twin comanche

Old February 19th 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
E Andersen

Default twin comanche

Hi guys

I'm still searching for a twin comanche, there is quite a lot available
here in Florida for around 70-80k, it looks
to me that most do not have an autopilot, would this be a concern of yours?
What about installing an autopilot, is
that way to expensive, or should I go up in price a bit?

Anyone looked at any of those Twinco's here in Florida?

Erik

Old February 19th 07, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dan Luke

How about it, Michael: yours still for sale?

Old February 20th 07, 05:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Feb 19, 11:17 am, "E Andersen" wrote:
Hi guys

I'm still searching for a twin comanche, there is quite a lot available
here in Florida for around 70-80k, it looks
to me that most do not have an autopilot, would this be a concern of yours?
What about installing an autopilot, is
that way to expensive, or should I go up in price a bit?

Personally, I would be very careful about buying a plane and
installing an autopilot right away. Buy the plane with the equipment
you want if you can because it costs about twice as much to install it
yourself. Also, once you buy the plane, I would avoid any "extras" in
the first year because really, really expensive stuff tends to come up
that will prevent you from flying. After the first year, if the wings
haven't fallen off and you still have any money in your checking
account, consider the upgrades.

-Robert, CFII

Old February 20th 07, 01:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
CriticalMass

E Andersen wrote:

What about installing an autopilot, is
that way to expensive, or should I go up in price a bit?

"Way to expensive" to me, is just round-off to Bill Gates. What is it
to you?
Old February 20th 07, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

In article ,
"E Andersen" wrote:

Hi guys

I'm still searching for a twin comanche, there is quite a lot available
here in Florida for around 70-80k, it looks
to me that most do not have an autopilot, would this be a concern of yours?
What about installing an autopilot, is
that way to expensive, or should I go up in price a bit?

What kind of autopilot do you want? 1-axis or 2-axis?

btw - I would expect the two engines on the twin to dominate your
expenses, much more so than the cost of an autopilot.

note that I installed an STEC 20 autopilot in a cherokee 140
(as part of a significant panel upgrade - cost, including labor,
was about the retail cost of the STEC 20).

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old February 20th 07, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
E Andersen

note that I installed an STEC 20 autopilot in a cherokee 140
(as part of a significant panel upgrade - cost, including labor,
was about the retail cost of the STEC 20).

2 axis would be my preference, so it ended up costing?

Old February 20th 07, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
E Andersen

Like this one

http://www.aircraftdealer.com/aircra...-428/10656.htm

Old February 20th 07, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ronnie

An autopilot is either "nice to have" or "very nice to have"
depending on the flying you do. I operate a 1964
Aztec which has the orginal Altimatic II autopilot
system still installed and maked as "INOP" when
I bought the airplane. I flew it 400 hours without
even trying it. I fainlly decided to see it I could make
it work, and did. It is definately much nicer to fly with
the autopilot working, but I flew it for 400 hours without,
so it can be done.

Concerning cost, I'd guess the minimum would be around
$5K for a simple single axis wing leveler system. A quote
for a new S-Tec fully-featured system for my Aztec came in
at $25K as of Nov 2006.

In general, it cost less to buy an airplane with the equippment
that you want already installed as compared to having to pay
for the installation.

Ronnie

Old February 21st 07, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dico

We bought our TC last summer. We made sure that we found a TC with
the options we wanted... 2 axis A/P, Garmin 430, HSI, Leather, and a
couple other things. You'd be way better to pay 20k extra for the
options you want cause it seems as though once installed, they are
only worth about 30% of what they cost new.

-dr

Old February 23rd 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Michael[_1_]

On Feb 19, 1:17 pm, "E Andersen" wrote:
I'm still searching for a twin comanche, there is quite a lot available
here in Florida for around 70-80k

Be careful - the salt air does ugly things to the stabilator spar.
There was a guy in Florida working on an AD with the FAA on this - it
never happened, turned out the internal corrosion was strictly a
Florida problem.

it looks
to me that most do not have an autopilot, would this be a concern of yours?

I lew my Twin Comanche for over a year, single pilot, hard IFR without
one. But after that I put one in. I made it happen for under $2500,
but it's single axis, older, I bought it as parts and did all the work
myself. Going to a shop, you won't make it happen for less than five
figures.

$70-$80K seems high for a Twinkie without A/P. I'd sell you mine for
$65K...

Michael

Twin Comanche vs. Mooney/other singles E Andersen Owning 18 December 17th 06 07:32 PM
aftermarket de-ice for Twin Comanche Dico Owning 1 February 5th 06 05:51 PM
Twin Comanche comparisons Dico Owning 6 January 30th 06 06:00 PM
FS: 1965 Piper PA-30 Twin Comanche [email protected] Aviation Marketplace 0 July 12th 05 12:08 AM
AOPA Twin Comanche Rosspilot Piloting 79 December 8th 04 07:23 PM