C 172XP Towplane

Old March 14th 04, 04:14 AM
Thomas F. Dixon

Default C 172XP Towplane

Has anyone had experience using a Cessna 172 XP with either the 190 or
210 HP engine as a Tow Plane?
How about the Cessna 150/150?
Tom
Idaho
Old March 14th 04, 01:14 PM
Robertmudd1u

How about the Cessna 150/150?

The Central Ohio Soaring CLlb has two 150/150s. We normally fly off grass. They
do well with our fleet untill the Grob 103 at max gross weight on a summer day
is ready for towing. Then we switch to the hard surface runway. Dito with
gliders carrying water ballast. Field elevation is 990ft.msl.

Parts are easy to find, maintaince is a no brainer and avilabe at almost any
airport. No tail wheel expirencs is needed, that requirement would in fact
would eliminate more than half of our tow pilots. Not just because of an
endorsment but because of the number of hours the insurance company requires.

The 150/150 is of course as easy to fly as anything can be. The worse feature
is the high wing and the lack of visability in turns. You need to raise the
wing, look and then turn in that direction.

The club evaluated the 150/180 but most thought it did not climb all that much
better than the 150/150. I never flew it so I can't say. Most of the time I tow
I am wishing for a bit more climb rate.

Robert Mudd

Old March 14th 04, 05:38 PM
BTIZ

a 150/150 may not have the power needed on high density altitude days in
Idaho.. especially with a heavy 2seater

keep an eye on the engine temps in which ever you choose..

given the choice.. I would use an older model 172XP with the 210HP
or a Pawnee 260

BT

om...

Old March 14th 04, 08:02 PM
Ian McPhee

We once used a 172XP think 195hp and it was as good as C182 except
less fuel. Re the C150 in Australia there are several C150 with 180hp
and they climb out better than PA25-235 but have to level out at top
of tow a little more than pawnee and thus overall tow time ground to
ground would be similar pawnee. The longest operator in Australia
would be Kingaroy Soaring Club and contact Neil Dunn for more info
(find on google). I do know prior to C150-180 Barry Deeth did a
C150-150 but think it got damaged in storm before it did towing. Think
the 180 hp would be the way to go. Ian McPhee Box 657 Byron Bay 2481
Australia +61 2 66847642

Decathlon for towplane?? Deputy Dog Soaring 3 February 24th 04 01:09 AM
Cessna Towplane Roger Fowler Soaring 1 January 23rd 04 02:30 AM
C-150 Towplane gear legs. Burt Compton Soaring 0 December 29th 03 04:42 PM
Auto-rotating helicopter hits towplane during take-off Dave Nadler \YO\ Soaring 8 August 20th 03 04:14 AM
Super Cub towplane performance Marc Arsenault Soaring 1 July 11th 03 01:42 PM