VIDEO: Sea King tailrotor failure during landing on a ship

Old February 21st 05, 01:23 AM
Gord Beaman

Default VIDEO: Sea King tailrotor failure during landing on a ship

"Steve R." wrote:

Yup, got that one. It's been around for a while. The darn tail just
couldn't hang in there for 30 more seconds! I'm assuming that the pilot got
the throttle rolled off? Do turbines take as long to spool down as they do
to spool up?

Fly Safe,
Steve R.

"Iwan Bogels" wrote in message
On 05 September 2002 a US Navy Sea King of the Bahrain based HC-2
detachment
"Desert Ducks" suffered a tailrotor failure during the very final stages
of
a deck landing abord a ship. The helicopter started spinning and flipped
over on its side when it hit the deck. Within seconds the Sea King slid of
the deck and plunged into the water, but fortunately according to my
information all five aboard survived without major injuries.

This video will show you just how quickly things can turn nasty when you
experience tailrotor problems.

http://www.dappa.nl/crash.htm

For the aircraft spotters reading this: UH-3H Sea King, BuNo 149684 and
coded HU-744

Anyone know if Dappa archives these weekly choices? I really
liked last week's with the light one landing on the car...
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
Old February 21st 05, 08:40 AM
Iwan Bogels

It's on its way to you via email...... :-)

Cheers,

Iwan
DAPPA

"Gord Beaman" schreef in bericht

Old February 21st 05, 09:06 AM
Yeff

I've got a 9.91MB mpeg of a CH-46 (604 is painted on the side) landing on
the fantail of a ship before tipping over into the water. It looks like
the aircraft missed its initial touchdown point before trying to lift off
again for another try. The left rear wheel gets snagged and that pulls the
whole aircraft over and into the water.

I've no info on casualties nor the ship involved.

Anyone know the exact details of the incident I just poorly described? I
don't have a place to host the video but I can email it if you're
interested

--

-Jeff B.
zoomie at fastmail dot fm
Old February 21st 05, 02:01 PM
Thomas Schoene

Yeff wrote:
I've got a 9.91MB mpeg of a CH-46 (604 is painted on the side)
landing on the fantail of a ship before tipping over into the water.
It looks like the aircraft missed its initial touchdown point before
trying to lift off again for another try. The left rear wheel gets
snagged and that pulls the whole aircraft over and into the water.

I've no info on casualties nor the ship involved.

Anyone know the exact details of the incident I just poorly
described? I don't have a place to host the video but I can email it
if you're interested

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...4b40cffad6da9a

and

http://www.forcerecon.com/ch46accident.htm

"Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when
wrong to be put right." - Senator Carl Schurz, 1872

Old February 21st 05, 04:25 PM
Gord Beaman

"Iwan Bogels" wrote:

It's on its way to you via email...... :-)

Cheers,

Iwan
DAPPA

Got it!...thanks Iwan...keep up the -good work- !!
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
Old February 21st 05, 04:26 PM
Gord Beaman

Yeff wrote:

I've got a 9.91MB mpeg of a CH-46 (604 is painted on the side) landing on
the fantail of a ship before tipping over into the water. It looks like
the aircraft missed its initial touchdown point before trying to lift off
again for another try. The left rear wheel gets snagged and that pulls the
whole aircraft over and into the water.

I've no info on casualties nor the ship involved.

Anyone know the exact details of the incident I just poorly described? I
don't have a place to host the video but I can email it if you're
interested

Yes please Yeff...(note the hint in my sig)
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
Old February 21st 05, 04:32 PM
Gord Beaman

"B4RT" wrote:

They spool down pretty quickly, but it doesnt matter much from a TR failure
perspective. If you chop the throttle the needle split is almost instant. I
think this helicopter's throttles are not located on the collective which
might make the throttle chop more complex.

Bart

Christ, are they ever lucky!...looked bad from here...did they
end up on some proturbance below flight-deck level? I don't know
ships very well...
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)