Naval Aviator Slots- HELP!!

Old April 21st 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Harriet and John

Default Naval Aviator Slots- HELP!!

Guess I shoulda stayed out of it, huh?

"J.D. Baldwin" wrote in message

In the previous article, Harriet and John
wrote:
(I'm given to understand that nowadays another factor in the
pipeline "input and throughput" - Training Command jargon - is the
impact of Lasix surgery eyesight correction which substantially
increases the pool of 20-20 candidates.)

Lasix is a medication for people with high blood pressure and other
cardiovascular problems. LASIK is an acronym for a popular eye
surgery to correct vision. LASIK will disqualify you absolutely and
irrevocably from any kind of military aviation.

The Navy, at the moment, is performing PRK, a completely different and
much older kind of eye surgery on some candidates who are then
eligible for SNA status if correction to 20/20 is successful.
--
_+_ From the catapult of |If anyone disagrees with any statement I make,
_|70|___=}- J.D. Baldwin |am quite prepared not only to retract it, but

Old April 22nd 07, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Flashnews

Hillary - there are always many reasons and one of the 1st ones you get
with these kinds of lists is that your future hubby simply missed the
quota, that is the list filled before he got into the final cut. Sounds
to me he has some immediate options "after" he gets his Reserve
Commission - and remember the Navy is cutting the Reserve forces
drastically to the point there will be no aviation reserves down the
road so the mix-mash of who's and what's may just put him in the wrong
place.

Before he graduates he may want to see if the USAF will take him in a
interservice transfer, but the USAF is cutting 44,000 yet again being at
the bottom of the pile may help here. And then he can pull a George
Bush, that is look to the National Guard for an appointment but the
Guard is not the "skaters" dream job anymore, it is the tip of the
spear - hence he may have a good chance to fill a billet within a year
or so and then after graduation he can pursue (at great expense but
great value) his commercial license while he serves in the Reserves of
the Navy and holds a day job. The aero crap and whatever mean nothing
if he can pass the flight perception and spatial orientation tests and
has the attitude of a killer - so he will then keep pressing. The
academics will start to count if he gets to Test Pilot school, but he
has to get his feet pointed first.

Pursue commercial and military flying at the same time, make them
overlap and twist together until something fits. if not buy XBot or
Playstation. Keep your eyes and hands safe - stay in shape and don't
let up.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Any advice given on this subject is much appreciated!!

Just an hour and a half ago we received the news that my fiance
was not on the unofficial list of names of those students who had
received the Pilot and NFO slots. He attends the United States
Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point, New York which is one of the
federal service academies. He has worked his butt of to get great
scores on all the tests for the navy aviator slots. Unfortunately we
receievd the bad news today. He's trying to get over his
disappointment but this is really getting to him because this has been
his dream since he was a little boy at one of the Aircraft shows. Upon
graduating this school in June he will be a commissioned officer in
the Naval Reserve however I know he will still long to be a naval
pilot. He has a great gpa, was the Company Fitness Officer so he
passed all the physical test with no problem, went on pilot
internships, and scored 7/9 on the avaiation test, which i hear is
suppose to be really well. Is there any hope of getting in from this
point on?

Old April 23rd 07, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Thomas A. Hoffer

I remember those old NAO wings. In some ways I like them better than the current NFO wings (but they're cool too!)

An interesting note: While BNAO School was the forerunner to VT 10 not all early NAO's went through it. In the late 1950's a number of enlisted aviation types were detailed into NAO duties until enough junior officers could be procured for fleet duty. A few were promoted to chief warrant officer and continued into the commissioned ranks. This was a "band-aid" fix until enough JO's could finish the training pipeline.

Still...there were a few others who became designated NAO in a somewhat irregular fashion. My father being one of them.

Dad entered the Navy in 1958 through OCS at Newport. Given his college degree the Navy figured he would be commissioned in the Supply Corps and serve on destroyers. An afternnoon out at sea convinced my father that these navy higher-ups had made a grave error in judgement. He managed to get orders to air intelligence school and spent time at NAS Anacostia and Jacksonville. There he was introduced to Naval Aviators (in those days that meant pilots...and nobody else!) and got orders to pre-flight and VT 14 in Pensacola area (always got the various fields mixed up). He did well in academics but experienced deafness during ascent and descent.

Dad appeared before a board and was basically told he was physically unqualified to continue, but he could have his choice of community type as an intel officer and even offered him duty with the then ENTERPRISE Pre-Comm unit. He looked directly at them and said, "I want to FLY NAVY!" The board members looked at him wondering if his hearing issues extended beyond the cockpit. However, one officer said...that still might be possible if he was willing to accept orders to Argentia, Newfoundland, Canada flying Barrier Patrols in the North Atlantic in an Airborne Early Warning Squadron.

At this time folks were going through the NAO training course in Corpus Christi, but as one board member stated..."you've been to enough navy schools, it's time you joined the fleet."

Being a serving naval reserve ensign Dad didn't really know what AEW Barrier Patrol meant or really understand where Argentia was (nor did he particularly care) he found himself flying WV 2's with VW 11. And it's just as well he went along with the plan because it was in Argentia where he met Mom!

Less than a year into his Argentia tour and after many LONG patrol flights navigating (without the privilege of wearing wings!), a detailer from BUPERS came and gathered all the young reserve ensigns and explained what bleak prospects they had....except...the navy was actively trying to "grow" NAO's and they might want to consider this option.

It sounded like a great idea to Dad and about six months later he had orders in hand for FAETULANT in Norfolk, with follow on orders to VP 30 in Jacksonville. He actually earned his designation as a NAO (B/N) in Norfolk and received authorization to finally wear the wings after arriving in Jacksonville. It wasn't until he arrived at his first operational VP squadron that the term "TACCO" distinguished NAO's in the maritime patrol community from other NAO's.

He recalls the change in designation from NAO to NFO sometime in 1965 while he was a member of ship's company onboard LEXINGTON. As a youngster I remember him wearing the NAO wings while stationed at NAS New York (Dad recalls the new wings coming available in 1968 with a year for folks to make the transition). Regardless, by the time we arrived at NAS Brunswick in 1970, he wore the NFO wings.

Personally I liked the old NAO wings. Dad wore several different versions depending on what uniform was worn. I suspect two of the versions were "unofficial." For many years he had on the wall a simple small shadow box with the three different versions of NAO wings that he wore with the words, "The End of An Era" typed in between.