What are you guys using for cockpit lights these days?

Old December 4th 03, 10:22 AM
Stealth Pilot

Default What are you guys using for cockpit lights these days?

My Tailwind had a really neat cockpit light on a stalk that went on
the fritz on me. It was on a bendable mount attached to one of the
roof struts.

I've been looking around for a few months now and havent found
anything remotely suitable to replace it.

I've even thought of taking one of the mid sized maglites and
machining up a fitting to put it on the end of the flexible mount then
using a 12 volt to 1.5volt stepdown regulator to power it.

I've noticed those little 12 volt dichroic lights are used in the new
boeings as the passenger reading lights so I'd assumed that they were
around as aircraft interior lights but a look around hasnt uncovered
anything.

the light was installed by the previous owner for instrument
illumination on those sneak back after dark long flights. (he was
instrument rated)
my use of it has just been for fetching something from the cockpit
after dark while tenting at flyins.

can anyone point me to a small aircraft quality interior light on a
bendable stalk ? preferably not plastic.
thanks
Stealth Pilot
Australia
Old December 4th 03, 11:12 AM
Kevin Horton

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 18:22:14 +0800, Stealth Pilot wrote:

can anyone point me to a small aircraft quality interior light on a
bendable stalk ? preferably not plastic. thanks
Stealth Pilot
Australia

Bob Nuckolls has recommended this one in the past:

http://www.bandc.biz/cgi-bin/ez-cata...0X358218#gcl-1

--
Kevin Horton RV-8 (finishing kit)
Ottawa, Canada

Old December 5th 03, 12:37 AM
Paul Lee

I simply wired together and made my own lighting using the 12V
hi intensity LED bulbs available from www.digikey.com
- part numbers 441-1008-ND or 441-1009-ND. Should last
a lifetime.
You can see my assembly at http://www.abri.com/sq2000/control42.jpg

Paul Lee, SQ2000 canard project: www.abri.com/sq2000

Old December 5th 03, 04:29 PM
Stealth Pilot

On 4 Dec 2003 16:37:19 -0800, (Paul Lee) wrote:

I simply wired together and made my own lighting using the 12V
hi intensity LED bulbs available from
www.digikey.com
- part numbers 441-1008-ND or 441-1009-ND. Should last
a lifetime.
You can see my assembly at http://www.abri.com/sq2000/control42.jpg

Paul Lee, SQ2000 canard project: www.abri.com/sq2000

I think I'll be brewing up something like Pauls and Phils led setups.
(neat little box paul)
thanks guys
Stealth Pilot
Old December 5th 03, 02:43 AM
Bushy

You could modify one of those laptop lights that plug into a PS2 or USB
port, as they are available at various quality, some in plastic, some in
metal. A voltage regulator or resistor would still be required.

Hope this helps,
Peter

Old December 5th 03, 06:19 AM
Phil Sisson, Litchfield Aerobatic Club

I am using two little rotatable things from Van's for white lights. Their
cheap and bright. rotate in in about any hemisperical direction.

I have 5 wide angle LED's from Radio shack mounted in the roll bar. there
is one resistor for each one and a dimmer to control all of them. These
are for my RED.....

Phil

Old December 9th 03, 09:14 AM
JH

I took a 'moonlight' that I got at Orielly's Automotive, placed a small
piece of red plastic inside the dome of the light and mounted it with
velcro. Not as fancy as most, but it emits a soft glow that is not
irritating, is movable, can be also be used as a white light, can be handed
to the backseat passanger to use (RV4), and cost about 3.50 with tax and 2
AA batteries.

Joe

"Phil Sisson, Litchfield Aerobatic Club" wrote in
message ...