Storm

Old June 7th 08, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

Default Storm

Straight line winds through Saginaw yesterday pretty much trashed the
southeast quadrant of the city, including the airport... The catwalk
gratings on top of the above ground fuel tanks at the airport were
lifted out of their frames and scattered about... These are not flat
plate gratings, but vertical bar type with the scalloped top edges tha
tthe wind has to lift up by the narrow profile, not the flats...Some
items on roofs were sheared off... Overall, the airport is in good
shape, no roofs lost, etc. but there is no power, including no way to
fuel up...

I ran over to the Flying J, a gas station on the expressway 3 miles
from the airport, but they were out of power also.. Since I could not
get my doors up, it didn't make any difference... In driving to the
airport through some of the oldest neighborhoods, there are oak and
maple and ash trees, most over 3 feet in diameter at the point they
are sheared off (and they are not rotten in the center either) down in
the streets, on cars, and on roofs, power lines down, siignal lights
on the ground, etc... Two townships are without power with most homes
expect to be out for 1 -2 days and some as long as 3 days (at least it
is not zero degrees and blowing)

At my home 23 miles away I had all the hanging flower pots along the
front of the porch mauled and lost about $300 worth of flowers that
had been up less than a week... I lost some trees in our 12 acres of
woods, but that is an annual spring event so we don't bother to
inventory...

denny - currently grounded
Old June 8th 08, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

denny - currently grounded

You've got the winds, we've got the water.

The Army Corps of Engineers is releasing 16K cubic feet per second from the
Coralville Dam (ten miles upstream from Iowa City), which has caused a fair
amount of flooding. They're planning to up that to 20K cfps, which will
cause widespread flooding. FEMA is already on the ground here, helping with
evacuations.

Even with that release, they're predicting the dam will be topped on
Tuesday -- something that's only happened once before, in the disastrous
floods of '93. Once it goes over the spillway, they've lost control of the
river. Things could get very ugly here after that -- and they're
predicting rain every day this week...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 8th 08, 05:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 03:20:11 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote in
LdI2k.144767$TT4.59744@attbi_s22:

they're predicting rain every day this week...

Keep your fingers crossed: It looks like a 50% or less chance showers
after Sunday:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=IAZ064
Flash Flood Watch
Flood Warning
Hazardous Weather Outlook
Tornado Watch

Rest Of Tonight...A chance of showers and thunderstorms late in
the evening...then showers and thunderstorms likely after midnight.
Some thunderstorms may be severe in the late evening and early
morning. Locally heavy rainfall possible. Low in the upper 60s. South
wind 10 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.

Sunday...Breezy. Showers and thunderstorms likely. High in the
lower 80s. Southwest wind 15 to 25 mph. Chance of precipitation 70
percent.

Sunday Night...Showers and thunderstorms likely. Low in the mid
60s. West wind 10 to 15 mph shifting to the northwest 5 to 10 mph
after midnight. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.

Monday...Cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers and
thunderstorms. High in the mid 70s. East wind 5 to 10 mph.

Monday Night...Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers
and thunderstorms. Low in the lower 60s. Southwest wind around 5 mph
shifting to the west after midnight.

Tuesday...Partly sunny with a 40 percent chance of showers and
thunderstorms. High in the mid 80s.

Tuesday Night...Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers
and thunderstorms. Low in the mid 60s.

Wednesday...Partly sunny with a 30 percent chance of showers and
thunderstorms. High in the mid 80s.

Wednesday Night And Thursday...Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent
chance of showers and thunderstorms. Low in the upper 60s. High in the
mid 80s.

Thursday Night...Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers
and thunderstorms. Low in the lower 60s.

Friday...Partly sunny with a 30 percent chance of showers and
thunderstorms. High in the lower 80s.

Friday Night And Saturday...Mostly cloudy. Low in the lower 60s.
High around 80.
Old June 8th 08, 07:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jun 7, 11:57 pm, Denny wrote:

Hi Denny

It's been three months now, is there any chance of an update on
Art's antenna?.

Derek.

Old June 8th 08, 10:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.global-warming
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

denny - currently grounded

You've got the winds, we've got the water.

The Army Corps of Engineers is releasing 16K cubic feet per second
from the Coralville Dam (ten miles upstream from Iowa City), which has
caused a fair amount of flooding. They're planning to up that to 20K
cfps, which will cause widespread flooding. FEMA is already on the
ground here, helping with evacuations.

Even with that release, they're predicting the dam will be topped on
Tuesday -- something that's only happened once before, in the
disastrous floods of '93. Once it goes over the spillway, they've
lost control of the river. Things could get very ugly here after
that -- and they're predicting rain every day this week...

Awwww. Well, look at the bright side, that must surely mean there's no
global warming eh?

Bertie
Old June 8th 08, 11:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

Your idea of global warming is more akin to ****ing yourself.

Old June 8th 08, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,alt.global-warming
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Maxwell" luv2^fly99@cox.^net wrote in news:wFO2k.4737$t07.3194
@newsfe22.lga:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message

Awwww. Well, look at the bright side, that must surely mean there's no
global warming eh?

Your idea of global warming is more akin to ****ing yourself.

Actually ****ing on you, to split a hair.

Bertie

Storm damage [email protected] Piloting 8 April 8th 08 11:21 PM
FOund in other group. Oklahoma Ice Storm - Oklahoma Ice Storm.jpg gt[_3_] Aviation Photos 4 February 25th 08 04:22 AM
Ice Storm pix Jay Honeck Piloting 30 December 21st 07 02:44 PM
Ice storm! Jay Honeck Piloting 82 February 28th 07 02:13 PM
OSH storm pix Jay Honeck Piloting 19 August 26th 06 06:34 AM