Use of 'Back up' camera with glider trailer

Old January 1st 13, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default Use of 'Back up' camera with glider trailer

Anyone use a camera on their glider trailer?

I'm thinking about mounting a backup camera(s) on the fin of my glider trailer (one pointed forward and one pointed backwards). My motivation is mostly to raise the odds during lane changes. I recently priced the hardware on Amazon. You can get a multi-camera capable 7" screen and two cameras for less than $100.

It's also becoming more common to record what the camera sees to establish fault in accidents.
Old January 2nd 13, 04:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 1/1/2013 11:26 AM, son_of_flubber wrote:
Anyone use a camera on their glider trailer?

I'm thinking about mounting a backup camera(s) on the fin of my
glider trailer (one pointed forward and one pointed backwards). My
motivation is mostly to raise the odds during lane changes. I
recently priced the hardware on Amazon. You can get a multi-camera
capable 7" screen and two cameras for less than $100.

It's also becoming more common to record what the camera sees to
establish fault in accidents.

What's the link? I'm somewhat interested.

email me)
Old January 3rd 13, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Tuesday, January 1, 2013 10:54:52 PM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:

What's the link? I'm somewhat interested.

I recently shopped this tech as a favor to a friend and I post below my results. I've not actually held these components in my hands and I've not gotten feedback from the friend. My selection is based on reviews. One thing that I learned is to buy your cameras and screen separately for best price and quality. The package deals are overpriced and haphazardly put together.. Quality is not proportional to price. The other general impression is that these things are so cheap now that you should anticipate them failing. Also read that the wireless cameras are prone to weak signal and interference. There are a few "review sites" that also sell the same cameras that they rank (conflict of interest). Seems like Consumer Reports must have reviewed these things but I did not get that far. The stated 'angle of view' are often erroneous.

Waterproof Car Rear Vehicle Backup View Camera High-definition Cmos
170 Degree Viewing Angle E363

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2KUZVNQ9LP7N9

7 inch TFT Color LCD Car Rear View Camera Monitor Support Rotating The
Screen and 2 AV Inputs. Push button to switch cameras.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=A7XHMWMCZ9EID

This includes a dash mount for the screen.

My next question of course is "Has anyone put a backup camera in their glider?"
Old January 3rd 13, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I put a backup camera on my pickup camper, and it works very well, with some caveats:

- I prefer a 'wired' camera vs the 'wireless' style. I tried a wireless one to start with, and the quality was terrible. The wired style is a hassle too, but at least you can see.

- Get a good quality camera with IR LED's integrated into the camera. This is essential for low/no light operation.

You might consider a camera on your tow vehicle instead of the trailer. This would eliminate the need for yet another cable between the trailer and the tow vehicle, and would allow one camera to view the entire trailer and surroundings.

See

http://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-Choos...00000000037397

and

http://reviews.ebay.com/Buying-From-...00000012109535

For more information.

Frank (TA)

Old January 3rd 13, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Thursday, January 3, 2013 10:52:03 AM UTC-5, wrote:

You might consider a camera on your tow vehicle instead of the trailer. This would eliminate the need for yet another cable between the trailer and the tow vehicle, and would allow one camera to view the entire trailer and surroundings.

Putting the camera on the tow vehicle is easier, but the camera has to be mounted high enough above the top of trailer. Possibly on a roof rack.

I was wondering if anyone had experience putting the camera farther back and whether that provided a better point of view for lane changing. I find it difficult to judge where the end of the trailer is positioned relative to other traffic using side mirrors alone. A Volvo XC70 is otherwise a good tow vehicle, but I only see the front of the trailer in my center mounted rear view mirror.
Old January 3rd 13, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Thursday, January 3, 2013 1:16:33 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Thursday, January 3, 2013 10:52:03 AM UTC-5, wrote:

You might consider a camera on your tow vehicle instead of the trailer. This would eliminate the need for yet another cable between the trailer and the tow vehicle, and would allow one camera to view the entire trailer and surroundings.

Putting the camera on the tow vehicle is easier, but the camera has to be mounted high enough above the top of trailer. Possibly on a roof rack.

I was wondering if anyone had experience putting the camera farther back and whether that provided a better point of view for lane changing. I find it difficult to judge where the end of the trailer is positioned relative to other traffic using side mirrors alone. A Volvo XC70 is otherwise a good tow vehicle, but I only see the front of the trailer in my center mounted rear view mirror.

You change lanes when the vehicle in the lane next to you is no closer than the vehicle immediately behind you. It's not hard.

T8
Old January 4th 13, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JohnDeRosa

My use is different than your intended use. I borrowed a friends car
that had a built in backup camera and MAN did that make it easy to
align my trailer to the hitch.

I purchased this cheap camera == http://www.ebay.com/itm/230884341173.
I found that this style was better at aligning my trailer to the hitch
than the cameras that mount to the license plate. I mounted it onto a
long strip of aluminum and throw it over the top of the tailgate only
when needed. I use a small 3.5" LCD screen that can handle two
cameras and auto switches between the two. Plug into the cig lighter
and away I go.

My next tow vehicle will definitely have this as standard equipment!

- John

Old January 7th 13, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

My next question of course is "Has anyone put a backup camera in their glider?"

Required equipment in World Class ;-)

TA