A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Looking for Sail Plane to conduct Ground Vibration Flutter Test

Old June 23rd 20, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Looking for Sail Plane to conduct Ground Vibration Flutter Test

I am looking for a sale plane (i.e., a test structure) to use for Ground Vibration Tests (GVT) during our Hands-On Modal Testing & Analysis Seminar. The objective is to identify the wing "flutter" modes. We'll also create an FE Model for FEM-Test correlation and FE Moel Updating. The plane will never fly, it is simply a test structure. The wing span should be in the 10' to 15' range. Thanks, Jim Steedman [714-441-3488, , www.navcon.com]
Old June 24th 20, 06:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, June 23, 2020 at 10:51:40 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I am looking for a sale plane (i.e., a test structure) to use for Ground Vibration Tests (GVT) during our Hands-On Modal Testing & Analysis Seminar. The objective is to identify the wing "flutter" modes. We'll also create an FE Model for FEM-Test correlation and FE Moel Updating. The plane will never fly, it is simply a test structure. The wing span should be in the 10' to 15' range. Thanks, Jim Steedman [714-441-3488, , www.navcon.com]

It would be nice to know if this is a destructive or non-destructive test. Lack of candor implies it is destructive.

Tom
Old June 24th 20, 06:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, June 23, 2020 at 11:04:49 PM UTC-6, 2G wrote:

It would be nice to know if this is a destructive or non-destructive test.. Lack of candor implies it is destructive.

Tom

How many people have a full scale sailplane with a 15' wingspan? Perhaps this should be on a RC model forum someplace.
Old June 24th 20, 01:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kenz Dale
external usenet poster

It would be nice to know if this is a destructive or non-destructive test. Lack of candor implies it is destructive.

Tom

Why does it matter if they buy it and use it however they wish? Is there a backstory justifying the judgmental criticism of the OP's post?

Although I agree with the other poster, it's confusing what size is being looked for. Maybe use metric and avoid translation issues? 3-5m wingspans are not going to be found in the full-scale category.
Old June 24th 20, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

If the desire is for a 15M, perhaps look for one with a broken tail boom?
Old June 24th 20, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, June 24, 2020 at 2:04:44 PM UTC+1, wrote:
If the desire is for a 15M, perhaps look for one with a broken tail boom?

Ground vibration flutter mode testing is a standard and non-destructive procedure for the certification of new gliders. I bought Discus 2cT SN 001 new and before I took delivery of it I agreed that Schempp-Hirth could use it for that testing. It survived.
Old June 24th 20, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, June 23, 2020 at 11:11:50 PM UTC-6, Mike C wrote:
On Tuesday, June 23, 2020 at 11:04:49 PM UTC-6, 2G wrote:

Tom

How many people have a full scale sailplane with a 15' wingspan? Perhaps this should be on a RC model forum someplace.

I called Jim and had a long chat about what they are doing. I found a large scale composite RC vendor that might work. I also suggested he contact the League of Silent Flight for possible leads, Al Bowers, and Edwards AFB as sources of possible models that might be available for such a project and fit the size requirements.

Frank Whiteley

Old June 26th 20, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, June 24, 2020 at 5:07:56 AM UTC-7, Kenz Dale wrote:

Tom

Why does it matter if they buy it and use it however they wish? Is there a backstory justifying the judgmental criticism of the OP's post?

Although I agree with the other poster, it's confusing what size is being looked for. Maybe use metric and avoid translation issues? 3-5m wingspans are not going to be found in the full-scale category.

Exactly where in his post did he use the word "buy?"