Junkers Ju86R-1 high altitude recce aircraft

Old January 24th 04, 11:10 AM
Dave Eadsforth

Default Junkers Ju86R-1 high altitude recce aircraft

Good day, good people,

I wondered if anyone might be able to help with a couple of questions on
the Junkers Ju86R-1 high altitude reconnaissance aircraft that was in
service between 1943 and 1944?

I have a reference that states that these were operated by a Luftwaffe
unit called the 1./Versuchsverband Ob.d.L. Can anyone tell me in which
theatre this unit operated, and if at all possible, which base(s)?

Is there any (accessible) record of the operations they carried out?

Also, the Ju86P that preceded the Ju86R-1 was given a single rear-firing
machine gun after the first ones were shot down by specially prepped
Spitfire Vs. (It didn't help!) Was the Ju86R-1 given any defensive
armament?

There was also the Ju86R-2, which was a bomber version; did that have
any defensive armament?

Thanks very much!

Cheers,

Dave

--
Dave Eadsforth
Old January 24th 04, 04:07 PM
robert arndt

Dave Eadsforth wrote in message ...
Good day, good people,

I wondered if anyone might be able to help with a couple of questions on
the Junkers Ju86R-1 high altitude reconnaissance aircraft that was in
service between 1943 and 1944?

I have a reference that states that these were operated by a Luftwaffe
unit called the 1./Versuchsverband Ob.d.L. Can anyone tell me in which
theatre this unit operated, and if at all possible, which base(s)?

Forty Ju-86Ps were delivered to Versuchsverband Ob.d.l.,
2.(F)/Aufkl.Gr.33, and Kommando Rowehl in 1940. Most were P-2 recon
a/c but there were also P-1 bomber aircraft. The P-2 was unarmed at
first but the P-2 could carry four SC250 bombs. It was used in the
same recon role but also performed bombing missions on occasion. The
aircraft operated over England as a nuisance raider before being used
to take photos of the Soviet Union prior to the invasion of June 1941.
When the Ju-86R became available in 1941 it was used again against
southern England until by September 1942 the Spitfire IX was able to
reach it. After that, the a/c operated mostly on the eastern and
southern fronts.

Is there any (accessible) record of the operations they carried out?

I haven't seen any...

Also, the Ju86P that preceded the Ju86R-1 was given a single rear-firing
machine gun after the first ones were shot down by specially prepped
Spitfire Vs. (It didn't help!) Was the Ju86R-1 given any defensive
armament?

Not that I can see from the photographic record; however, if a single
MG was mounted it most likely was in a dorsal position... the dustbin
mount having ben removed and no photos of a nose gun. I'll look around
to see if I can find a pic with armament.

There was also the Ju86R-2, which was a bomber version; did that have
any defensive armament?

Probably not, just the four SC250 bombs as in the P-version. The
bombers were only used "on occassion"...

Thanks very much!

Cheers,

Dave

Rob
Old January 24th 04, 10:36 PM
Dave Eadsforth

In article , robert
arndt writes
Dave Eadsforth wrote in message news:$P6suhAzKlEAFwML
[...]

Hi Rob,

Thanks very much for all that - very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Dave

--
Dave Eadsforth