This day in 1944: Bastogne resupplied

Old December 24th 03, 05:38 PM
Ed Majden

Merry Christmas Art and many more of them. I told you many of us were
interested in your postings. I wish other veterans would relate their
experiances in the same way. It would be nice to see posts from
Commonwealth veterans along with Poles and others that flew with the
RAF/RCAF out of the UK. When I enlisted in the RCAF in 1958 many of our
NCO's and officers were WWII vets. A number were aircrew officers during
the war but re-enlisted after the war as non-coms. I worked for a very
colourful Flight Sergeant that wore a second bar to a DFC. The young
officer jet jocks of the day treated him with the greatest respect at
mission debriefing sessions. Another friend of mine was a Corporal. During
the war he flew Lancasters having been shot down on one of his missions. He
spent several months as a POW. Another one of my Flight Sergeants was also
a POW. He had a very bad time of it during this period and developed a
speech impediment. You knew when he was angry as his speech problem
mysteriously disappeared when he was upset. A great guy!.
Ed

Old December 24th 03, 08:33 PM
ArtKramr

Subject: This day in 1944: Bastogne resupplied
From: "Ed Majden"
Date: 12/24/03 9:38 AM Pacific Standard Time

[...]

I agree with you. I also wish that more guys would talk about their
experiences.It would make things around here a lot more interesting IMHO.
(sigh).

Regards,

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old December 25th 03, 02:56 AM
Old Sarge

To Art Kramer: I have not said any thing so far, but I can vouch for the
fact that what you have been submitting has been of great interest to
me, also. Please keep up the effort.
Sfc.Ret. Vietnam Vet,
9th. Inf. Div.

Old December 31st 03, 01:47 AM
Mu

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:41:29 +0000, Alan Dicey
wrote:

ArtKramr wrote:

Thanks for the kind words Ed. Actually all posts up to this point got little or
no responses and I have the feeling that there is very little interest in this
subject on this NG. I had planned on stopping with this last post. But with
your encouraging post, I think I might continue a while longer . Thanks again.
I appreciate your coming forward.

Art,
Though I haven't come forward before, I would still add my voice to
those above and ask you to keep posting your memoires. It is always
important to be able to balance "official histories" against the
memories of those individuals who were there and did that. Most
especially, the small things - how you felt going up against the foe,
and how it felt to see friends go down - helps us all to put a feeling
against the text-book phrases such as "casualties were heavy". We don't
truly understand what that means.

Hello Art
I especially appreciate the personal view in your stories. I do read
a lot of history and there a lot of official and non official
accounts about on which day which division attacked where.
Definately interesting.

But the most interesting stories to me are the personal ones.
The stories like "December the xx. We wanted to fly to help our
friends but the damn wheather wouldn't let us . December xx Finally we
are go.".

Since it's such a long time ago more and more vets are passing away
and can't tell the first hand experiences anymore.
Please keep the stories coming and put them on your website so
generations after now kan still read them.

Greetz Martijn Uffing
P.S. My grandparents lived near the railroad Arnhem-Germany . Funny
way to communicate with someone who probably "buzzed" my grandparents
60 years ago

Old December 31st 03, 02:21 AM
ArtKramr

From: (Mu)
Date: 12/30/03 5:47 PM Pacific Standard Time
wrote:

ArtKramr wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the kind words. I was one of the bombardiers that took out the
Arnhem bridge shortly after Market Garden failed. Maybe I'll tell that story
some day. And I'll keep stories coming.

Old January 2nd 04, 09:59 PM
Brian Colwell

From: Old Sarge
Date: 12/24/03 6:56 PM Pacific Standard Time
To Art Kramer: I have not said any thing so far, but I can vouch for the
fact that what you have been submitting has been of great interest to
me, also. Please keep up the effort.
Sfc.Ret. Vietnam Vet,
9th. Inf. Div.

Thank you. Your comments are much appreciated. More to come. The war

isn't
quite over yet.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Art,
There can't have been too many guys that took a camera with them on bombing
missions, You are the only one I have come across !! What camera were using
? was it the Leica ?

The photographic records on your w/s are remarkable.

BMC

Old January 2nd 04, 11:06 PM
ArtKramr

From: "Brian Colwell"
Date: 1/2/04 1:59 PM Pacific Standard Time

From: Old Sarge

Date: 12/24/03 6:56 PM Pacific Standard Time
To Art Kramer: I have not said any thing so far, but I can vouch for the
fact that what you have been submitting has been of great interest to
me, also. Please keep up the effort.
Sfc.Ret. Vietnam Vet,
9th. Inf. Div.

Thank you. Your comments are much appreciated. More to come. The war

isn't
quite over yet.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Art,
There can't have been too many guys that took a camera with them on bombing
missions, You are the only one I have come across !! What camera were using
? was it the Leica ?

The photographic records on your w/s are remarkable.

BMC

Yup. It was a Leica. Thanks for the kind words.

Regards,

Arthur