Allison B-17

Old February 1st 04, 08:08 PM
Tex Houston

"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message
Jeesh! You gonna spend the whole day correcting me?? I think you knew
what I meant. So what kind of radials and made by whom? Same folks?

I've seen Lycoming mentioned but the first Shermans had a Continental R974
C4, a 9 cylinder radial aircraft engine. Later ones were diesel powered.

The radial engined M3A3 Stuart was produced by American Car and Foundry
during Sept 1942 till Sept 1943. Of 3427 produced, 2433 went to the Allies
receiving Lease Lend (mainly to Britain but some to China), the rest to the
US Army. Powered by a 7-cylinder Continental radial power unit, the tank
weighs 32,400 lbs ready to fight.

Tex

Old February 1st 04, 08:17 PM
John

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

Tex Houston wrote:

Many tanks were powered with radial engines. Motors are not engines.

Tex

Jeesh! You gonna spend the whole day correcting me?? I think you knew
what I meant. So what kind of radials and made by whom? Same folks?

M3 Stuart 'Honey" powered by a Continental W-670-9A; 7 cylinder, 4 cycle,
radial gasoline
or a Guiberson T-1020-4; 9 cylinder, 4 cycle, radial diesel

Old February 1st 04, 09:36 PM
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

In article ,
Mark and Kim Smith wrote:
it ain't a B-17 without a radial engine! BTW, does anyone know if were
there any land or sea applications for the radial motor or was it all air?

A few light cars had radials (generally 3-cylinder) in the 1920s.
Bristol played with the idea of a 10-cylinder, two-row radial for
their post-WW2 venture into care production, but eventually went
with a re-engineered version of the pre-war BMW in-line 6.
One Fairmile D-type motor gunboat (MGB 5001, IIRC) was fitted with
four Bristol Hercules instead of the usual Packards, but actually
went slower because of the power absorbed by the fans providing
cooling. The intention was that she should have been the prototype
for a group of Centaurus-engined boats (which with 2500bhp/engine
instead of 1600 should have shifted), but the admiralty decided
(wisely, in by view) to go with ultra-high-power diesels (the Napier
Deltic) or gas turbines (the Bristol Proteus) instead of trying
to make radials afloat work. Having the tankage of 100-octane
they'd have needed aboard a gunboat was not an appealing idea..

--
Andy Breen ~ Interplanetary Scintillation Research Group
http://users.aber.ac.uk/azb/
Old February 2nd 04, 01:42 AM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
Mike Marron writes:
(Peter Stickney) wrote:

Allison also Diesel engines for use in tractor-trailers & other such
applications. You can easily pick 'em out by ear, they've got a
distinctive high-frequency scream in their engine note.

I'm not aware of any Allison diesel engines used in semis. The Big
Three truck engine manufacturers are Caterpillar, Cummins and Detroit
Diesel. Going down the road, you can't differentiate between the three
by the sound alone and I suspect the high-freqency scream you're
referring to is simply the turbo.

Argh! Ya got me, Mike!
Yeah, the Diesels are Detroits. Of course,, you _could_ ig you were
willing to split hairs about it, call 'em Allisons after GM Merged
Detroit Diesel and Allison.
But that would be wussing out.

Still quite a few Mack Thermodynes & ASETs out there, as well.

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster
Old February 2nd 04, 01:50 AM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
Dale writes:
In article ,
Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

Never said I liked it or disliked it. Just said it looked smooth. But
it ain't a B-17 without a radial engine! BTW, does anyone know if were
there any land or sea applications for the radial motor or was it all air?

The Sherman tank used a radial engine. Sikorsy helicopters used a
radial (Wright 1820 like the B-17). Radials were used to power
generators.

Well, thre's all varieties of Radials.
The M3 Light Tanks (Stuart) used a flavor of the Wright R670 Whirlwind.
Some flavors of the M3 Medium Tank (Grant/Lee) and M4 Medium Tank
(Sherman) used a fan-cooled R975 Whirlwind, built either by Wright or
Continental.
The M6 Heavy Tank got an R1820 Cyclone, similar to teh one on a B-17.

Wuite a few early helicopters used radials as well. The Sikorsky R-4
used a Warner. The R-5/H-5 used a Pratt & Whitney R985.
I don't recall any seaborne use of radials, other than carrier
aircraft. Air-cooled marine engines don't make a whole lot of sense,
really.

Old February 2nd 04, 02:37 AM
Thomas Schoene

Peter Stickney wrote:
I don't recall any seaborne use of radials, other than carrier
aircraft. Air-cooled marine engines don't make a whole lot of sense,
really.

I'm having an early senior moment here. Was the GM "pancake" diesel a
radial? I've spent the past fifteen minutes googling but cannot find any
sort of actual description of this engine, other than its use in sub chasers
and (I believe) some submarines as well.

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Old February 2nd 04, 04:20 AM
Peter Stickney

In article . net,
"Thomas Schoene" writes:
Peter Stickney wrote:
I don't recall any seaborne use of radials, other than carrier
aircraft. Air-cooled marine engines don't make a whole lot of sense,
really.

I'm having an early senior moment here. Was the GM "pancake" diesel a
radial? I've spent the past fifteen minutes googling but cannot find any
sort of actual description of this engine, other than its use in sub chasers
and (I believe) some submarines as well.

Hmm. Good point. To tell you the truth, I'm not sure. Usually,
"Pancake" refers to a Horizontally Opposed engine, like, say, an
air-cooled VW, or a Continental or Lycoming light aircraft engine.
But the Navy's got to be different - can't call anything by its real
name. (I mean really - decks where the floors should be, Covers
instead of hats, Bulkheads where rational people would put walls. I
don't eaven want to think about the Seaman's Head! (Yes, it's all a
joke, please don't keelhaul me!))
The U.S.S. Albacore is drawm up on shore as a Museum, and the Engine
Rooms (And why aren't they Engine Compartments? Every other danged
room on that boat's a Compartmnet! Mamble, mumble) She had the
Pancake Diesels, so I'll pull an on-site inspection the next time I'm
downta Portsmouth.

Actually, the best meal I've ever had was at the Portsmouth Naval
Shipyard's Officer's Open Mess. I was attending a Society of Military
Engineers meeting about solving some problems in convincing the
Albacore to be properly set into its cradle for display. I also stood
on the conning tower of the Squalus/Sailfish, looking out onto the
cold, gray, North Atlantic. Submarining looks like dangerous,
stressful work, with the Ocean outside always trying to get in.

Old February 2nd 04, 04:28 AM
Marc Reeve

Thomas Schoene wrote:

Peter Stickney wrote:
I don't recall any seaborne use of radials, other than carrier
aircraft. Air-cooled marine engines don't make a whole lot of sense,
really.

I'm having an early senior moment here. Was the GM "pancake" diesel a
radial? I've spent the past fifteen minutes googling but cannot find any
sort of actual description of this engine, other than its use in sub
chasers and (I believe) some submarines as well.

Yes, it was.

Here's a page with a decent description:

http://www.geocities.com/rrowe50/t-class.html

-Marc
--
Marc Reeve
actual email address after removal of 4s & spaces is
Old February 2nd 04, 05:29 AM
John Keeney

"Mike Marron" wrote in message
(Peter Stickney) wrote:

Allison also Diesel engines for use in tractor-trailers & other such
applications. You can easily pick 'em out by ear, they've got a
distinctive high-frequency scream in their engine note.

I'm not aware of any Allison diesel engines used in semis. The Big
Three truck engine manufacturers are Caterpillar, Cummins and Detroit
Diesel. Going down the road, you can't differentiate between the three
by the sound alone and I suspect the high-freqency scream you're
referring to is simply the turbo.

They are in a lot of school buses, some semi-tractors & heavy equipment
but they're not as popular in semis as some of the others.
I've even seen turboed Allison V-8 diesels on pulling tractors; like
a bomb going off when they snapped the throttle open and shut.

Old February 2nd 04, 05:38 AM
John Keeney

"Peter Stickney" wrote in message
In article ,
Mike Marron writes:
(Peter Stickney) wrote:

Allison also Diesel engines for use in tractor-trailers & other such
applications. You can easily pick 'em out by ear, they've got a
distinctive high-frequency scream in their engine note.

I'm not aware of any Allison diesel engines used in semis. The Big
Three truck engine manufacturers are Caterpillar, Cummins and Detroit
Diesel. Going down the road, you can't differentiate between the three
by the sound alone and I suspect the high-freqency scream you're
referring to is simply the turbo.

Argh! Ya got me, Mike!
Yeah, the Diesels are Detroits. Of course,, you _could_ ig you were
willing to split hairs about it, call 'em Allisons after GM Merged
Detroit Diesel and Allison.
But that would be wussing out.

OK, I was having regrets having posted they were out there, I was beginning
to wonder if I was thinking of Detroits.
But the neighbors' kid's hippie school bus has "Allison" written on it.
I didn't realize that GM had merged Detroit Diesel and Allison.