Cobra Trailer Fenders

Old November 24th 19, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

Default Cobra Trailer Fenders

On Sunday, November 24, 2019 at 11:16:47 AM UTC-6, Patrick McMahon wrote:
A few items, the tires were considered in the purchase, I think 5 years old, pressure checked, sat on concrete patio stones with UV covered when not in heated storage. They were replaced as blown with 155/80/R13's to ensure I maintained a spare - which, will also be upgraded as we get to work with the ship.

The fenders were metal, did have the Cobra mudguard but did not have the wheel chock holder.

This is our most promising solution which would be an upgrade from the rounded metal fenders, and save us some cash toward neo wingtips - https://www.amazon.ca/Mudguard-Trail...omotive&sr=1-5

The trailer has been updated to LED lights, although my vehicle detected a fault which I could not immediately location (both side markers on both sides and all functions of the taillights worked). Now that I think about it, maybe the bulb for the license plate...

T8 - your math is bad, and your comment is insulting
Thanks Tom, but we'll be looking to replace both for less than the shipping of the one you have
Dan, 5J - seems like it, not much value on the juice:squeeze ratio
Thanks glidergeek, that's the kind of sense I'm aligned with

Sorry I asked.

Patrick, don't be sorry you asked. Your question gives us all in the soaring community a good opportunity to discuss and get cautioned about how important our trailer tires are, and to get a good advice based on the others' experience(s). I may have a Cobra trailer similar to your 1984, metal fenders), generally well maintained by previous owners. Goes beautifully behind my Mazda CX-5, manual gear. An incident I had with fenders was when one of them was hit by a tire debris on the expressway (saw it too late to dodge it). The fender got bent. An auto-body shop was able to fix it in a great way, and both fender got a nice new red paint. What I noticed, however, is that the paint gets hit by usual gravel and tiny stuff on the roads (have done thousands of miles across the US several times) and gets dented. I think I will put some temporary soft covers for next trips to protect them. Plastic fenders will be less trouble in that respect.
Old November 24th 19, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Saturday, November 23, 2019 at 3:43:09 AM UTC-7, Patrick McMahon wrote:
Hey all, I trailered a (new to me and a partner) glider from Ontario to Alberta last week and through the trip blew out both trailer tires on the late-80's aluminum Cobra trailer and destroyed the fenders on the trailer through the event.

The first blowout (1:15am east of Madison, Wisconsin) contorted the right fender, the second (10:15pm north of St. Paul, Minnesota) cleared the left fender clean off - not recovered.

We've found the Cobra fenders on W&W, but at $135 per side, shipping and CAD conversion it seems fairly ridiculous. We've found some options on Amazon for off-brand fenders, has anyone used these? Or, are there any used Cobra fenders around? Or other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Patrick (LS6-b EH)

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Fen...n/F008553.html
Old November 25th 19, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

It hurts to replace tires that look like new, but....
Just buy new tires every five years.
Rubber rots.
All tire manufacturers advise replacing tires at five years.
Much cheaper than new fenders and possibly a new trailer.
Trailer wreck stories are endless and epic.
Sadly most are true and were preventable.
Old November 25th 19, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

On Sunday, November 24, 2019 at 6:29:31 PM UTC-6, wrote:
It hurts to replace tires that look like new, but....
Just buy new tires every five years.
Rubber rots.
All tire manufacturers advise replacing tires at five years.

(...)

It is not my in intention to argue about the usefulness or necessity of changing tires every 5 or 6 years - sounds reasonable - but I would like to hear from some independent source, maybe an automobile club like AA or RAC or similar, provided not corrupted by lobbyists. Maybe the German 'Stiftung Warentest'?

https://www.test.de/

Don't smartphone manufacturers suggest we should buy a new phone every 2 years, a new TV set every 4 years. Shouldn't houses be built for just one generation so that the construction industry can go on and on? Isn't it farmers who advertise: Drinka pinta milka day?
Old November 25th 19, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

On Sunday, November 24, 2019 at 7:51:34 PM UTC-6, Tom BravoMike wrote:
On Sunday, November 24, 2019 at 6:29:31 PM UTC-6, wrote:
It hurts to replace tires that look like new, but....
Just buy new tires every five years.
Rubber rots.
All tire manufacturers advise replacing tires at five years.

(...)

It is not my in intention to argue about the usefulness or necessity of changing tires every 5 or 6 years - sounds reasonable - but I would prefer to hear from some independent source, maybe an automobile club like AA or RAC or similar, provided not corrupted by lobbyists. Maybe the German 'Stiftung Warentest'?

https://www.test.de/

Don't smartphone manufacturers suggest we should buy a new phone every 2 years, a new TV set every 4 years. Shouldn't houses be built for just one generation so that the construction industry can go on and on? Isn't it farmers who advertise: Drinka pinta milka day?

I've just taken a look and found this interesting (German) court decision:
https://www.test.de/Mogelpackung-Autoreifen-1215549-0/

but also this:
https://www.test.de/Autoreifen-Alter-erkennen-17311-0/

I hope Google can help you with translation.

Old November 25th 19, 04:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cdeerinck

Can anyone tell me the size of tire a Cobra trailer needs, to save me from having to wait until I can go out to check?
Old November 25th 19, 05:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Sunday, November 24, 2019 at 7:54:03 PM UTC-8, cdeerinck wrote:
Can anyone tell me the size of tire a Cobra trailer needs, to save me from having to wait until I can go out to check?

Are yours 13" or 14" wheels?
Mine are P175/70-R14
Jim
Old November 25th 19, 05:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

cdeerinck wrote on 11/24/2019 7:54 PM:
Can anyone tell me the size of tire a Cobra trailer needs, to save me from having to wait until I can go out to check?

What size are your wheels? What is the loaded trailer weight? Maybe you should
just wait ...

Old November 25th 19, 06:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

"The NHTSA recommends that tires be replaced every six years regardless of the number of miles driven. Proper inflation is the Holy Grail of tire maintenance. Too much or too little air in your tires is guaranteed to cause you trouble and uneven or excessive wear over time.Dec 17, 2013"

Removing oxidation from Cobra trailer trim rubber and plastic fenders Dave Nadler Soaring 11 September 25th 17 05:57 PM
FS Cobra Fenders Red NG Soaring 0 February 22nd 14 10:09 PM
2013 Cobra trailer price list needed for TA trailer sale [email protected] Soaring 0 June 22nd 13 02:42 PM
plastic or metal fenders on the trailer? chris Soaring 14 December 20th 10 10:51 PM
Cheap Cobra Trailer Lights 1998 Trailer on E-bay USA ONLY! flyingmr2 Soaring 4 November 16th 10 03:11 AM