Shoud Have My Instrument Written Endorsement Tomarrow

Old December 31st 04, 10:41 AM
NW_PILOT

Well, everyone I have finally received my written endorsement I am going to
try and get the instrument written test taken with in the next 2 weeks I
think of it as $80.00 for 2.5 hours entertainment.

I think I know the IFR information better than the Private information, I
have taken way more time to study the IFR info than on the private as I was
in a rush to get the private written done and also had to juggle my flight
training and written study at the same time. What a lesson that was! I
learned to get the written test done and out of the way then focus on the
flight info with pre and post flight ground instruction.

Steven Rhine
PP-ASEL

Ohh!!!! Flame away all you want at my typo's/spelling/grammar mistakes it
just shows your maturity level! I really don't care, this is usenet and I am
mature enough that I don't give a rats ass what is said about me or my
grammar, spelling and typo's.

I hope all you flamers don't act like this at home or arround your
children!!!! If you have spawned children you better hope they don't pick up
your behavioral problems of making fun of people's problems/mistakes and
take it to school with them because that's how things like columbine high &
or office killings happen! Guess who is on the receiving end when the target
finialy snaps!

I am glad I teach my son by example to respect humans because they are
violent creatures by nature and most have a maturity level of about a 6 to
10 year old or are on some kinds of mood or mind altering drugs and don't
know how to handle their impulsive and immature behavioral problems.

Old December 31st 04, 04:57 PM
Denny

Doing the instrument rating requires bit more equipment than the usual
VFR flivver with one radio - I am not attempting to pick on NW_PILOT's
airplane - It was a simple observation / comment that experience
shows that airplanes that have not been previously used as intensively
as the typical rental IFR trainer, have an increased rate of equipment
failure when they are first thrown into that environment... Part of
this is that our personal airplanes usually do not have a mechanic to
stay late and solve that day's problems so the machine is ready to go
again in the morning.. Part of it is that the non IFR owner has not
usually spent 5 hours a day with all the radios, strobes, lights,
heater, etc., on at the same time... Electronics slowly overheat with
extended running time, alternators start to voltage sag, old fuses get
brittle, hydraulic pumps get unhappy when asked to cycle the gear a
dozen times in a few hours, boost pumps get grumpy from doing
approaches repeatedly, electric trim motors bind up with constant
trimming for missed approaches, and problems start mounting... Once
these teething problems are addressed then the machine will settle down
and be reliable as a regular IFR trainer, but that process may put a
few kinks in the training schedule, especially for the owner/student on
a fast track...

Denny

Old December 31st 04, 06:02 PM
Andrew Gideon

Denny wrote:

Part of it is that the non IFR owner has not
usually spent 5 hours a day with all the radios, strobes, lights,
heater, etc., on at the same time... Electronics slowly overheat with
extended running time, alternators start to voltage sag, old fuses get
brittle, hydraulic pumps get unhappy when asked to cycle the gear a
dozen times in a few hours, boost pumps get grumpy from doing
approaches repeatedly, electric trim motors bind up with constant
trimming for missed approaches, and problems start mounting... Once
these teething problems are addressed then the machine will settle down
and be reliable as a regular IFR trainer, but that process may put a
few kinks in the training schedule, especially for the owner/student on
a fast track...

Perhaps it is my ignorance regarding maintenance, but I'm still not grasping
the logic of what you've written above. Why would, for example, fixing a
broken pump make it less likely to break again with the same heavy use?

My understanding is that increased use increases wear. There's no immunity
from wear acquired from increased use over time. That is, while our bodies
can "learn" from use (ie. exercise making us healthier or infection
teaching our immune system), mechanical systems like aircraft don't.

Is that wrong?

- Andrew

Old December 31st 04, 10:15 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Denny wrote:

Another interesting point is that many private aircraft don't stand up
to being thrashed daily as a trainer... I have noticed in the past that
PIC has mentioned that a significant percentage of private owners who
do the 10 day instrument course have to rent a plane to finish the
course as their personal airplane didn't make it to the finish line...

I don't see why rental aircraft should be anything special in this situation.
What you're saying is that many privately owned aircraft can't fly for 50 hours
or so without something breaking. If that's true (and it's certainly not true of
mine), then many rental aircraft can't do it either. The only difference would
be that the FBO usually can provide another aircraft if a rental breaks down.

As I understand the situation, the main reason that pilots don't complete an
instrument course in their own aircraft is not because their aircraft breaks
down but because their aircraft lacks some of the equipment necessary for the
checkride. They finish up what training they can in their plane and complete the
training in an aircraft with better avionics. This was especially true back when
an ADF was required for the checkride.

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.