Oshkosh Speaker Invitation

Old May 15th 08, 05:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Default Oshkosh Speaker Invitation

Thanks for the invite to speak ...

Jim here.

With avgas at $5 a gallon and heading north, and with EAA taking a tack
decidedly against the little guy in favor of heavy iron, and after 35
straight years of attendance at Oshkosh, and with all of the academic load
I've taken on in the last year at the national level, and with the 182
sitting in the hangar with a sick prop, I'm going to miss Oshkosh this year.

You can call it Airventure to your heart's delight. And we old geezers who
know it as "Oshkosh" will be declining in numbers in a straight line
agreement with the actuarial tables. But so long as I have a breath to draw,
the July/August convocation of experimental aircraft at Wittman Field will
be "Oshkosh". Sorry.

As you may know, Gail and I met at one of my forums at Oshkosh '95, got
engaged at my forum in Oshkosh '96, and married on Pilot Hill after my forum
in Oshkosh '97. We are as about "Oshkosh" as you can get, but the both of us
are Oshkoshed out. We'll be back, but not this year.

Actually, I've been giving forums at Oshkosh since 1975. That's a hell of a
long time to be blathering on without a break. This year is a break.

Just for your interest, not that it means a tinker's dam to EAA, I'm the
elected VP of the faculty at the college from which I teach, the elected
Treasurer of the California State College Association, the elected higher ed
(college) representative to the California Teachers' State Council, and the
elected higher ed California representative to the National Education
Association assembly in Washington DC. All of which pay a fraction of my
salary, but demand much more than that fraction in my time.

Anyway, I ain't agonna be there in July. Keep a hole open for me next year
if you would, please.

Jim & Gail

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."

Old May 15th 08, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Tom Poberezny" wrote in news:20080515130558.2E2FE4E4C0
@outpost.zedz.net:

Keep a hole open for me next year if you would, please.

I think we'll be able to find else someone to fill that vacancy.

Ugh.....

Bertie
Old May 15th 08, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Anyolmouse

"Tom Poberezny" wrote in message
| Keep a hole open for me next year if you would, please.
|
| I think we'll be able to find else someone to fill that vacancy.

Wow! Maybe having a heart attack and losing my medical wasn't such a bad
thing after all.

--
Anyolmouse

Old May 15th 08, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

"Tom Poberezny" wrote:
Keep a hole open for me next year if you would, please.

I think we'll be able to find else someone to fill that vacancy.

Using dizum.com is much much too obvious when forging an identity.
Old May 15th 08, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
m...
Thanks for the invite to speak ...
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."
--Aristotle

Jim: We certainly understand the need for a break. The cost of attending
"Oshkosh" reaching a question of "Bank for the Buck". I'm 92% attendee for
the past 13 years and am considering staying at home this year. $2,000 for
diesel for our truck/camper is a bit much. I'm sure that our magazine
doesn't even begin to break even on that kind of trip.

BTW your little Aristotle Sign Off hits the spot in the aviation world. I
see vendors and groups unwilling to entertain any idea that is "Not Invented
Here"

I've printed out the Aristotle bit of wisdom for our wall.

Thanks

Stu
I'v got a plot of the plan view of the nav lite minimums. I'm not reall
happy with it, but I'll forward to you next time I get the Microsoft Outlook
away from the magazine subscription handling department.

Old May 15th 08, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

To all concerned: THe Tom P. thing this morning was a spoof. Don't think
anything about it. I got two nice letters from friends at EAA HQ who are
"in the know" expressing regrets that Gail and I won't be back this year.
It wasn't Tom that sent it.

Jim

Old May 15th 08, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_2_]

Whew! I was beginning to think that T.P. couldn't construct a simple
sentence!

Catch you next year. As always, if you need ground transportation just ask.
Jim Burns

Old May 16th 08, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"RST Engineering" wrote

Just for your interest, not that it means a tinker's dam to EAA, I'm the
elected VP of the faculty at the college from which I teach, the elected
Treasurer of the California State College Association, the elected higher
ed (college) representative to the California Teachers' State Council, and
the elected higher ed California representative to the National Education
Association assembly in Washington DC. All of which pay a fraction of my
salary, but demand much more than that fraction in my time.

Anyway, I ain't agonna be there in July. Keep a hole open for me next year
if you would, please.

Damn, Jim, with all that going on, if it was me, I wouldn't know if it was
time to ****, or wind my watch! g

Congratulations, for all of your responsibilities, and good luck.

See you next year, I hope. I won't be there this year either, because my
son was unkind enough to schedule his wedding on the last Saturday of
Oshkosh. /;-)

Anyway, understandable, for you not coming this year...

One more tip, before next year. You'se gotta' learn how to say "no" when
they come around with another hat for you to wear. ;-)
--
Jim in NC

Old May 17th 08, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Jack Allison

Bummer but I can understand Jim. Left Coast - OSH via the Arrow is
right at 3 AMUs in airplane/fuel/hotel/etc. costs. With a couple other
things going on for me this year, the Arrow will stay home while I take
the big aluminum tube.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane

"To become a Jedi knight, you must master a single force. To become
a private pilot you must strive to master four of them"
- Rod Machado

Old May 17th 08, 05:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Bummer but I can understand Jim. Left Coast - OSH via the Arrow is right
at 3 AMUs in airplane/fuel/hotel/etc. costs. With a couple other things
going on for me this year, the Arrow will stay home while I take the big
aluminum tube.

For Chrissakes, Jack, if it's the HOTEL that's holdin' you up, you can stay
at my place...

;-)

It just ain't right, letting someone *else* fly you to OSH...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA