Kestrel DG200 canopy mod.

Old June 11th 09, 07:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

Default Kestrel DG200 canopy mod.

OK

Anyone out there with experience in converting the T59D / 401 Kestrel
canopy from the awful removable thing with a hoop exactly where you want
to watch the tug, to a single piece.

Apparently there is an approved mod using a DG200 canopy.

Second question is - would there be anyone with such a canopy /frame
assembly for sale. As I understand it you need the entire DG hinge and
pedestal part too.

FWIW - I am considering modifying a Mark 2 Slingsby T59D Kestrel 19m -
though to the best of my knowledge the canopy and cockpit is identical
on the various Kestrels.

Any advice gladly received.

Cheers
Bruce
Old June 11th 09, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Jun 11, 12:45*am, Bruce wrote:
OK

Anyone out there with experience in converting the T59D / 401 Kestrel
canopy from the awful removable thing with a hoop exactly where you want
to watch the tug, to a single piece.

Apparently there is an approved mod using a DG200 canopy.

Second question is - would there be anyone with such a canopy /frame
assembly for sale. As I understand it you need the entire DG hinge and
pedestal part too.

FWIW - I am considering modifying a Mark 2 Slingsby T59D Kestrel 19m -
though to the best of my knowledge the canopy and cockpit is identical
on the various Kestrels.

Any advice gladly received.

Cheers
Bruce

You might check in also at the kestrel401 yahoo group.

Frank Whiteley
Old June 11th 09, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara[_2_]

Not too long ago there were pictures of a Kestrel 17 on Hansjorg Streifeneders web pages with a single piece forward hinged canopy modifcation ....this glider was being offered for sale but I think the ad said "Streifeneder" modification to canopy.
noted on their website: http://www.streifly.de/segelflugzeug-service-e.htm
You have some fancy ideas for modifying your aircraft? Please tell us. Actually there is not much we are not able to put into practice. Some of our works we ·
a.. a continous long canopy for Kestrel ·
b.. an elongated front canopy for ASH 25 ·
c.. a long one-piece canopy for ASH 25 ·
d.. an elongated forward hinged canopy for Discus ·
e.. seat cushion and sidewall panels in genuine leather, seat heating ·
f.. and much more...
try asking him, his website is http://www.streifly.de/home-e.htm
tim

Old June 11th 09, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Whilst you're waiting for the fix from Streifeneder, try different
flap settings on tow.
Jim
Old June 11th 09, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

JS wrote:
Whilst you're waiting for the fix from Streifeneder, try different
flap settings on tow.
Jim

Now there's a lateral suggestion.

I shall take your suggestion and try it - but I still want the new canopy.

Bruce
Old June 11th 09, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May[_2_]

In England Don Austin has put a one-piece canopy on a kestrel,it looks like
a next generation ship,he dosen't know when to stop though, he also put
suspension,a disc brake and wing tips.

Old June 12th 09, 10:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Winglets, disk brake and a single
pece cockpit - a little wing profiling and you have a very nice
sailplane for a fraction of the cost of one (15m) with maybe 3% better
performance... A new 18m ship would cost me five times the investment
for maybe 10% more L/D. If you just want to have fun then it is a poor
investment.

The locally developed modification with polyhedral wingtips and winglets
seems to narrow that performance gap even further. So that is a probable
change when time and money allow.

Mine has already had a complete cosmetic going over and wing profile -
needs some work to pretty the cockpit up and then she is as good as new.

Lovely glider as she is - But that canopy has to go.

Old June 12th 09, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jsbrake

But wouldn't putting winglets on the bird invalidate the Type
Certicate?

I've been toying with the idea of the double-panel spoiler
modification, but I've been told that my TC would be gone and I'd be
in the "owner maintenance" category. I'm not sure that that's a good
idea.

I can understand upgrading the brakes and canopy not interfering with
the TC, but wouldn't the winglets be a structural change, and thereby
invalidate the TC?

As an aside, my TC states that my Kestrel must be "all white", with
blue-grey (or similar light) registration marks. I understand that it
was written in the early days of FRP, but would it be allowable now to
put bright red anti-collision accents on the extremities?
Old June 14th 09, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Donald Austin

JS wrote:
Whilst you're waiting for the fix from Streifeneder, try different
flap settings on tow.
Jim
Now there's a lateral suggestion.

I shall take your suggestion and try it - but I still want the new

canopy.
Bruce

As to the mods done on my Kestrel 19 I have fitted a Vega Canopy to it as

I watched the Vega Mould being made and they used an uncut Kestrel Canopy
for the front of the Vega.
I liked the simple hinging arrangement used by DG so I used this method.
The winglets I fitted were on the style of Shemp Hirth and measurably
improve the roll rate and I believe improves the best glide angle.
The BGA permitted the fitting ofwnglets to any gider that can have its
wings extended. ie 20 Meter Kestrel.I have also fitted two ASW 20's
with winglets.The easy way to do this is to modify the stub tips.
Kestrels are too heavy for a drum brake but a M/Cycle front disk brake can
be obtained complete with Brake Lever pipe and reservoir quite easilly.The
standard Glider wheel with disk is the one I used.
It seemed a shame not to fit Rubber springs to the U/C when it was
reassembled so I did.
Anyone who would like a picture is welcome.
Don Austin

Kestrel 17 Polar Jim Archer Soaring 1 November 24th 08 04:33 PM
Kestrel 19 Questions [email protected] Soaring 13 October 30th 08 04:26 PM
Wanted. DG200 or DG 400 17M tips extensions. [email protected] Soaring 0 November 7th 07 05:39 AM
Epic vs Kestrel Kyle Boatright Home Built 0 August 3rd 06 03:19 AM
Slingsby Kestrel 19m Grant Johnson Soaring 1 July 27th 06 06:14 AM