Do I need DME or ADF in an IFR-certified GPS panel?

Old June 8th 05, 02:20 AM
No Spam

Default Do I need DME or ADF in an IFR-certified GPS panel?

Looking for thoughts out there...

If I have an IFR-certified GPS (terminal, not just enroute), is there any
reason to keep a DME or ADF in the panel? (Other than being able to listen
to am radio or tracking "non-offical" navaids - e.g., am radio stations!)

TIA,

- Don
History does not long entrust the care of freedom
to the weak or the timid. - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Old June 8th 05, 02:40 AM
Peter R.

No Spam wrote:

If I have an IFR-certified GPS (terminal, not just enroute), is there any
reason to keep a DME or ADF in the panel? (Other than being able to listen
to am radio or tracking "non-offical" navaids - e.g., am radio stations!)

There is no legal reason to keep those devices.

However, if you have them, they will certainly aid in situational
awareness.

--
Peter

Old June 8th 05, 04:08 AM
No Spam

On 6/7/05 20:40, "Peter R." wrote:

No Spam wrote:

If I have an IFR-certified GPS (terminal, not just enroute), is there any
reason to keep a DME or ADF in the panel? (Other than being able to listen
to am radio or tracking "non-offical" navaids - e.g., am radio stations!)

There is no legal reason to keep those devices.

However, if you have them, they will certainly aid in situational
awareness.

Thanks, Peter,

I hadn't considering legality, but thanks for that point.

I was assuming the Garmin 430/530/480 to be the GPS unit(s), so I wouldn't
think SA could be improved by keeping the DME or ADF.

- Don
The cockpit of a plane is a world unto itself,
and to the pilot it is home.
"Wind, Sand and Stars" - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Old June 8th 05, 04:35 AM
Matt Barrow

"No Spam" wrote in message
On 6/7/05 20:40, "Peter R." wrote:

No Spam wrote:

If I have an IFR-certified GPS (terminal, not just enroute), is there

any
reason to keep a DME or ADF in the panel? (Other than being able to

listen
to am radio or tracking "non-offical" navaids - e.g., am radio

stations!)

There is no legal reason to keep those devices.

However, if you have them, they will certainly aid in situational
awareness.

Thanks, Peter,

I hadn't considering legality, but thanks for that point.

I was assuming the Garmin 430/530/480 to be the GPS unit(s), so I wouldn't
think SA could be improved by keeping the DME or ADF.

The ADF is no big deal, but definitely keep the DME. My guess is that you'll
find more GPS approaches that require DME than require ADF.

Old June 8th 05, 01:43 PM
No Spam

On 6/7/05 22:35, "Matt Barrow" wrote:

"No Spam" wrote in message
On 6/7/05 20:40, "Peter R." wrote:

No Spam wrote:

If I have an IFR-certified GPS (terminal, not just enroute), is there

any
reason to keep a DME or ADF in the panel? (Other than being able to

listen
to am radio or tracking "non-offical" navaids - e.g., am radio

stations!)

There is no legal reason to keep those devices.

However, if you have them, they will certainly aid in situational
awareness.

Thanks, Peter,

I hadn't considering legality, but thanks for that point.

I was assuming the Garmin 430/530/480 to be the GPS unit(s), so I wouldn't
think SA could be improved by keeping the DME or ADF.

The ADF is no big deal, but definitely keep the DME. My guess is that you'll
find more GPS approaches that require DME than require ADF.

Thanks, Matt,

I had no idea that any GPS approaches existed that required DME - guess that
would make them "GPS-DME" approaches. Can you name some?

- Don
We can't all be heroes. Some of us have to
stand on the curb and clap as they go by.
- Will Rogers

Old June 8th 05, 02:54 PM
Ron Natalie

No Spam wrote:
, Matt,

I had no idea that any GPS approaches existed that required DME - guess that
would make them "GPS-DME" approaches. Can you name some?

There are none, the concept is silly. If you have a GPS approach, the
DME is spurious.
Old June 8th 05, 03:17 PM
Matt Barrow

"No Spam" wrote in message
On 6/7/05 22:35, "Matt Barrow" wrote:

The ADF is no big deal, but definitely keep the DME. My guess is that

you'll
find more GPS approaches that require DME than require ADF.

Thanks, Matt,

I had no idea that any GPS approaches existed that required DME - guess

that
would make them "GPS-DME" approaches. Can you name some?

One I do fairly often is SDA GPS 12, which is a VOR/DME overlay.
Another is Laramie (WY) Rwy 30.

Old June 8th 05, 03:26 PM
Thomas Borchert

No,

I had no idea that any GPS approaches existed that required DME - guess that
would make them "GPS-DME" approaches. Can you name some?

You can replace ALL DMEs required with the GPS as long as the DME is in the
database. The distinction is important for airfields where the aerodrome
reference point (which is always in the database) is not identical with the
position of the DME used for the approach - which is often.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old June 8th 05, 02:54 PM
Ron Natalie

Matt Barrow wrote:

The ADF is no big deal, but definitely keep the DME. My guess is that you'll
find more GPS approaches that require DME than require ADF.

What GPS approaches would EVER require DME?

The only thing a DME lets you do is fly a non-GPS approach if
it required it. This is only useful if you want to fly to
places using a GPS-based approach and your only available
alternate requires DME.
Old June 8th 05, 03:20 PM
Matt Barrow

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...
Matt Barrow wrote:

The ADF is no big deal, but definitely keep the DME. My guess is that

you'll
find more GPS approaches that require DME than require ADF.

What GPS approaches would EVER require DME?

Sorry, not what I wanted to say. It's not that the GPS approach requires
DME, but that it gives more/better options than a ADF.