EDM-800 engine analyzer?

Old May 22nd 04, 09:13 PM
Jeff

Default EDM-800 engine analyzer?

does anyone here have the EDM-800 engine analyzer?
if so what do you think about it, is it as good as the advertisements?

Old May 22nd 04, 10:22 PM
HECTOP

"Jeff" wrote in message
does anyone here have the EDM-800 engine analyzer?

yeah, we had it on my favorite Grumman Tiger at the club in KBDR, helped a
lot fine tune mixture and save fuel, especially on long x-c flights

HECTOP
PP-ASEL-IA
http://www.maxho.com
maxho_at_maxho.com

Old May 23rd 04, 01:45 AM
HECTOP

"Jeff" wrote in message
does it really give you your % of horse power and did it seem accurate to
you?

I never really used the horse power meter, the only things that really
matter are EGT and fuel flow, but according to pilot's guide it is simply a
user programmed constant. You would need a dynamometer to measure actual
horsepower accurately.

"Section 9 - Programming the EDM-800 Horsepower Constant
You must adjust the HP Constant once for your aircraft. The Fuel Flow
Option is required to be installed to display percent of horsepower.
The default display will be RPM if Fuel Flow is not operational. You
must perform this adjustment in the air while the aircraft is in flight."

See: http://www.jpinstruments.com/PG_700-800%20Rev_R%202.PDF

HECTOP
PP-ASEL-IA
http://www.maxho.com
maxho_at_maxho.com

Old May 23rd 04, 02:45 AM
Viperdoc

I have an EDM 760 in my twin, and it has been very useful. First, it
immediately can identify a fouled plug, or plugged injector. This saves a
lot of time searching for and cleaning plugs when the engine runs rough on
one mag at runup.

It also helps in mixture management when leaning, and helps to protect the
engine regarding the CHT's.

Fuel flow is also a bonus, particularly in combination with a GPS that will
calculate range, endurance, etc.

Overall, they add a lot of efficiency and safety.

Old May 23rd 04, 04:05 AM
Jeff

I have the GEM 603 by insight , but its not working very good, I think the
temps are way off on it, I had sent it in a year ago because the T I T was
inop and it came back with the temps not working correctly.
I saw that the new EDM800 showed % power and that it got its information from
OAT, RPM,fuel flow and so on to display the current % of power, since I fly at
65% power it would save me from figuring out the standard temp at my altitude
then adding/subtracting MP to get 65%.
so since my GEM seems to not be working correctly I was hoping to replace it
with the new EDM800, but it if cant show the % power like the advertisement
says, then a cheaper replacement may have to do.

Old May 23rd 04, 07:51 AM
tony roberts

does anyone here have the EDM-800 engine analyzer?
if so what do you think about it, is it as good as the advertisements?

I have the Electronics International one.
It's the best thing I ever bought for the plane.
My advice is if you can afford it - do it. You will be pleased that you
did.

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old May 24th 04, 08:26 PM
Jack McAdams

I have the EDM-800 in my Beech Sundowner. It is, in general,
outstanding. I do have an ongoing issue with the fuel flow however -
it can't be trusted. It seems to always read high - but not at a
consistent rate. After almost 2 years of playing with the K-Factor I'm
a bit frustrated. The A&P who installed it ordered a test gizmo from
JPI to see if it is bad. I doubt it, but we will see.

I also added the oil temp and carb temp options. They work perfectly.

The %HP is way off - but that is most likely a result of the screwed
up fuel flow situation.

Jack

Engine analyzer. R.T. Owning 14 November 27th 04 09:57 AM
Proposals for air breathing hypersonic craft. I Robert Clark Military Aviation 2 May 26th 04 06:42 PM
Tanis Pre-heater with Engine Analyzer O. Sami Saydjari Owning 12 January 29th 04 12:50 PM
Real stats on engine failures? Captain Wubba Piloting 127 December 8th 03 04:09 PM
Corky's engine choice Corky Scott Home Built 39 August 8th 03 04:29 AM