Flying to Payson, AZ

Old October 2nd 09, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
FMO

Default Flying to Payson, AZ

On Saturday I will be flying to Payson AZ from KCHD, this is my first time
in the area and was wondering if there are any local procedures for landing
at KPAN. Some guy at KCHD told me today that he got yelled at recently for
over-flying KPAN mid field 1000 over TPA before descending into the 45 for
the downwind

Thanks

FMO

Old October 2nd 09, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ęslop

"FMO" wrote in message
On Saturday I will be flying to Payson AZ from KCHD, this is my first time
in the area and was wondering if there are any local procedures for
landing at KPAN. Some guy at KCHD told me today that he got yelled at
recently for over-flying KPAN mid field 1000 over TPA before descending
into the 45 for the downwind

Not sure who would have "yelled", or for what. You're approaching from the
south, just make sure you're at least 1000 AGL over town. It's a right
pattern for 24 and left for 6 keeping you north of the runway and away from
town.

We overfly midfield and enter downwind directly. I've only flown in twice,
but never had any issues doing that.

Old October 2nd 09, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Adams[_1_]

"Ęslop" wrote:

"FMO" wrote in message
On Saturday I will be flying to Payson AZ from KCHD, this is my first
time in the area and was wondering if there are any local procedures
for landing at KPAN. Some guy at KCHD told me today that he got
yelled at recently for over-flying KPAN mid field 1000 over TPA
before descending into the 45 for the downwind

Not sure who would have "yelled", or for what. You're approaching from
the south, just make sure you're at least 1000 AGL over town. It's a
right pattern for 24 and left for 6 keeping you north of the runway
and away from town.

We overfly midfield and enter downwind directly. I've only flown in
twice, but never had any issues doing that.

Yes, this is correct. I've been there many times. They moved the pattern to
the north side of the runway a few years ago. You can overfly mid-field, or
come in from west of the field and enter the downwind directly. Runway 24
is normally the runway in use, unless the winds are significant out of the
east.

Mike

Old October 4th 09, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
FMO

When I got there this morning the runway was temporary closed as a 172 had
nosed over when the front gear collaped - had to circle for a while

Old October 4th 09, 05:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ęslop

"FMO" wrote in message
When I got there this morning the runway was temporary closed as a 172 had
nosed over when the front gear collaped - had to circle for a while

I wondered what was going on. I went to Whiteriver this morning, and the
CTAF is the same. I heard the communications, and thought this was an odd
weekend for so much traffic. I assume no injuries?

Old October 4th 09, 05:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
FMO

I wondered what was going on. I went to Whiteriver this morning, and the
CTAF is the same. I heard the communications, and thought this was an odd
weekend for so much traffic. I assume no injuries?

No injuries.

Old October 5th 09, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blanche

There was also a Colorado Pilots flyin this weekend at Payson. Haven't
heard if the 172 was one of ours or not.
Old October 6th 09, 06:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
FMO

IDENTIFICATION Regis#: 7810T Make/Model: C172 Description: 172,
P172, R172, Skyhawk, Hawk XP, Cutla Date: 10/03/2009 Time: 1600 Event
Type: Accident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing: N Damage:
Substantial LOCATION City: PAYSON State: AZ Country: US DESCRIPTION
AIRCRAFT ON LANDING, NOSE GEAR COLLAPSED, PAYSON, AZ INJURY DATA Total
Fatal: 0 # Crew: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min:
0 Unk: # Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0
Min: 0 Unk: # Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0
Min: 0 Unk: WEATHER: NOT REPORTED OTHER DATA Activity: Pleasure
Phase: Landing Operation: OTHER FAA FSDO: SCOTTSDALE, AZ (WP07)

Old October 7th 09, 06:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blanche

According to witnesses, the 172 was doing pattern work. Did a number
on the aircraft.