An Officer.......

Old February 24th 04, 02:30 AM
The CO

"Rick Folkers" wrote in message
news:AKx_b.1212$Ri6.512@lakeread04...
Art, that is just BS. There are times and ways to complain. And

there
are times and ways to explain to subordinates. Anybody who thinks
they are above explanations was a sorry excuse for an officer. That

was
what I used to call an "Imperial Officer", one who was more aware of

the
privileges of being an officer than of the responsibilities.

There are several styles of leadership, and the style Art was taught was
identified at OCS as 'Autocratic'.

We were also taught that a good officer should be able to adapt his
leadership style
to the circumstances he was in. There are times when it *is* very
necessary to be autocratic
and there are times when its better to be rather less so. A good
officer should be able to alter
his style according to need without comprising his integrity, authority
or effectiveness.

Times change and so do the philosphies of leadership. It's worth noting
that the autocratic type of
officer historically came about when the OR's were uneducated and mostly
illiterate, ie dumb grunts.
(I'm not talking recent history here).

Consequently leaderships styles have had to become both more flexible
and less autocratic, as we
are dealing with rankers that are far better educated than many officers
were a hundred years ago.
It hard to drive such people, but they can be *led*.

The CO

Old February 24th 04, 03:46 AM
ArtKramr

Subject: An Officer.......
From: "The CO"
Date: 2/23/04 6:30 PM Pacific Standard Time

[...]

Here are some more caveats from my training. When you issue and order to a
subordinate there are only three answers allowed. They a
1. YES SIR
2. NO SIR
3. NO EXCUSE SIR

But when you are issued an order from a superior officer there are three
answers allowed. They a
1.YES SIR
2. NO SIR
3. NO EXCUSE SIR

Remember that I wasn't in the Air Force. I was in the Army Air Corps, emphasis
on ARMY and went through a full schedule of combat infantry training as well as
flight school and as an officer as well.. Good thing too because during the
Battle of the Bulge we were all issued M-1 Carbines and thrown into the line
along with the XXX Corps. And I never ever heard any long discussions
involving diverse opinions on what we should do. Orders were issued and were
followed without question. We knew what we should do and we did it. And
remember we won that war so maybe we knew something back then that the military
has forgotten since.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old February 24th 04, 05:09 AM
Rick Folkers

Note that I said there are times and places for explanations.
But read what you want, the units I was in were damn good
and I will fight with them and lead them again any day of the week.

Old February 24th 04, 05:10 AM
Krztalizer

OK that meant we were all flying out of Stansted at the time. One of my
favorite towns in the whole world.We must have flown an awful lot of missions
together.That helps. I'll check with my pilot Paul Shorts to see if he knew
Biggs. I'll get back to you when I get more info.

Al Briggs - thanks for checking for me, Art.

v/r
Gordon
PS one of my next projects is to make a B-26 display for the museum; something
like a compact kiosk that would have displays on four sides. Our WWII area is
really dominated by the carrier display, to the point that there is very little
room left for other theatres or aircraft types. With space at a premium, I
figure I can probably get away with this sort of display, if I do it well. I
am going to have enlargements of my images (Midnight Marauder after its snowy
crash with a full bomb load, crew photos from Lake Charles, etc.) mounted on
foam and laminated for the kiosk, then I have some other items that would fit
in. What do you think?

Old February 24th 04, 10:01 AM
George

Here are some more caveats from my training. When you issue and order to a
subordinate there are only three answers allowed. They a
1. YES SIR
2. NO SIR
3. NO EXCUSE SIR

But when you are issued an order from a superior officer there are three
answers allowed. They a
1.YES SIR
2. NO SIR
3. NO EXCUSE SIR

Modern-day similarities: 5 responses in Air Force ROTC training
1.Yes Sir/Ma'am
2.No Sir/Ma'am
3.I do not know but will find out, sir/ma'am
4. May I ask a question, sir/ma'am?
5.May I make a statement, sir/ma'am?

And I never ever heard any long discussions
involving diverse opinions on what we should do. Orders were issued and were
followed without question. We knew what we should do and we did it.

Just because you are willing to discuss your plans with your troops
does not mean that it undermines your authority. Often the troops an
officer is commanding are more experienced than them. As cadets, we
are taught by our officers that our NCOs will know more than us, and
we would be stupid to ignore their advice. But the fact that you are
intelligent enough to use the experience available to you will often
improve confidence in you as a leader. The only real way to lose that
confidence is care more about yourself or "discipline" than getting
the mission done. You act with conviction and intelligence and your
men will follow you to the end. You act like a "candyass butterbar"
(one of the first sergeants at McGuire AFB told me this), you will be
having every problem in the book.

And
remember we won that war so maybe we knew something back then that the military
has forgotten since.

Sir, I respect you for your past accomplishments, but this is a
little over the line. It is not the military's management styles that
make a difference, it is the political leadership that has decided the
outcome of the past 50 years of military conflicts.
Old February 24th 04, 11:42 AM
D. Strang

"Bernardz" wrote

Soviet soldiers in WW2 did not complain. According to the Russian
authorities they had few if any morale problems.

Hilarious! The reason so many Russians died in WW#2, was their
officers kept shooting them.

A problem in the Military ? Nick Jade Military Aviation 54 March 15th 04 07:59 PM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
Fire officer tops in field — again Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 October 13th 03 08:37 PM
Army officer recieves Tuskegee Airman Award Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 August 21st 03 09:15 PM
Officer at Peterson AFB to be disciplined Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 August 14th 03 02:58 AM