Microsoft strikes again

Old November 30th 10, 04:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Claus Gustafsen

Default Microsoft strikes again

I'm running Windows 7 with WLM as well and have same problem - I used
Outlook Express for some years and with Vista it disappeared so I took the
offered alternative, runs fine i WIN 7 as well, except this crap with
newsgroups now. Reason I used it was simpliciti of use, one program for both
new and mail, but now it seems I have to find another way....

Claus Gustafsen

"Trajan" skrev i meddelelsen
news
Hi Indrek,
Was this a recent update?
I'm using WLM and not seeing (literally) what you're describing.
I've been using it for a couple years, no changes yet.
Have you posted the question at the MS newsgroup for WLM?
Take care,
Bill Wolcott

"Indrek Aaviso" wrote in message
I have used Windows Live Mail for a while and it handled binary newsgroups
reasonably well. i.e. click on a message and the message and any contained
picture would pop up.

Now the geniuses at Microsoft have come up with an "improved" version of
WLM. This requires me to double click on a message to bring up a thumbnail
image and I then have to double click on the thumbnail to bring up Windows
Photo Viewer so that I can actually see the image properly. After that,
unless I want myriad sessions of WPV running, I have to close the viewer
and close the thumbnail pane to begin the whole rigmarole once more for
the next image. Mumble, chunter, grumble......

There does not seem to be an easy way to revert to the previous version of
WLM

Am I being ultra-dense, or is there an alternative?

Cheers,

Indrek Aavisto

Criticism is easy; achievement is difficult W.S. Churchill

Old November 30th 10, 04:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Jens Averbeck

Hi Indrek,

i prefer Mozilla Thunderbird for reading Newsgroup and Pan (
http://pan.rebelbase.com/download/ ) for mass-download of Images etc.
Pan also has a very very good Killfile (for ignoring Messages of certain
individuals), handles Multi-Part Postings, Yenc etc. And its free.

Regards
Jens

Old November 30th 10, 07:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Garrapata

I have used Windows Live Mail for a while and it handled binary newsgroups
reasonably well. i.e. click on a message and the message and any contained
picture would pop up.

Are you sure there isn't an option or setting you've overlooked? It
seems strange that such a basic function would change

Now the geniuses at Microsoft have come up with an "improved" version of
WLM. This requires me to double click on a message to bring up a thumbnail
image and I then have to double click on the thumbnail to bring up Windows
Photo Viewer so that I can actually see the image properly. After that,
unless I want myriad sessions of WPV running, I have to close the viewer and
close the thumbnail pane to begin the whole rigmarole once more for the
next image. Mumble, chunter, grumble......

Can you associate another viewer? Irfanview lets you open pictures in a
single window - or multiple windows if you prefer, and you can close it
with the esc key
--

09=IX
Old November 30th 10, 07:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Garrapata

Default Microsoft strikes again --- Something to consider...

(How many ATT users in here still get newsgroups through ATT?)

........or Comcast
--

09=IX
Old November 30th 10, 09:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Indrek Aaviso

Default Microsoft strikes again update

Thanks to everyone who responded.

I tried Newsleecher. However, after fiddling with it for a while I found it
to be too clunky. Doubtless if I had been willing to spend more time on it I
would have become used to it, but patience is not one of my virtues.

In the end I found out how to revert to the 2009 version of Windows live
Mail, and everything now works the way that I like.

Cheers,

Indrek Aavisto

--
Criticism is easy; achievement is difficult W.S. Churchill

Old November 30th 10, 10:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
D. St-Sanvain

Default Statistics - Microsoft strikes again

Some statistics about the group.
Number of messages, by name of the news reader.

--
D520
Light aviation : http://tagazous.free.fr

Old November 30th 10, 11:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Sunny

"Indrek Aaviso" wrote in message
Thanks to everyone who responded.

I tried Newsleecher. However, after fiddling with it for a while I found
it to be too clunky. Doubtless if I had been willing to spend more time
on it I would have become used to it, but patience is not one of my
virtues.

In the end I found out how to revert to the 2009 version of Windows live
Mail, and everything now works the way that I like.

Care to share "how to revert to 2009 version" ?

Old November 30th 10, 11:51 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Alan Erskine[_4_]

On 30/11/2010 11:37 PM, RustY © wrote:
"Alan wrote in message
ond.com...
The real only alternative is to use a proper binary newsreader.

(I know I'm going to regret this, even before saying it....) How do you
define "proper"?

This was posted using OE6 which is great for text messages and OK for the
odd picture download but if you want to download a series it's a real pain.
I use Xnews, its free and does the job but there are plenty of free
newsreaders out there. Do try one you'll be glad you took the time to learn
how to use it.

I use Thunderbird (from Firefox) - it's great compared to OE; hasn't
crashed yet, whereas OE crashed almost daily. Other than that,
Thunderbird reads groups just as well as OE.
Old December 1st 10, 12:38 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Indrek Aaviso

"Sunny" wrote in message ond.com...

I copied this from the Microsoft WLM newsgroup:

Windows Live Essentials 2009
- For XP SP2, Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008
- Direct download Links:
Full Version Installer English Language version
http://g.live.com/1rewlive3/en/wlsetup-all.exe
Web Version Installer – English Language Version
http://g.live.com/1rewlive3/en/wlsetup-web.exe

- Microsoft Web Site links(web installer version)
http://explore.live.com/windows-live-essentials-xp

System Requirements:
http://explore.live.com/windows-live...m-requirements

Note: Direct download links above are for the English language
installer. For a different country replace the 'en' with the local
language code.

--
...winston
msft mvp mail

Cheers,

Indrek Aavisto
--
Criticism is easy; achievement is difficult W.S. Churchill

2 strikes Glenn[_2_] Aviation Photos 2 February 10th 10 09:07 AM
Prop Strikes [email protected] Piloting 73 February 21st 05 06:53 PM
CBS "News" strikes AGAIN David H Owning 124 January 29th 04 03:37 AM
CBS "News" strikes AGAIN David H Piloting 139 January 29th 04 03:37 AM
the moron strikes again tony zambon Piloting 11 August 3rd 03 03:47 AM