Air Gizmo panel mount for GPSMAP 196/296/396

Old March 6th 06, 07:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Air Gizmo panel mount for GPSMAP 196/296/396

Anyone out there have an Air Gizmo panel mount for their portable GPS
device?
I've been searching high and low for official word on whether or not
such an installation would require a field approval. I've heard yes and
no from various sources, including some on this group.
I ran across this tonight while searching the FAA's website:

"VOLUME 4. AIRCRAFT EQUIPMENT AND OPERATIONAL AUTHORIZATIONS 8400.10
CHG 39 12/23/05

51. FAA APPROVAL OF GLOBAL POSITIONING SYSTEM (GPS) EQUIPMENT AND
OPERATIONS.

A. Portable Units. Portable GPS receivers can only be used as a
supplemental aid to VFR in conjunction with an approved primary means
of navigation. All portable electronic systems and portable GPS units
must be handled in accordance with the provisions of 14 CFR part 91, §
91.21. The operator of the aircraft must determine that each portable
electronic device will not cause interference with the navigation and
communications systems of the aircraft on which it is to be used. Yoke
mounts usually sold with a portable GPS unit must be mounted as to not
interfere with the operation of the aircraft controls. Permanent mounts
and externally mounted antennas for use with a portable GPS unit must
be installed in an FAA-approved manner...."

We've determined that 14 CFR part 91.21 is not a problem as the device
does not interfere with NAV/COM on our aircraft.
As far as I can tell, according to 14 CFR Part 43, Appx A(Preventative
Maintenance), removing and replacing such a device would qualify as
preventative maintenance but the citation above is the only place I've
found anything pertaining to the actual INSTALLATION of such a device.

So my question is, what does "installed in an FAA approved manner"
actually mean?
Do they really mean Field Approval, or are there other FAA approved
manners in which to go about this installation?

Brock Boss
Student Pilot/Confused Co-Owner

Old March 6th 06, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

So my question is, what does "installed in an FAA approved manner"
actually mean?
Do they really mean Field Approval, or are there other FAA approved
manners in which to go about this installation?

My take is this: If it can be easily removed from the plane, and it's not
hard-wired in, it's okay to do without FAA involvement.

How is the Air Gizmo panel mount any different from my yoke mount, in that
regard? Answer: It's not.

Let us know how it works for you.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 6th 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Brock Boss wrote:
Anyone out there have an Air Gizmo panel mount for their portable GPS
device?
I've been searching high and low for official word on whether or not
such an installation would require a field approval. I've heard yes and
no from various sources, including some on this group.

You just need to find an avionics shop that's willing to go through the
paperwork exercise. Shops are going to be reluctant until there's some
precedent. Whatever research you can do beforehand about installations that have
been approved will save your shop time, and give them more confidence to accept
the challenge.

Dave
Old March 6th 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jay Honeck wrote:

How is the Air Gizmo panel mount any different from my yoke mount, in that
regard? Answer: It's not.

Let us know how it works for you.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Jay,
The difference is that the panel dock is mounted in the avionics stack
with 4 small screws, 2 on each side.
Pictures can be seen he
http://www.airgizmos.com/prod/gpsmount/gallery.asp
It's easily removable(with a screwdriver), but not as simple as
removing a yoke mount.
It's much like a radio tray, only the antenna/power cables will hang
through holes in the dock when the GPS unit is not snapped in place.

I've emailed our FSDO and am hoping to get a response.

Old March 6th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Dave Butler wrote:
You just need to find an avionics shop that's willing to go through the
paperwork exercise. Shops are going to be reluctant until there's some
precedent. Whatever research you can do beforehand about installations that have
been approved will save your shop time, and give them more confidence to accept
the challenge.

Dave

I'm scouring the web for info. A couple guys on the CPA forums have
them installed without field approvals. We've received the
documentation from Air Gizmos on the material the product is made out
of for future use if we have to go the Field Approval route. The
manufacturer is interested in seeing our Field Approval and
installation pictures if we go that way, which they believe we will
have to do.
Thanks for the advice!

Old March 7th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Brock Boss" wrote in message oups.com...

Dave Butler wrote:
You just need to find an avionics shop that's willing to go through the
paperwork exercise. Shops are going to be reluctant until there's some
precedent. Whatever research you can do beforehand about installations that have
been approved will save your shop time, and give them more confidence to accept
the challenge.

Dave

I'm scouring the web for info. A couple guys on the CPA forums have
them installed without field approvals. We've received the
documentation from Air Gizmos on the material the product is made out
of for future use if we have to go the Field Approval route. The
manufacturer is interested in seeing our Field Approval and
installation pictures if we go that way, which they believe we will
have to do.
Thanks for the advice!

The manufacturer should sponsor your effort so they can sell it to others...

Old March 7th 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

The difference is that the panel dock is mounted in the avionics stack
with 4 small screws, 2 on each side.

That's a cosmetic piece. An owner can install that kind of stuff without
approval.

The GPS is what has to be easily removable -- and it still is.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 7th 06, 05:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

..Blueskies. wrote:
The manufacturer should sponsor your effort so they can sell it to others...

Now that's using the old noggin'!

Brock Boss

Old March 7th 06, 06:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jay Honeck wrote:
That's a cosmetic piece. An owner can install that kind of stuff without
approval.

The GPS is what has to be easily removable -- and it still is.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

I've heard it described as a "non-structural hole filler" for the
panel. Others have said that a 337 is major overkill for a minor
alteration. I think this is the way we're leaning.
Now, to find an A&P that'll do it when we have the rest of our panel
worked on.

Maybe we can get this damn panel all fixed up in the Hawk and I can get
back to working on my ticket! Don't worry, the GPS will just be along
for emergencies until after the checkride.

BTW Jay, I bought your old Narco Com 120 from Mike Spera late last year
and I'm happy to report it's still working perfectly, knock on wood.

Thanks for everyone's input. I've been a lurker for a couple of years
now and always find the discussions amusing and sometimes helpful

Brock Boss
'67 172H

Old March 8th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

BTW Jay, I bought your old Narco Com 120 from Mike Spera late last year
and I'm happy to report it's still working perfectly, knock on wood.

Good to hear. That's a fine old radio (I've still got its twin in my
panel), and I only got rid of that one cuz I wanted the push-button second
frequency capability of the Narco 810.

(If you ever get to wanting that feature, it's literally a
"slide-out-slide-in" process with those two radios...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA