Decathlon for towplane??

Old February 21st 04, 06:45 PM
Deputy Dog

Default Decathlon for towplane??

Anyone out there have any experience with using a Decathlon for a tug?

I have towed with Citabria 7GCBC and wonder how it would compare since
it has symetrical (sp?) airfoil vs. the flat bottom of the Citabria.

Got a buddy considering both.

-Deputy Dog
Old February 22nd 04, 05:16 PM
SNOOP

Having also towed with the 150 hp Citabria, and having flown the 180
hp Decatholon, I would think the Decathalon would make a good towplane
for a small club. The only pitfalls I could see might be the extra
maintenance of the constant speed prop. It would be best as a one
pilot towplane. A large organization would tear it up.

Otherwise the it's a simple, well constructed airframe, easy to fly,
and when you can't soar you could go out and fly around upside down.

Have fun!

Old February 23rd 04, 08:59 AM
Chris Rollings

We towed with a 150 hp Citabria quite a lot back in
the 70's - acceptable, but didn't perform as well as
a 150 hp Super Cub.

I would expect a 180 hp Decathlon to be similarly worse
than a 180 hp Super Cub. The constant speed prop would
help a bit, but might make noise a serious issue if
you are operation in an area where that matters.

Old February 24th 04, 02:09 AM
MikeYankee

Decathlons have less span than Citabrias and a symmetrical airfoil. They would
probably tow OK but not will not climb as well as either a Citabria, PA-18,
Husky, etc. with the same power.

Mike Yankee

(Address is munged to thwart spammers.
To reply, delete everything after "com".)