Bush Prepares for Possible GPS Shutdown

Old December 17th 04, 12:00 PM
Thomas Borchert

Larry,

Well, if you can't intercept incoming missiles, you've got to do
something:

IF there are missiles. There are?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old December 17th 04, 12:00 PM
Thomas Borchert

Andrew,

But I don't see how it could be done regionally
w/o using something like jamming. Do the satellites have the ability to
block their signal to regions?

No, they don't. Yes, "in-theater-jamming" is the solution.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old December 17th 04, 12:21 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:35:49 GMT, "G.R. Patterson III"
wrote:

Dunno about that, but according to an article in the most recent AOPA Pilot, you
can't shoot a WAAS approach without some other navigation system (like a VOR
glide slope receiver) in the plane.

I did not see that article, and cannot locate it just now. But I don't
understand the logic that would imply that for a TSO146 GPS unit.

Can you elaborate?

Old December 17th 04, 12:59 PM
Happy Dog

"Slip'er" wrote in message

set back by what critics
called a stunning failure of its first full flight test in two
years.

I would hate having my experiments all open to public scrutiny.

Even if they're paying for it?

Old December 17th 04, 01:11 PM
Kai Glaesner

Jay,

including GPS, ILS, VOR, and NDB. I'm sure they've got some contingencies
to shut down access to the internet, for that matter.

Back in the old-days (when men gave birth to the internet ;-) it was called
ARPANet and it's design goal was surviving any kind of attac due to being
de-centralized...

So, guess that thing will last longer than we do..... ;-)

Regards

Kai

Old December 17th 04, 02:27 PM
Jay Honeck

Back in the old-days (when men gave birth to the internet ;-) it was
called
ARPANet and it's design goal was surviving any kind of attac due to being
de-centralized...

So, guess that thing will last longer than we do..... ;-)

I know the origins of the internet, and its supposed invulnerability.

But there are only a few dozen major computer networks providing the
backbone of the internet in the U.S. This is all speculation, of course,
but I would bet you ten bucks that there is an NSA task force whose main job
is to maintain the capability of (a) monitoring (b) defending, and (c)
disabling these networks, as needed.

Could they take down the whole internet? No. But could they prevent 90% of
Americans from seeing the internet? You bet -- at least for a time.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 17th 04, 03:06 PM

I'm not saying that. Just like I'm not saying there aren't VOR
approaches where the missed is based on having a working VOR. But VOR
receivers cash it in, as well. Don't recall seeing any, but there may
be some NDB approaches where the missed is based only on the NDB; I
don't shoot many of those any more. Plenty of planes have a single GPS
receiver...my response was about the similarlity between losing the
entire GPS system, and having your pretty new Garmin 430 go 'pzzzzt!'
and dark halfway into a GPS approach.

In both cases, you lack the ability to fly the published missed if the
missed is solely based on the GPS. So what? We aren't robots...we're
pilots. We think our way through things. If we're talking to approach
or tower, we tell them we lost the GPS and we need vectors for the
missed and a different approach. If we're not talking to anyone, then
we do what we can...does the airport have a VOR approach as well? Well,
given the spacing requirements between IFR traffic, then we fly *that*
missed, maybe.

I try to tell my students that one cannot prepare for *every*
possibility. That's one reason they have to *understand* what's going
on as they are doing something...not just be able to perform it by
rote. The probability of losing the entire GPS system is so low that it
doesn't even register on my radar. And the probability that I happen to
be on a GPS approach (in actual), not talking to ATC, on an approach
that has a missed procedure solely based on the GPS when they shut it
down? Probability quickly fading towards infinitely small...and if it
does somehow manage to happen? I'll find a way to deal with it, as
would you, and every other qualified pilot out there.

Cheers,

Cap

Larry Dighera wrote:
On 16 Dec 2004 12:40:02 -0800, wrote in
.com::

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:08:48 -0500, "Chris Gumm"

wrote
in ::

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/...&w=APO&coview=

Mo

http://q1.schwab.com/s/r?l=248&a=103...a&s=rb041 215

This begs the question, what do you do if you're on a GPS approach
when they shut the system down?

You mean other than go missed and shoot something else? Kind of

similar
to what you'd do if your GPS went South on you in the middle of an
approach?

Cap

So, you're saying there are no GPS approaches whose missed approach
procedures rely upon GPS?

Old December 17th 04, 03:23 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

I did not see that article, and cannot locate it just now. But I don't
understand the logic that would imply that for a TSO146 GPS unit.

Can you elaborate?

Well, I found that one and couldn't find the reference I thought I read. But I
did find another article that contained this "Currently, two manufacturers of GA
avionics — UPSAT and Chelton — have WAAS-certified receivers that can be used
for 'sole-source' IFR navigation, meaning no other navigation systems are
required on the aircraft. UPSAT expects to receive certification for vertical
navigation ('glideslope') within two months. Other manufacturers will be
offering WAAS receivers soon." That states I was wrong.

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
Old December 17th 04, 03:50 PM
Michael Houghton

Howdy!

That post would have been so much more informative if it included
even a brief executive summary of the article referenced. A one
line synopsis would have had some value.

Some of us read our news with a character based reader, and visiting
a link requires cut and paste into a web browser. I don't use a web
broswer to read email or news; these are not, fundamentally, web
applications. They are plain text applications.

yours,
Michael

| White Wolf and the Phoenix
Bowie, MD, USA | Tablet and Inkle bands, and other stuff

http://www.radix.net/~herveus/wwap/
Old December 17th 04, 03:54 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Michael Houghton wrote:

That post would have been so much more informative if it included
even a brief executive summary of the article referenced.

It doesn't matter - the article is BS anyway.

bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
God Honest Naval Aviation 2 July 24th 03 04:45 AM