Debacle: Flight test of Diana-2

Old October 15th 05, 11:33 AM

I was at the meeting in Aalen. These people from Diana are very
friendly, they're normal glider fellows and they left a very good
impression.

Johannes

Old October 15th 05, 12:52 PM
Alexander

Ted Wagner wrote:
Your response does not explain your behavior to a fellow glider pilot and
potential customer. You did not just fail to communicate with him -- you
ignored, insulted and humiliated him.

Ted Wagner
Chandler, AZ, USA
Ventus-2c "2NO"

It is not my personal policy nor is it a policy of the company to get
involved in emotional exchanges on a public forum. I believe I have
addressed all the questions concerning the issue that prevails the
choice whether an interested person can fly Diana 2 - which is safety
- and I believe that every experienced glider pilot should understand
this question more than well. But let me just say some additional words
as a lot of posts are based on incomplete facts and misunderstanding:

Mr. Sharma said to me during a phone call before the presentation that
he would come even if he couldn't fly our glider.

Numbers don't mean anything. Even a pilot with 4000 hours or a world
champion requires sometimes a check flight. And not only hours or types
flown are relevant to whether somebody can fly - also the momentary
personal constitution, the emotional state, the behavior on the
airfield or other factors are a decision point. All other pilots apart
from Mr. Sharma flew in Birrfeld before and knew the local
particularities. It is not possible to set a standard for prerequisites
for customers in test flying. Also the weather may change. There is no
guarantee of what will happen when we drive to the airfield. For us it
is normal that we have to expect not to be able to fly. This is
probably different in indoor-skiing or go-cart racing but not in
aviation.

De-rigging and rigging belongs to a presentation and it has nothing to
do with whether a client can fly a glider or not. Within few minutes
our glider can be assembled for the customer flight.

With regard to the check flight (agreed at 2.00 pm) to which Mr. Sharma
came with a delay, I personally agreed with the instructor to give me a
clear sign / a clear yes that would mean that Mr. Sharma could fly our
glider. The instructor did not give me such a sign. But at the same
time the instructor tried to be polite to Mr. Sharma. When I spoke with
the instructor later when Mr. Sharma was not any more present the
instructor clearly affirmed not to allow Mr. Sharma fly our glider.

We are sorry that it was not possible for Mr. Sharma to make a test
flight.

I am convinced that Mr. Sharma misunderstood the situation and his
reaction made it impossible for me to reason with him.

By the way Mr. Sharma was not the only pilot who didn't have the
chance to fly Diana 2 during the presentation days. There were other
(very experienced) pilots who didn't have the opportunity to fly due
to weather conditions and other reasons. They understood it, took it in
a friendly way, and will take their chance to test Diana 2 when the
next opportunity arrives. One of them came all the way from USA,
another one came from the Netherlands which is much further than Italy.
These glider fellows as well as all other participants thanked for the
friendly assistance and the time spent together on the airfield. The
fact that they couldn't make their flight didn't change their
opinion about the product, the service, instead they were happy to just
be present and enjoyed being with us.

Mr. Sharma came of his own will. The distance from Birrfeld to Italy is
short, 3-4 hours on the highway and it is not necessary to spend a
night in Zurich in order to arrive at Birrfeld. Mr. Sharma told me on
the phone on the day prior to the presentation in Birrfeld that he
takes the chance to make a private visit to Zurich with a friend.

Indeed I called Mr. Sharma last evening trying to talk about mutual
misunderstandings but due to his reaction a calm conversation was not
possible.

------------------------------------

For those interested in more information about Diana 2 and our team you
can subscribe to my English and German speaking Newsletter by sending
an email with "subscribe" and your name to
or just call me (+49-178-358 83 08).

Cheers
Alexander Mueller
www.dianasegelflugzeuge.com

Old October 15th 05, 02:25 PM
Stanford Korwin

It is not my personal policy nor is it a policy of
the company to...............................

This subject has been extensively (possibly excessively)
aired, as is usual in this forum, with a range of opinions
ranging from the sublime to the ridiculous.

However, it would be very material to the case to have
unprejudiced information about exactly who, how, when
and for what reason invited Mr. Sharma to participate
in the events of which he so persistently complains.

This whole affair seems, to me, to have gained much
more exposure than it merits and I am beginning to
suspect that the gentleman doth protest too much.

Why ?!!

sta13.

Old October 15th 05, 02:25 PM
Jancsika

anti-spam-add-remove-dashes-and-dot---naresh- wrote:

1. Mr. Beres or Mr. Mueller, bring the Diana-2 to our Airfield in Parma,
Italy, to let me fly it. I'll pay for my tows, they pay their costs of
being here, boarding and lodging. The weather here is fine, so I believe
that this would be a better recourse. In addition, they will get first
hand impression of what Italian hospitality means.

2. Messrs Beres and Mueller, invite me to their factory, AT THEIR
expense, and let me fly the glider there.

Maybe in your dreams...

/jancsika
Old October 15th 05, 03:38 PM
bumper

I've only seen the original Diana in the flesh, and the Diana-2 in Sharma's
pictures. From a mechanical and esthetical perspective, the Diana-2 looks to
be inovative and nicely done. At first blush, it appears they have not cut
corners in their design, but rather have made those decisions based on, "how
can we do this best".

Alexander's recent response seemed reasonable, as did Sharma's initial
indignation. The whole incident smacks of misunderstanding, lack of
communication, emotional overreaction, not wanting to hurt another's
feelings, and maybe personality conflict. I'd suggest we call it mutual
combat and drop the whole thing.

If I were interested in the Diana-2, I'd not let any of these posts dissuade
me.

all the best,

bumper

Old October 15th 05, 04:25 PM
Udo Rumpf

What is with Europe?
The last time I flew a factory glider in Germany around 1989. I did not had
to go through this spiel
of presenting papers and proof of this or that and medicals. In Canada I
have been flying on
a DoT self declared medical for the last little while. Will I be able to fly
still in Europe legally?
What are the requirements now?
Udo

Old October 15th 05, 05:04 PM
Shawn

anti-spam-add-remove-dashes-and-dot---naresh- wrote:
Hello All,

Late last night, as I was preparing to go to our club (we are trying to
save the gliding activity at our club and not let the club sell the
gliders) for a meeting, Mr. Alexander Mueller called me on the phone. He
said that, it was a mistake to not let me fly the glider.

I do not want to write the entire 45minute conversation since:
1. There will be comments from several on RAS: BUT WE DON'T KNOW DO WE,
WHO SAID WHAT AND WHAT WAS SAID etc.
2. It would be unfair of me to say what Mr. Mueller volunteered to say
to me. Therefore, I'm forced to leave the details.

To save the lamenting any further, here is what I believe is fair if,
Mr. Alexander Muller indeed concedes that it was a mistake to not let me
fly. I would forget the whole issue and consider a proper apology made
by them if either one of the two below is done before the end of October
2005:

1. Mr. Beres or Mr. Mueller, bring the Diana-2 to our Airfield in Parma,
Italy, to let me fly it. I'll pay for my tows, they pay their costs of
being here, boarding and lodging. The weather here is fine, so I believe
that this would be a better recourse. In addition, they will get first
hand impression of what Italian hospitality means.

2. Messrs Beres and Mueller, invite me to their factory, AT THEIR
expense, and let me fly the glider there.

In both the cases, they will allow me to take as many photos and videos
as I like.

Just to clarify, to a previous post by Ian, No, I'm not a journalist,
and they were aware of all the details you so kindly have assumed.

I think you need to expect to accept remuneration for your expenses and
perhaps your time as a reasonable alternative.

Shawn
Old October 15th 05, 05:38 PM
Don Johnstone

Default Flight test of Diana-2

At 14:42 15 October 2005, Bumper wrote:
[...]

You have to be kidding. Whatever happened to 'the customer
is always right'. If these people want our money they
have to get real and realise that they have to earn
it. We are talking about the same people who made the
Puchaz after all, large credibility gap there I would
think.

all the best,

bumper

Old October 15th 05, 06:43 PM
Stanford Korwin

If You have to be kidding. Whatever happened to 'the
customer
is always right'. If these people want our money they
have to get real and realise that they have to earn
it. We are talking about the same people who made the
Puchaz after all, large credibility gap there I would
think.

No Don, the customer is not always right - he is very
often very wrong - and, in any event, he has to qualify
as a genuine, twenty four carat, customer.

Equally, we are not talking about about the same people
who made the Puchacz - or any known credibility gap
- at least known to me.

I have to say that, having traded with Poland until
fairly recently, and knowing Mr. Beres, the designer
and manufacturer of the Diana, I am not prepared to
accept Mr. Sharma's version of events and I strongly
suspect that BB was absolutely correct.

I have never heard of Mr. Sharma before, I cannot understand
why he should have been invited to test fly this sailplane
- except at his own request - I find his whole attitude
questionable and I rather suspect that Bogumil Beres
sensed that all was not as it seemed and decided not
to take any chances.

Good for him - I would have done exactly the same.

sta13.