IFR PANEL

Old January 14th 05, 04:08 PM
Flyhighdave

Default IFR PANEL

I am starting to plan out my panel and want to be able to have the capability
of doing basic IFR operations and approaches in the future. I want to make sure
I have room, in a logical location, for the equipment that will be needed.
So my question- What equipment will be needed on the panel for flying "light
weight" IFR and approaches?
Thanks!
David
Old January 16th 05, 07:39 PM

I had the same question a while ago, and I picked the brain of one the
local CFIs at my club about what he thinks is practically necessary and
what is just a perk for IFR flight. He said something along these
lines:

Airspeed
Vacuum attitude indicator
Sensitive altimeter
Electric turn coordinator
Vacuum heading indicator
Vertical speed indicator
Clock
Outside Air Temperature
Heated pitot tube
Alternate static air
Mode C Transponder
Dual NAV/COMMs
Moving map GPS with RAIM (probably with WAAS)
2 VOR indicators, 1 of which has a glide slope
Marker beacon

And only if you're feeling saucey:
DME
ADF

Also, you'll need engine and system monitoring instruments. Some of
these you can buy more than one in one box like the combo GPS/NAV/COMMs
and combo OAT/Clock. Also it might be worth looking into an electric
(no vaccum) panel with glass displays, but you should have redundant
electrical systems and back up airspeed and electric attitude indicator
outside of the primary flight display.

Old January 16th 05, 09:16 PM
Morgans

"Jim Carriere" wrote

Also, you left out the wet compass (backup in case your heading gyro
fails).

Already there, since it is required for VFR panel.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 17th 05, 08:15 PM
Gig Giacona

Yeah, and I have that all instaled when I by my Citation X. But for a
homebuilt I'd take a look at
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory...0?OpenDocument

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Instrument panel labelling options John Galban Home Built 12 November 18th 04 11:42 PM
Panel Lights - Need Help Barnyard BOb - Home Built 2 May 29th 04 07:51 PM
Panel lighting Corky Scott Home Built 5 March 6th 04 01:22 AM
Online panel design Yoram Leshinski Home Built 3 October 22nd 03 05:32 PM
CAD outline of Rans S6S instrument panel? Rob Turk Home Built 2 October 21st 03 09:27 PM