Dallas Love Field light GA

Old April 18th 05, 04:03 PM
Dan Luke

Default Dallas Love Field light GA

I have a business meeting in NW Dallas next month and I'm planning on using
DAL. I'd appreciate any information from those familiar with operating light
GA aircraft there. Alternative suggestions also welcome.

Thanks,
--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old April 18th 05, 04:16 PM
Dave S

I have been to and highly recommend Regal Aviation. Its located on the
north side of the field, in between the parrallels. It is accessed by a
taxiway off of the eastern parrallel, so IF the tower/approach guys can
give you the east runway, take it and save some taxi time.

These guys put out the red carpet, send you a thank you card, and the
prices are reasonable for Love Field (Equal or cheaper, in my opinion).
Every time I've been there they have had a rental available without
calling ahead, but if you NEED one for sure, I would recommend calling
ahead. Its a little off the beaten path with regards to driving
directions, but not too hard to find.

I have been there overnight in a 172, a Cardinal and a 182, and each
time got the red carpet treatment. Once they even hangared me overnight
for free.

As for arrival info, I have always been a VFR flight following guy.. and
I come from Houston. Ft Worth Center sometimes makes the handoff to
Regional, other times they cut me loose and I start over with regional.
If I tell approach I'm inbound to Love with information (XXX) then they
usually give me vectors that mimic the IFR arrival procedures.

Coming in from the South/Southeast, they will usually try to bring me in
on a vectored left downwind/left base to the west parallel rwy. If I
get my request in and they take it, then they align my downwind with me
aiming at the Football Stadium (where the Boys play) then right base
then close in final over the little lake. If you are a small guy you can
usually make it into Regal without a lot of taxiing back.

The ground guys are very willing to work with you on progressive.. if
you cant get the runway of choice for whatever FBO you are desiring, and
I have never had any issues getting out.. they usually turn me 30
degrees to get me out of the 737's way after departure. Keep in mind I
am in my comfort level flying into busy class B airspace as a VFR pilot.
If you are used to a busy approach/towered field, it should not be a
problem. If it IS, then ADS isn't too far away, and while towered, isn't
as busy. It IS expensive tho. I've used Addison Express there.. and I
haven;t compared them to their competition.

Dave
EFD

Old April 18th 05, 04:49 PM
Dan Luke

"Dave S" wrote:
I have been to and highly recommend Regal Aviation. Its located on the
north side of the field, in between the parrallels. It is accessed by a
taxiway off of the eastern parrallel, so IF the tower/approach guys can
give you the east runway, take it and save some taxi time.

These guys put out the red carpet, send you a thank you card, and the
prices are reasonable for Love Field (Equal or cheaper, in my opinion).
Every time I've been there they have had a rental available without
calling ahead, but if you NEED one for sure, I would recommend calling
ahead. Its a little off the beaten path with regards to driving
directions, but not too hard to find.

I have been there overnight in a 172, a Cardinal and a 182, and each
time got the red carpet treatment. Once they even hangared me overnight
for free.

Sounds like my kinda place.

[...]

Thanks, Dave, great information. I love this newsgroup!

It sounds a lot like Hobby in Houston, which I fly IFR to regularly.
--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old April 18th 05, 08:30 PM
John Clonts

I agree with Dave about Regal. I went there on an Angel Flight and
they were awesome!

Seems to me Dave got his Easts and Wests mixed up (but maybe I just
misunderstand him). Regal is at the approach end of 13R which I would
call the "west parallel". And when I've come in from the south they've
vectored me to a right-hand downwind to the "west" runway (13R). Regal
is marked on the airport diagram at http://www.airnav.com/airport/DAL.

I trained at Houston Hobby in the '80's, I agree that its about the
same size and "feel".

--
Cheers!
John Clonts

Old April 19th 05, 03:15 PM
Dave S

I said:
paste
"Coming in from the South/Southeast, they will usually try to bring me
in on a vectored left downwind/left base to the west parallel rwy."

and I meant.. they usually TRY to send me to the east side, but if I am
nice enough they will let me use the west side (even though I have to
cross the field)..

Sorry I got it mixed up.. it was clear in my mind... just not at my
fingertips

Dave