A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Max flaps IAS for ASG-32Mi

Old June 28th 20, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jp
external usenet poster

Default Max flaps IAS for ASG-32Mi

I have read, and re-read, the POH for the ASG-32Mi and am uncertain of the recommended and max IAS for the various flap settings.

On p. 118 there is a diagram of what I suppose are the recommended, effective flap IAS ranges. On the ASI are marked the max IAS for flapa 5,6 and for flaps L. These ASI markings are also documented on p. 30 of the POH.

By the way, I know the POH, at least the POH I have, does not have page numbers. The page numbers I note above are indicated on the software I use to read the POH on my computer.

So, the ASI marking shows a max IAS of about 97 kts. for flaps 5 and 6. My guess is this means I need to get to flaps 4, let's say, if I tiptoe above an IAS of 97 kts. Is this correct?

On the other hand, on p. 118 (sorry) I read the top of, I guess, the effective IAS for flaps 5 is about 47 kts.

Does all this mean that I can fly flaps 5 at a max IAS of 97 kts but the useful top IAS for flaps 5 is 47 kts.?

Forgive my utter ignorance of flaps on gliders. I am just beginning to sort out flapped gliders.

Thank you.

Old June 28th 20, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler
external usenet poster

On Saturday, June 27, 2020 at 9:03:42 PM UTC-4, jp wrote:
Forgive my utter ignorance of flaps on gliders.
I am just beginning to sort out flapped gliders.

Hi JP, hope you are well!
Just get the auto-flap upgrade and forget about all of this stuff.
I hear that's what Jim Payne's done.
See ya, Dave
Old June 28th 20, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jp
external usenet poster

On Saturday, June 27, 2020 at 6:09:17 PM UTC-7, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Saturday, June 27, 2020 at 9:03:42 PM UTC-4, jp wrote:
Forgive my utter ignorance of flaps on gliders.
I am just beginning to sort out flapped gliders.

Hi JP, hope you are well!
Just get the auto-flap upgrade and forget about all of this stuff.
I hear that's what Jim Payne's done.
See ya, Dave

Hi Dave. I'm well. I hope you are too.

I did not know about auto-flap for the ASG. Likely costs more than my car though.
Old June 28th 20, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Williams has a poh online. It mentions flaps 126 times. Max speeds are in 3 major places, but all the other stuff seems useful as well. (Like spin recovery or landing.)

Page 2.4 section 2.3 explains the asi markings with an eye towards not over stressing anything. (See also load factors at 2.9)

Page 4.29 section 4.5.4 seems a good overview of the intent for each flap setting.

Page 5.14 5.3.4 shows the boundary speed lines between flap settings for different total weights. These are flying optimally.
Old June 28th 20, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jp
external usenet poster

On Sunday, June 28, 2020 at 6:55:39 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Williams has a poh online. It mentions flaps 126 times. Max speeds are in 3 major places, but all the other stuff seems useful as well. (Like spin recovery or landing.)

Page 2.4 section 2.3 explains the asi markings with an eye towards not over stressing anything. (See also load factors at 2.9)

Page 4.29 section 4.5.4 seems a good overview of the intent for each flap setting.

Page 5.14 5.3.4 shows the boundary speed lines between flap settings for different total weights. These are flying optimally.

Thank you stu8. I do have the POH and I have read the sections you point out. I'll read the POH again and see if I can sort out the flaps info well enough for me to use the info.