Bush Prepares for Possible GPS Shutdown

Old December 20th 04, 02:23 AM
kage

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message

My point is this: While all of us probably knew that switching GPS off
was always an option, making it policy gives fuel to the Galileo
proponents.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

That would be a good thing. Let's have europe pull it's own weight for ONCE!

Karl

Old December 20th 04, 03:39 AM
Marty Shapiro

Thomas Borchert wrote in
:

G.R.,

See
http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsite...1216space.html

I saw. And I saw
http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/...21290001739682
&dt=20041215212900&w=APO&coview=

My point is this: While all of us probably knew that switching GPS off
was always an option, making it policy gives fuel to the Galileo
proponents.

The policy of switching off navigation aids under certain conditions has
existed since the early 1960's. The only thing "new" is that the law just
enacted adds GPS to other navigation aids, such as VOR. Read up on SCATANA
(also called SCANTANA). If you dig through some of the news releases, a
limited SCATANA was put into effect on 9/11.

SCATANA is not secret. You can read about it in part 245 of USC 32,
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/w...cfr245_00.html

Other references can be found at:
http://www.faa.gov/ATpubs/MIL/Ch6/mil0604.html
http://www.fly-low.com/features/scatana.html

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)
Old December 20th 04, 04:59 AM
Sully

It would be interesting to see the differences between the one this
replaced and the current one. It was very interesting reading though
and I think this is another one of the news media's ways of creating
as much panic as possible. There has always been a policy and plan to
shut off GPS availability to keep hostile forces from using it. Yes
Clinton did shut off the degradation portion of it because there was
so much stuff available to correct for it. Even then he did reserve
the right to turn it back on whenever he wanted or it was deemed that
it was needed. Most of what I seen in this was dealing with the
possibility of the system being jammed to where it can't be used in
it's present form. Yes it did mention that it could be denied in
areas of military operations "Deny to adversaries position,
navigation, and timing services from the Global
Positioning System, its augmentations, and/or any other space-based
position,
navigation, and timing systems without unduly disrupting civil,
commercial, and
scientific uses of these services outside an area of military
operations, or for
homeland security purposes; and..." I could be wrong but I do believe
there will be a "TFR" for the military area and you probably wouldn't
want to be flying in that area any way!

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:54:09 -0500, Ron Rosenfeld
wrote:

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:47:46 +0100, Thomas Borchert
wrote:

Ron,

Do you think AOPA's interpretation is incorrect?

I don't know. All I notice is that AOPA seems to be the only voice
interpreting it this way.

Perhaps you should read the report itself

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsite...pace_facts.pdf

and make your own interpretation, instead of relying on various news
services whose record of accuracy, with regard to aviation matters, has
been less than stellar.

You should also put the document in context with what has been going on in
the past.

I have no doubt that news services no longer just report the news. Rather
they interpret it according to their own agendas. I believe that is what
you are seeing here.

Old December 20th 04, 05:13 AM
Dave Stadt

"Sully" wrote in message
[...]

wrote:

GPS has had localized areas shut down in the past for various reasons. This
whole thing is nothing new and is not worth a mention.

Old December 20th 04, 04:48 PM
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 05:13:43 GMT, "Dave Stadt"
wrote in ::

This whole thing is nothing new and is not worth a mention.

Apparently, what's new is the fact, that GPS shutdown decisions will
now include the DOT as well as the DOD.

bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
God Honest Naval Aviation 2 July 24th 03 04:45 AM