The DOWA 81 - East German Escape Plane

Old August 6th 10, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt
David E. Powell

Default The DOWA 81 - East German Escape Plane

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/foru...e;topic=5943.0

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...cape_plane.jpg

A homebuilt aircraft intended to be used in an escape from East
Germany.
Old August 6th 10, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt
David E. Powell

On Aug 6, 5:40*pm, "David E. Powell" wrote:
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/foru...printpage;topi....

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi..._East_German_e...

A homebuilt aircraft intended to be used in an escape from East
Germany.

More - Unfortunately the STASI nabbed the family the day before they
intended to escape.

http://www.deutsches-museum.de/en/co...-1945/dowa-81/

http://www.deutsches-museum.de/en/co...t/aeronautics/
propeller-planes/after-1945/dowa-81/

I'd guess that someone informed. That really sucks, makes it more
poignant.
Old August 7th 10, 06:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt
John Kimmel[_2_]

David E. Powell wrote:
On Aug 6, 5:40 pm, "David E. Powell" wrote:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/foru...printpage;topi...

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi..._East_German_e...

A homebuilt aircraft intended to be used in an escape from East
Germany.

More - Unfortunately the STASI nabbed the family the day before they
intended to escape.

http://www.deutsches-museum.de/en/co...-1945/dowa-81/

http://www.deutsches-museum.de/en/co...t/aeronautics/
propeller-planes/after-1945/dowa-81/

I'd guess that someone informed. That really sucks, makes it more
poignant.

The aircraft did its job: it got them to West Germany. If they'd tried flying it, they probably would have died.

--
John Kimmel

So in this world
Of the simple and odd,
The bent and plain,
The unbalanced bod,
The imperfect people
And differently pawed,
Some live without love...
That's how they're flawed.
Old August 7th 10, 06:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rob Arndt[_2_]

http://www.deutsches-museum.de/en/co.../aeronautics/p...

http://www.deutsches-museum.de/en/co...t/aeronautics/
propeller-planes/after-1945/dowa-81/

I'd guess that someone informed. That really sucks, makes it more
poignant.

The aircraft did its job: it got them to West Germany. *If they'd tried flying it, they probably would have died.

--
John Kimmel

So in this world
Of the simple and odd,
The bent and plain,
The unbalanced bod,
The imperfect people
And differently pawed,
Some live without love...
That's how they're flawed.- Hide quoted text -

Nope, the GDR AF flew it and it flew.

Rob
Old August 10th 10, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bug Dout

Arrested the day before their planned takeoff. Leaves many questions:

* how did they plan the movement, assembly, and takeoff of the plane?
* how were they found out?
* curious that only a year of prison and then deportation to where they
wanted to go! "Don't throw me into that briar patch!"
* why didn't the E. Germans destroy the aircraft/
--
They said I was the greatest pitcher they ever saw; I couldn't
understand why they couldn't give me no justice.
Old August 10th 10, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rob Arndt[_2_]

On Aug 10, 10:58*am, Bug Dout wrote:
Arrested the day before their planned takeoff. *Leaves many questions:

* how did they plan the movement, assembly, and takeoff of the plane?
* how were they found out?
* curious that only a year of prison and then deportation to where they
* wanted to go! *"Don't throw me into that briar patch!"
* why didn't the E. Germans destroy the aircraft/
--
They said I was the greatest pitcher they ever saw; I couldn't
understand why they couldn't give me no justice.
*~ Satchel Paige

AFAIK, the family was reported and the STASI moved in. The aircraft
could be broken into sections for assembly and the two motorcycle
engines came for the 250cc MZ ES 250:
http://youngtimer.files.wordpress.co...y-es-250-2.jpg

Although captured, the Pfeil 5/Wagner DOWA 81 was test-flown by the
GDR AF. It flew fine. It probably just sat around until reunification
and then was placed in a museum.

Although ugly, I like it.

Rob
Old August 11th 10, 05:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt
David E. Powell

engines came for the 250cc MZ ES 250:http://youngtimer.files.wordpress.co...rophy-es-250-2...

Although captured, the Pfeil 5/Wagner DOWA 81 was test-flown by the
GDR AF. It flew fine. It probably just sat around until reunification
and then was placed in a museum.

Although ugly, I like it.

Rob

Thank you for the additional info. As the STASI maintained huge
archives on everything and everyone they could, it is likely it was
either kept as a reference to what someone else could do, or just kept
because they kept everything.

As for the family, the father was an engineer and his prominence may
have helped the family eventually get out, as a higher up wanting to
go was a real embarrassment for the East German gov't, but a year in
East german prisons was surely not fun.
Old August 11th 10, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rob Arndt[_2_]

On Aug 10, 9:40*pm, "David E. Powell"
wrote:
[...]

East german prisons was surely not fun.- Hide quoted text -

David,

There was also the balloon escape that is depicted in the 1981 film
"Night Crossing":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Crossing

IIRC, there is also a film about a successful tunnel escape too... but
I cannot think of that title (?)!!!

Rob