Air Force One

Old July 9th 03, 08:01 PM
Cub Driver

Well, I might delete the term "joyride", but PR is right. PR for the troops
(at least those on the Abe), but PR for W as well, or else they wouldn't
have transported all the press out their first.

Gosh, Ron, you needn't be so polite! I am a Republican, and I call it
a PR joyride--a good one, too!

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: www.danford.net/letters.htm#9

see the Warbird's Forum at http://www.danford.net/index.htm
Vietnam | Flying Tigers | Pacific War | Brewster Buffalo | Piper Cub
Old July 9th 03, 08:06 PM
Cub Driver

OK (trying this again) - when the original request for bid was sent out for
a replacement for the VC-135s (the fleet of 707s commonly referred to as
"Air Force One") one of the stipulations was that the aircraft had to have
more than 2 engines (flight security requirement). That effectively
narrowed the field to 2 aircraft - 747 and DC-10. The "more than 2 engines
isn't an urban legend" BUT the fact that el presidente can and does utilise
aircraft with _2_ engines OCCASSIONALLY is correct; however, the "main" mode
of transportation as AF-1 is the 747.

Good try, DALing, but it won't make any imprint on the nut cases who
nitpick this stuff. Save your breath and put the jerk in your kill
file.

Old July 9th 03, 09:26 PM
David Brooks

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
rthlink.net...

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

What do you call that jaunt to the Abraham Lincoln aboard the S-3B?
(which by the way, was a twin).

I call it a morale booster for the troops, it was certainly NOT a PR
joyride.

It was both. I have no doubt the sailors' morale was boosted. Still, I get
the distinct impression that you are waiting for one of us bleeding-nose
liberals to list the objections to this stunt so you can rebut them, so here
are some of them, conveniently numbered:

1) There was no need to use a jet; the Lincoln was well within helicopter
range of land.
2) The WH insisted that the boat had to be maneuvered (at taxpayer expense)
so as not to get the San Diego skyline in the shot.
3) The troops whose morale was boosted would have been home a day earlier
without the PR stunt.

In fairness I don't count the crowds of reporters: they are often present at
morale boosters and probably enhance the effect.

-- David Brooks

Old July 9th 03, 10:12 PM
Ron Natalie

"David Brooks" wrote in message ...

1) There was no need to use a jet; the Lincoln was well within helicopter
range of land.

Yes amazingly the rest of Bush's entourage including Security-Bitch Rice had more
conventional transport.

Old July 10th 03, 03:37 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"DALing" daling43[delete]-at-hotmail.com wrote in message

OK (trying this again) - when the original request for bid was sent out

for
a replacement for the VC-135s (the fleet of 707s commonly referred to as
"Air Force One") one of the stipulations was that the aircraft had to have
more than 2 engines (flight security requirement). That effectively
narrowed the field to 2 aircraft - 747 and DC-10. The "more than 2

engines
isn't an urban legend" BUT the fact that el presidente can and does

utilise
aircraft with _2_ engines OCCASSIONALLY is correct; however, the "main"

mode
of transportation as AF-1 is the 747.

So what you're saying is there is no requirement for Air Force One to have
more than two engines. You are correct. Bye bye.

Old July 10th 03, 03:42 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"David Brooks" wrote in message

It was both. I have no doubt the sailors' morale was boosted. Still, I get
the distinct impression that you are waiting for one of us bleeding-nose
liberals to list the objections to this stunt so you can rebut them, so

here
are some of them, conveniently numbered:

1) There was no need to use a jet; the Lincoln was well within helicopter
range of land.
2) The WH insisted that the boat had to be maneuvered (at taxpayer

expense)
so as not to get the San Diego skyline in the shot.
3) The troops whose morale was boosted would have been home a day earlier
without the PR stunt.

None of those are true.

Old July 10th 03, 11:14 AM
Cub Driver

1) There was no need to use a jet; the Lincoln was well within helicopter
range of land.

Of course there was a need to use a jet. It made for a better photo!
And the Bushkin could have been wearing a business suit, too, except
that a flight suit & helmet looked better.

Good grief. There is no reason to paint Air Force One blue and white
in such an elegant design, either. Why not olive drab? For that
matter, why not a C-5A?

Shucks, why does a president wear a business suit, come to that?
Overalls serve just fine. (Oops! He was wearing overalls, wasn't he?)

I get the impression that what folks so hate about this president is
that he's so good at what he does. (Robert Byrd flapping his hands in
horror that the president--the president!--is playing politics

Old July 10th 03, 01:38 PM
me

Cub Driver wrote in message . ..
[snip]
I get the impression that what folks so hate about this president is
that he's so good at what he does.

[snip]

Um..... no.
Old July 10th 03, 03:10 PM
TMOliver

Cub Driver iterated.....

1) There was no need to use a jet; the Lincoln was well
within helicopter range of land.

Of course there was a need to use a jet. It made for a
better photo! And the Bushkin could have been wearing a
business suit, too, except that a flight suit & helmet
looked better.

Good grief. There is no reason to paint Air Force One blue
and white in such an elegant design, either. Why not olive
drab? For that matter, why not a C-5A?

Shucks, why does a president wear a business suit, come to
that? Overalls serve just fine. (Oops! He was wearing
overalls, wasn't he?)

I get the impression that what folks so hate about this
president is that he's so good at what he does. (Robert Byrd
flapping his hands in horror that the president--the
president!--is playing politics

Well writ....

But, IIRC, there's a NAVAIR requirement (likely extending the
Presidents) that folks flying in operational, non-
logistics/transport naval aircraft wear appropriate attire,
steel toed flight boots, flame-resistant flight suit (not
coveralls/overalls for several generations even before they were
orange like mine which no longer fits) and a helmet, mask, etc.
(and receive some brief on the ejection seat/exit system). The
President's qualification as a "licensed driver" of F102s in
TANG, although long ago, did provide him a likely trip through
the "Dunker" or similar "getting out of the damn thing" training
and shucks he may have had his own boots (not cowboy, but laceup
over the ankle, with protective toes.

In none of the photos did I see the neat customized items with
which my sample came, including the pocket sewn upon it for my
genuine Kaybar cnife, nor did he have the old Navy pilot's
standard S&W Model 10 loaded with 6 rounds of tracer in his
harness. Nor did he have ****cutter tucked in a convenient flap
to don one he removed his helmet. Marines salute Presidents
whether they're "covered" or not. I'm sure they gave him a nice
squadron ballcap with the appropriate measure of scrambled eggs
on the brim, and the required 8 sideboys/sidegirls were present.

"Bosun, over the 1MC, 'President, Arriving'."

The current flight suits have none of the comfort the old orange
cotton ones had after a few dozen washings.

TM
Old July 10th 03, 04:53 PM
Big John

Dan

You said "hands". Did you mean 'mouth' ?

Big John
Point of the sword