Worlds smallest helecopter

Old May 17th 08, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

Default Worlds smallest helecopter

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
m...
Gig 601Xl Builder wrote:
wrote:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/05/15/s....ap/index.html
Karl

Anyone have a clue as to how it controls yaw?

http://www.acecraftusa.com/specs.html

But how can it be called a helicopter if it has a fixed pitch rotor?

These things outta be called something else...

Richard
--
(remove the X to email)

Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English?
John Wayne

I'm also having a little trouble calling it a helicopter; but thanks for the
link, which provided the following answer to the frequently asked question
about yaw:

Yaw is controlled through a differential gear within the transmission.
An electric motor adjusts the positioning of a differential gear, which
changes the speed of the counter rotating blades in relation to each other
causing torque on the helicopter which results in yaw in either direction as
directed by the pilot.

Peter

Old May 17th 08, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On May 16, 9:40 am, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote:

Anyone have a clue as to how it controls yaw?

As a guess, differential torque. The blades are fixed pitch so differential
collective ala Kaman is not possible.

Hasn't that been done in the past? I once asked about a tandem-rotor
fixed-pitch helicopter. At the time, it seemed reasonable that such
a device could be controlled by differential torque; forward movement
would be produced by tilting the entire craft (my thought at the time
was a sliding weight).

Note that the guy says while it is
possible to fly as high as 165 yds, his demo would be at 16.5 yds altitude.

Hmmm... All I really need is a way to get to the grocery store.
Over the power lines and through the alley to the street is all I'd
need.

If the engines fail, though it would require all 4 failing, the helo quickly
converts to a lawn dart. If it was me I would demo at 1.65yds altitude and
no faster than I could run.

Any idea why there are four engines?

I saw a demo of this ship at Sun'n Fun a number
of years ago. The pilot got a bit carried away with some low altitude
swooping and tipped the ship over to far and it hit the ground shedding
rotor parts:; some of which were later found several hundred feet down the
flight line in front of an RV. No injuries though.

is this the famous "Head-o-copter"?
http://www.flurl.com/item/Head_o_Copter_u_307813

Mike

The smallest jet aircraft in the world - BD-5J (homebuilt) [email protected] Home Built 18 March 21st 08 03:40 PM
Re Worlds 1st Jonathon May Soaring 1 February 16th 08 10:29 AM
pre worlds BB Soaring 5 July 29th 07 01:59 AM
Worlds smallest FlyBaby! cavelamb himself Home Built 0 March 27th 07 04:37 PM
Biggest and smallest aviators José Herculano Naval Aviation 23 February 7th 05 03:12 PM