I watched the Blue Angels from my yard this morning 5615

Old April 6th 07, 05:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Tom Callahan

Default I watched the Blue Angels from my yard this morning 5615

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5615.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	8788
Old April 6th 07, 06:51 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
George

Hi Tom,

Boy it must suck big time to have to live so close to an active
airfield, and to have to put up with them darn jets flying so close over
head. And the sun shining on you so consistantly there in Pensacola,
that must be real tough too. Hope you can bear up under the burden vbg.

My wifes uncle, a Marine aviator now deceased, guided us through the
Naval Aviation Museum there at Sherman Field last time we were down
there, he pointed out "his" airplane hanging in the museum, not his type
but the exact plane that he flew in Korea (I believe it was a F6F
Panther?) and told me exactly where each bullet hole had been repaired.
He started as an enlisted man, he rose through the ranks and became an
officer later, his experience went back to props, fabric, and flying
wires. A real treat.

Don't let the rough life get to you.

George

Old April 6th 07, 08:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Tom Callahan

Yes, it's great being here next to the naval air station. As you know, it's
a training base. We see lots of trainers. What I'd like is to have a real
squadron move in so we could see more advanced aircraft other than those who
stop off for gas between the training areas off of Key West and Home Base
(wherever that is). The visiting aircrews don't usually ask for permission
to do a flyby 'cause they are in a hurry to get to the parking lot and into
the restroom. We had a ball when the USS Kennedy was here doing a pre
deployment workup. There were aircraft day and night (to inlude four
Kfirs). Then, following Hurricane Ivan, and later on Hurricane Katrina, the
base went active 24/7 with lots of visitors. More would be better. For
those who wonder how we watch tv.....we record our favorite shows on a hard
drive and then as we watch them we can just pause when there is an aircraft
in the circuit. There are not too many night flights and even less weekend
flights so it's not a big problem.

Going to the museum is fun. We get to meet veterans and all sorts of neat
people. Blue Angel practices bring lots of visitors. I think there were
3800 here last Tuesday. I didn't hear the count for Wednesday.

My wife can now tell what's coming in for a landing.....T-6, T-39, H-3,
Herky (or COD, Hawkeye, P-3), T-1, T-34, etc. She can even tell when it's
an old T-6 Texan from World War II cutting across the neighborhood taking
someone out to the Gulf of Mexico to do a little trip down memory lane
(aircraft is based at the civilian field in Pensacola). I think she can
even identify the Travelair from Gulf Shores when it comes by with some
sightseers.

Hard work but someone has to do it, Tom

t...

Old April 7th 07, 10:51 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob Harrington

"Tom Callahan" wrote in
:

[...]

We'll say a prayer for you...

;^}
Old April 9th 07, 08:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Garrapata

On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 14:26:23 -0500, "Tom Callahan"
wrote:

[...]

Later this year we are moving to a house that is just north of the
landing/takeoff path of the Monterey airport. Even though the NAS has
closed the Angels stay here every other year when they appear at the
Salinas airshow. I won't be as close as you but I am looking forward to
learning to ID more planes and maybe some pictures.
--

09=ix