Parachute repack date revisited

Old March 14th 04, 09:06 PM
Bill Daniels

Default Parachute repack date revisited

This thought popped into my mind today.

Lets say an occasion arises requiring the use of your out-of-date parachute.
You leap clear of your damaged glider and pull the ripcord and, as we all
expect, the 'chute works perfectly.

Through dumb luck and many yanks on the risers, you manage to land on the
airport ramp unhurt. As you stand there with a huge grin on your face for
having cheated death in a very spectacular way, a gentleman walks up to you
and pumps your hand congratulating you on your successful jump and welcoming
you to the "Caterpillar Club".

He then whips out his FAA ID and asks to see your pilots license and your
parachute repack log....

Bill Daniels

Old March 15th 04, 12:47 AM
Shawn Curry

Bill Daniels wrote:

This thought popped into my mind today.

Lets say an occasion arises requiring the use of your out-of-date parachute.
You leap clear of your damaged glider and pull the ripcord and, as we all
expect, the 'chute works perfectly.

Through dumb luck and many yanks on the risers, you manage to land on the
airport ramp unhurt. As you stand there with a huge grin on your face for
having cheated death in a very spectacular way, a gentleman walks up to you
and pumps your hand congratulating you on your successful jump and welcoming
you to the "Caterpillar Club".

He then whips out his FAA ID and asks to see your pilots license and your
parachute repack log....

Bill Daniels

I figure I could take on any ol' bureaucrat at that point.
I'd direct him to the wreck for my license (always keep that sort of
thing in my CamelBak). IF my chute were out of date, I'd quickly stash
the log in my pocket while he's dissecting the glider, and inform him
that the wind must have whipped it away in the fall, but I'd be happy to
help him look for it ;-)
I bet he'd be more interested in the glider papers. It broke. The
'chute worked just fine.

Cheers,
Shawn
Old March 15th 04, 02:55 AM
Gregg Ballou

"Bill Daniels" wrote in message ...
This thought popped into my mind today.

Lets say an occasion arises requiring the use of your out-of-date parachute.
You leap clear of your damaged glider and pull the ripcord and, as we all
expect, the 'chute works perfectly.

Through dumb luck and many yanks on the risers, you manage to land on the
airport ramp unhurt. As you stand there with a huge grin on your face for
having cheated death in a very spectacular way, a gentleman walks up to you
and pumps your hand congratulating you on your successful jump and welcoming
you to the "Caterpillar Club".

He then whips out his FAA ID and asks to see your pilots license and your
parachute repack log....

Bill Daniels

If you're alive why worry, all the feds can do to you is suspend,
amend, or revoke your certificate, it is a good bit better than being
dead and legal.
Old March 15th 04, 04:05 AM
Bill Daniels

"Gregg Ballou" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I'm suggesting that if the repack date was current you would be alive AND
legal.

Bill Daniels

Old March 15th 04, 04:44 AM
Kirk Stant

"Bill Daniels" wrote in message ...
This thought popped into my mind today.

Lets say an occasion arises requiring the use of your out-of-date parachute.
You leap clear of your damaged glider and pull the ripcord and, as we all
expect, the 'chute works perfectly.

Through dumb luck and many yanks on the risers, you manage to land on the
airport ramp unhurt. As you stand there with a huge grin on your face for
having cheated death in a very spectacular way, a gentleman walks up to you
and pumps your hand congratulating you on your successful jump and welcoming
you to the "Caterpillar Club".

He then whips out his FAA ID and asks to see your pilots license and your
parachute repack log....

Bill Daniels

Could be worse; what if the FAA dude checked your chute BEFORE you
took off, and you replaced it with an FAA-approved, legal seat
cushion. Then inflight the same "occasion" arose...

Of course, you would be dead right!

Kirk
Old March 15th 04, 05:31 AM
BTIZ

Lets change the scenario... your chute is past inspection date.. since you
last had it inspected an AD came out on the rip cord., Replace at next
inspection.

You may or may not have received notification of the AD.

You used the chute and when you pulled the rip cord, you were left holding
the handle as it separated from the cord, the cause for the AD.

You SPLAT against the concrete and bounce... while frantically trying to
grab that thin metal cord in your bare hands and grip it strong enough to
pull it.

You had no insurance, so lets not worry about that. Your surviving family
tries to sue the parachute maker, and the lawsuit has been shot full of
holes by you knowingly using the beyond inspection date chute as a seat back
cushion, and then in mid air tried to change it back into a viable
parachute.

Oh well..

BT

Old March 15th 04, 08:55 AM
Mark James Boyd

Let's say you jumped out of an aircraft, and realized your
chute repack was out of date, so the aircraft dove down
next to you and you got back in it...

I was at Compton airport in calif. at Aero aviation, getting
my handheld battery recharged by a nice fella, and eating some
crackers, and he told me someone once used one of the
airplanes outside to let out a jumper, chase him
down, and then have him get back in...

Nutty, huh? Who would do this with the
possibility of hitting that whirling razor blade out front?

Now jumping out and back into a glider, THAT seems
perfectly safe (NOT!)... Anybody wanna try that with an open
canopy Blanik?
--

Mark Boyd
Old March 16th 04, 02:12 AM
BTIZ

I think I saw that action filmed for one of those "made for TV" stunt
shows.. they has a Cessna type aircraft with webbing between the strut and
the wing for him to fall into

BT