Maybe GWB isn't lying........

Old February 1st 04, 04:52 PM
JD

Default Maybe GWB isn't lying........

The media and most democrats charge President Bush lied to the American
people and led us into a war over oil. Even if you disregard GWB 1 and the
war re Kuwait, in any attempt to be fair, you have to take these quotes into
consideration:

"One way or the other, we are determined to deny Iraq the capacity to
develop weapons of mass destruction and the missiles to deliver them.
That is our bottom line."
- President Clinton, Feb. 4, 1998

"If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear.
We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass
destruction program."
- President Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998

"Iraq is a long way from [the USA], but what happens there matters a
great deal
here. For the risks that the leaders of a rogue state will use nuclear,
chemical or biological weapons against us or our allies is the greatest
security threat we face."
- Madeline Albright, Feb 18, 1998

"He will use those weapons of mass destruction again, as he has ten times
since 1983."
- Sandy Berger, Clinton National Security Adviser, Feb, 18, 1998

"[W]e urge you, after consulting with Congress, and consistent with the
U.S.
Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions (including, if
appropriate,
air and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites) to respond effectively to
the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction
programs."
- Letter to President Clinton, signed by Sens. Carl Levin,
Tom Daschle, John Kerry, and others Oct. 9, 1998

"Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass
destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and
he
has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process."
- Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA), Dec. 16, 1998

"Hussein has ... chosen to spend his money on building weapons of mass
destruction and palaces for his cronies."
- Madeline Albright, Clinton Secretary of State, Nov. 10, 1999

"There is no doubt that ... Saddam Hussein has invigorated his weapons
programs. Reports indicate that biological, chemical and nuclear
programs
continue apace and may be back to pre-Gulf War status. In addition,
Saddam
continues to redefine delivery systems and is doubtless using the cover
of a
licit missile program to develop longer-range missiles that will threaten
the United States and our allies."
- Letter to President Bush, Signed by Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL,)
and others, December 5, 2001

"We begin with the common belief that Saddam Hussein is a tyrant and a
threat to the peace and stability of the region. He has ignored the
mandated of the United Nations and is building weapons of mass
destruction
and the means of delivering them."
- Sen. Carl Levin (D, MI), Sept. 19, 2002

"We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical
weapons throughout his country."
- Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

"Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to
deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is
in
power."
- Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

"We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and
developing
weapons of mass destruction."
- Sen. Ted Kennedy (D, MA), Sept. 27, 2002

"The last UN weapons inspectors left Iraq in October of 1998. We are
confident that Saddam Hussein retains some stockpiles of chemical and
biological weapons, and that he has since embarked on a crash course to
build up his chemical and biological warfare capabilities. Intelligence
reports indicate that he is seeking nuclear weapons..."
- Sen. Robert Byrd (D, WV), Oct. 3, 2002

"I will be voting to give the President of the United States the
authority
to use force-- if necessary-- to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe
that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a
real
and grave threat to our security."
- Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Oct. 9, 2002

"There is unmistakable evidence that Saddam Hussein is working
aggressively
to develop nuclear weapons and will likely have nuclear weapons within
the
next five years ... We also should remember we have always underestimated
the progress Saddam has made in development of weapons of mass
destruction."
- Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D, WV), Oct 10, 2002

"He has systematically violated, over the course of the past 11 years,
every
significant UN resolution that has demanded that he disarm and destroy
his
chemical and biological weapons, and any nuclear capacity. This he has
refused to do" Rep.
- Henry Waxman (D, CA), Oct. 10, 2002

"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show
that
Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weap ons
stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has
also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including al Qaeda
members
.. It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will
continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical
warfare,
and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons."
- Sen. Hillary Clinton (D, NY), Oct 10, 2002

"We are in possession of what I think to be compelling evidence that
Saddam
Hussein has, and has had for a number of years, a developing capacity for
the production and storage of weapons of mass destruction."
- Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL), Dec. 8, 2002

"Without question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal,
murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime ... He presents a
particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to
miscalculation ... And now he is miscalculating America's response to his
continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction
... So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is
real
..."
- Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Jan. 23. 2003

Now who's lying?

Old February 1st 04, 04:58 PM
Tom Cervo

Now who's lying?

"There's no question that Iraq was a threat to the people of the United
States."

- White House spokeswoman Claire Buchan, 8/26/03

"We ended the threat from Saddam Hussein's weapons of mass destruction."

- President Bush, 7/17/03

Iraq was "the most dangerous threat of our time."

- White House spokesman Scott McClellan, 7/17/03

"Saddam Hussein is no longer a threat to the United States because we removed
him, but he was a threat...He was a threat. He's not a threat now."

- President Bush, 7/2/03

"Absolutely."

- White House spokesman Ari Fleischer answering whether Iraq was an "imminent
threat," 5/7/03

"We gave our word that the threat from Iraq would be ended."

- President Bush 4/24/03

"The threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction will be removed."

- Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, 3/25/03

"It is only a matter of time before the Iraqi regime is destroyed and its
threat to the region and the world is ended."

- Pentagon spokeswoman Victoria Clarke, 3/22/03

"The people of the United States and our friends and allies will not live at
the mercy of an outlaw regime that threatens the peace with weapons of mass
murder."

- President Bush, 3/19/03

"The dictator of Iraq and his weapons of mass destruction are a threat to the
security of free nations."

- President Bush, 3/16/03

"This is about imminent threat."

- White House spokesman Scott McClellan, 2/10/03

Iraq is "a serious threat to our country, to our friends and to our allies."

- Vice President Dick Cheney, 1/31/03

Iraq poses "terrible threats to the civilized world."

- Vice President Dick Cheney, 1/30/03

Iraq "threatens the United States of America."

- Vice President Cheney, 1/30/03

"Iraq poses a serious and mounting threat to our country. His regime has the
design for a nuclear weapon, was working on several different methods of
enriching uranium, and recently was discovered seeking significant quantities
of uranium from Africa."

- Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, 1/29/03

"Saddam Hussein possesses chemical and biological weapons. Iraq poses a threat
to the security of our people and to the stability of the world that is
distinct from any other. It's a danger to its neighbors, to the United States,
to the Middle East and to the international peace and stability. It's a danger
we cannot ignore. Iraq and North Korea are both repressive dictatorships to be
sure and both pose threats. But Iraq is unique. In both word and deed, Iraq has
demonstrated that it is seeking the means to strike the United States and our
friends and allies with weapons of mass destruction."

- Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, 1/20/03

"The Iraqi regime is a threat to any American. They not only have weapons of
mass destruction, they used weapons of mass destruction...That's why I say Iraq
is a threat, a real threat."

- President Bush, 1/3/03

"The world is also uniting to answer the unique and urgent threat posed by Iraq
whose dictator has already used weapons of mass destruction to kill thousands."

- President Bush, 11/23/02

"I would look you in the eye and I would say, go back before September 11 and
ask yourself this question: Was the attack that took place on September 11 an
imminent threat the month before or two months before or three months before or
six months before? When did the attack on September 11 become an imminent
threat? Now, transport yourself forward a year, two years or a week or a
month...So the question is, when is it such an immediate threat that you must
do something?"

- Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, 11/14/02

"Saddam Hussein is a threat to America."

- President Bush, 11/3/02

"I see a significant threat to the security of the United States in Iraq."

- President Bush, 11/1/02

"There is real threat, in my judgment, a real and dangerous threat to American
in Iraq in the form of Saddam Hussein."

- President Bush, 10/28/02

"The Iraqi regime is a serious and growing threat to peace."

- President Bush, 10/16/02

"There are many dangers in the world, the threat from Iraq stands alone because
it gathers the most serious dangers of our age in one place. Iraq could decide
on any given day to provide a biological or chemical weapon to a terrorist
group or individual terrorists."

- President Bush, 10/7/02

"The Iraqi regime is a threat of unique urgency."

- President Bush, 10/2/02

"There's a grave threat in Iraq. There just is."

- President Bush, 10/2/02

"This man poses a much graver threat than anybody could have possibly
imagined."

- President Bush, 9/26/02

"No terrorist state poses a greater or more immediate threat to the security of
our people and the stability of the world than the regime of Saddam Hussein in
Iraq."

- Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, 9/19/02

"Some have argued that the nuclear threat from Iraq is not imminent - that
Saddam is at least 5-7 years away from having nuclear weapons. I would not be
so certain. And we should be just as concerned about the immediate threat from
biological weapons. Iraq has these weapons."

- Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, 9/18/02

"Iraq is busy enhancing its capabilities in the field of chemical and
biological agents, and they continue to pursue an aggressive nuclear weapons
program. These are offensive weapons for the purpose of inflicting death on a
massive scale, developed so that Saddam Hussein can hold the threat over the
head of any one he chooses. What we must not do in the face of this mortal
threat is to give in to wishful thinking or to willful blindness."

- Vice President Dick Cheney, 8/29/02

Old February 1st 04, 05:03 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"JD" wrote in message

The media and most democrats charge President Bush lied to the American
people and led us into a war over oil. Even if you disregard GWB 1 and

the
war re Kuwait, in any attempt to be fair, you have to take these quotes

into
consideration:

"One way or the other, we are determined to deny Iraq the capacity to
develop weapons of mass destruction and the missiles to deliver them.
That is our bottom line."
- President Clinton, Feb. 4, 1998

An obvious lie, since no significant WMD have been found to date.

- Madeline Albright, Feb 18, 1998

An obvious lie, since no significant WMD have been found to date.

"He will use those weapons of mass destruction again, as he has ten

times
since 1983."
- Sandy Berger, Clinton National Security Adviser, Feb, 18, 1998

An obvious lie, since no significant WMD have been found to date.

"[W]e urge you, after consulting with Congress, and consistent with the
U.S.
Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions (including, if
appropriate,
air and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites) to respond effectively

the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end its weapons of mass

destruction
programs."
- Letter to President Clinton, signed by Sens. Carl Levin,
Tom Daschle, John Kerry, and others Oct. 9, 1998

They were obviously lying, since no significant WMD have been found to date.

Old February 1st 04, 05:09 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Tom Cervo" wrote in message

[...]

One wonders why the war is an issue, since there seems to be near universal
agreement among US politicos.

Old February 1st 04, 05:26 PM
Bill Kambic

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message

An obvious lie, since no significant WMD have been found to date.

Now who's lying?

All of the above.

One of the more difficult lessons every parent has to teach their children
is the difference between a lie and a mistake. It takes some time but
brighter children figure it out.

Sadly, the pundits who infest political capitols and the ranks of the fourth
estate either are not that bright or choose to disregard the difference.

Or, put another way, a disingenuous media "talking head" is as least as
dangerous as a disingenous politician (or "intelligence expert").

Bill Kambic

If, by any act, error, or omission, I have, intentionally or
unintentionally, displayed any breedist, disciplinist, sexist, racist,
culturalist, nationalist, regionalist, localist, ageist, lookist, ableist,
sizeist, speciesist, intellectualist, socioeconomicist, ethnocentrist,
phallocentrist, heteropatriarchalist, or other violation of the rules of
political correctness, known or unknown, I am not sorry and I encourage you
to get over it.

Old February 1st 04, 06:16 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Bill Kambic" wrote in message

One of the more difficult lessons every parent has to teach their children
is the difference between a lie and a mistake. It takes some time but
brighter children figure it out.

Sadly, the pundits who infest political capitols and the ranks of the

fourth
estate either are not that bright or choose to disregard the difference.

As are many users of these forums.

Old February 1st 04, 11:21 PM
Rick Folkers

Funny thing about quoting everybody in the world who ever thought Iraq might
have WMD's, they were all too smart to use it as an excuse for going to war.
Only George made that mistake.

War is too important, too big a step, to enter into without being sure and
honest with the people of the country. Bush either lied or did not insure
his information was correct. Either fault in a president cannot be excused
and he must go.

I supported the war and still think it was the right thing to do. And I
voted for Bush in 2000. But the contempt with which he held the people and
the brave men and women of the military in taking them to war over a false
reason makes him just another low life politician. And that is saying
nothing about his disasterous domestic policy.

Old February 1st 04, 11:29 PM
Rick Folkers

Ya, label everybody who disagrees with you and you can dismiss their
arguments
without actually considering them. Good sign of an open mind.

If it was not a lie not being sure about something you take your country to
war about
is inexucsable and grossly negligent. Unless of course you lied because you
were going
to attack anyway.

Old February 2nd 04, 11:23 PM
fudog50

Rick,
Some of the things you say make sense, a lot of it. But where
are you coming up with the idea that we ousted Saddam over just WMD's?
At least try to remember back that far and remember all the UN
resolutions, and his atrocities against his own people, and threats to
use WMD's against the US.
Why would he threaten us if he didn't have them? Is it your
position that we could have found out if he really had them by
waiting for him to use them?
Saddam did this to himself with his lying, playing shell games
and distorting his claims to having WMD's. Pres. Bush did the right
thing in removing the greatest WMD, Saddam Hussein.

need to On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 16:29:48 -0600, "Rick Folkers"

Old February 21st 04, 01:41 PM
Giz

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
k.net...

"JD" wrote in message

The media and most democrats charge President Bush lied to the American
people and led us into a war over oil. Even if you disregard GWB 1 and

the
war re Kuwait, in any attempt to be fair, you have to take these quotes

into
consideration:

"One way or the other, we are determined to deny Iraq the capacity to
develop weapons of mass destruction and the missiles to deliver them.
That is our bottom line."
- President Clinton, Feb. 4, 1998

An obvious lie, since no significant WMD have been found to date.

Really? How many people could be killed by 1 gallon of Anthrax spores?
How difficult would that be to hide? How many could have been killed by
the 7 pound block of cyanide found a few weeks ago? In powder form it
would have been EXTREMELY dangerous. How difficult would it be to
deliver either via zealout? Programs of a large scale have not been found,
and it appears that the nuke issue may not be a big deal. Although, the
yellow cake uranium that turned up in Europe from a iron salvage deal
is interesting. Officially, Iraq had none, so how did that turn up? My
point?
That is hasn't been proven yet doesn't make it untrue. The cyanide was
found,
and had the potential, if delivered as an aerosol to kill more people than
9/11,
so how do you define WMD?