A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

2020 Mackay, Idaho Regatta

Old October 31st 19, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Boise Pilot
external usenet poster

Default 2020 Mackay, Idaho Regatta

Annual Mackay, ID Regatta at U62 airport, tows will be available from July 16 through July 26. mountain and valley flying. O2 - refills are not available nearby, Spot or equivalent required. FLARM STRONGLY recommended. Limited options for RV or motels so reservations so suggest making them early. Nightly group dinners and lots of social activity. Non flying days, hiking, fishing, biking and touring. Airport tie down space requires tie down equipment. contact Tom Dixon
(dixon. put in the two digit number and letter for the measurement for the long wings on an ASG 29 @gmail.com)
"
For information, questions and info on places to stay.
Tom
Boise, ID
Old October 31st 19, 12:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net
external usenet poster

I must ask about the lack of "nearby" oxygen refills.

The regatta is 10 days long. The field elevation is 5892ft. So oxygen use would be expected and refills would be needed.

The limiting factor is then how far away would one have to travel to get a quick turnaround refill?

Thanks, John
Old October 31st 19, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, October 31, 2019 at 6:41:46 AM UTC-6, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:

The regatta is 10 days long. The field elevation is 5892ft. So oxygen use would be expected and refills would be needed.

The limiting factor is then how far away would one have to travel to get a quick turnaround refill?

Thanks, John

He is just saying that commercially available oxygen is not available close by, so don't plan on coming and then filling up your oxygen bottles because the supply is limited. If you are coming and can bring extra please do, If you need oxygen please coordinate with Tom, a number of us bring extra, But availability is a bit potluck, if you don't bring your own. So far we have always had enough, and just want to keep it that way.
Old October 31st 19, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

In the past, at another location, a friend and I on safari rented a
large O2 bottle from the local medical supplier.Â* Cost was $42 for a
month though we only needed it for a week.Â* We brought our own
trans-fill hose and, at the end of the week, offered free O2 for anyone
who wanted it.

On 10/31/2019 8:40 AM, Brian wrote:
On Thursday, October 31, 2019 at 6:41:46 AM UTC-6, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:

Thanks, John

He is just saying that commercially available oxygen is not available close by, so don't plan on coming and then filling up your oxygen bottles because the supply is limited. If you are coming and can bring extra please do, If you need oxygen please coordinate with Tom, a number of us bring extra, But availability is a bit potluck, if you don't bring your own. So far we have always had enough, and just want to keep it that way.

--
Dan, 5J
Old October 31st 19, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

On Thursday, October 31, 2019 at 8:43:34 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
who wanted it.

Thanks, John

--
Dan, 5J

Make that free beer and you could create a movement.
Old October 31st 19, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Back in the 90s, when I made home brew, I always brought plenty to the
glider port.Â* Never had to look for someone to help remove the wings. :-D

On 10/31/2019 10:31 AM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
who wanted it.

Thanks, John

--
Dan, 5J

Make that free beer and you could create a movement.

--
Dan, 5J
Old October 31st 19, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Great idea and what I was thinking....bring large supply, maybe some adaptors, charge market price plus....the whole "what is cost to get it elsewhere?" Don't rape, but a markup is sorta OK....

No, never really needed O2 in eastern flatlands....most I will need is a diamond climb in SE NYS....last regular badge flight out of my home field (06N.....Middletown, NY....).....I have earned EVERY badge from same home field....from "A" through gold and 2 diamonds....missing diamond altitude.....I believe 6 in NYS....I would love to add a 1000K from here as well....slight chance.....
Old October 31st 19, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Boise Pilot
external usenet poster

See Brian's response. Historically we have had some bring big bottles to use as refills. We have the necessary hoses and adapters for USA stuff. Those that bring the big bottles - large med tanks - get first use but usually are able to help others. My glider only has room for the small 'D' bottles but I have 5 of them so have not needed to refill in the past. Towards the end of the stay one may only get 1,100 lbs +/- . A commercial refill is about 3 hours each way. So obtaining a large bottle as Dan suggested is optimal.
tom

Thanks, John

Old November 1st 19, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, October 31, 2019 at 9:43:34 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
who wanted it.

That is pretty much exactly what I do only I already have a Large Bottle. My O2 supplier will let me delay the exchange of my old bottle for a couple weeks for a minimal charge ($15?) So I usually have the bottle left over oxygen from last year and a full bottle. But at Mackay we typically spend a lot of time between 16-18K with the option of going to 28K (Wave Window) so in two weeks we can use a significant amount of oxygen. Donations are accepted to offset the cost of the O2.

Brian
Old November 10th 19, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron (Sr)
external usenet poster

who wanted it.

Thanks, John

--
Dan, 5J

Oxygen is Oxygen. There is no difference between aviation and commercial welding oxygen except for liability insurance. I once ran a welding business so I have a large bottle of welding Oxygen that I use to refill my glider bottle. Done it for years. no problem.
And it's easy to rent a welding bottle from any commercial supplier for far less bucks.
Matt Herron