.

Yes, you usually are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Energy_density.svg

Conventional gasoline: 34.8 MJ/L 43 MJ/kg

100LL: 44 MJ/kg 32 MJ/L

Jet A 43 MJ/kg 33 MJ/L

Lithium ion nanowire battery: 2.54 MJ/kg (experimental, bleeding edge)

Supercapacitor: .01 MJ/kg *(experimental, bleeding edge)

--
Jim Pennino

Ok, and let's examine the source of this data.

LOL! Some kid named Scott on Wikipedia. Ya gotta stop
believing everything you read on Wikipedia. On top of that,
this is outdated technology.

---
Mark

Old September 17th 10, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

On Sep 17, 6:00*pm, wrote:

No one other than a rich enviro-whinner is going to buy a $41,000 car that
can only go 40 miles.

Wrong. Technology has them going nearly 200 miles.

Like the Chevy Volt at $41,000 after government subsidies.

The number one reason for a poor showing in Chevy Volt
sales is...Time Travel. *This is 2010. *They come out in
2011.

I guess you missed the fact that the next year's car models come out at the
end of the year and have done so since at least the end of WWII.

The 2011 Volt goes on sale in November 2010.

So you're asserting that a car which hasn't been available to the
public, and has never been for sale anywhere in the world,
has poor sales numbers and this proves that there is no
market demand for electric cars. grin

--
Jim Pennino

Old September 18th 10, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

i meant I'm borked
Old September 18th 10, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

Default this is ari silverstein forging my identity