Why GA is Dying

Old July 23rd 06, 08:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave S

Default Why GA is Dying

Dudley Henriques wrote:

Actually, the real threat to general aviation in the United States has been,
is now, and always will be, the American lawyer :-)
Dudley Henriques

I dont blame the lawyer.. I blame the folks who HIRE the lawyer.

Interesting take on this thread... How many would have thought a more
"friendly" approach would have been to simply go out to the ramp (FBO
employee, or whomever was tasked to be ramp nazi that day) and socialize
with the photographer?

Ask him nicely about what he's doing.. comment on the nice weather...
ask him where he's from.. shake his hand.. get his name.. Ask him if he
wants to get flying lessons, maybe point out a place down the road that
does discovery flights, and offer to forward his name and phone number
to them.. Invite him to come sign a visitor's log in the lobby, which
your FBO keeps there for that purpose.. look at this ID there..

If the "visitor" gets evasive or otherwise suspicious, then play "bad
cop" and switch gears.. until then, with the friendly approach, you have
made the visitor aware that he IS being watched, while at the same time
being accomodating and promoting GA. Remember.. just about all of us
started off by going to the local field and hanging around for a bit
(unless you were born into aviation, or a product of the military).

If we keep turning small airports in to private clubs with barbed wire
and keypad entries, they will soon become OLD FARTS private clubs with
rusting fences and declining membership.

Dave
Old July 23rd 06, 09:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_1_]

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 20:38:07 GMT, Michael Ware wrote:

Yup, our FBO requires ID for those that enter the ramp thru the FBO. I
think it's a small inconvenience for the step up in security.

A gain in security because you produced some form of ID? ridiculous.
And producing it for some college guy working the desk at an FBO? even more
ridiculous.

#m
--
Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough
Old July 23rd 06, 09:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_1_]

On 22 Jul 2006 15:08:54 -0700, Andrew Sarangan wrote:

A terrorist can take off from his private airstrip and land at JFK, OHare etc..

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

not only terrorists can do that :-)

well, consequence will be that every flight must be on a flight plan. (and
maybe charge 10 bucks per flight plan to pay for the system).

#m
Old July 23rd 06, 09:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_1_]

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 01:52:11 GMT, Dudley Henriques wrote:

At the point you are approached in this reasonable manner, it is
incumbent on you to supply a reasonable answer to that security officer.

Emily, next time you should answer "I am taking pictures." (this ansewr
should be reasonable enough). And smile! He has the power and you're only a
citizen. And never speak up.

#m
Old July 23rd 06, 09:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_1_]

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 01:48:26 -0000, Jim Logajan wrote:

When you consider the location (an observation area), that it was a white
woman, and the question itself, most people would realize the cop was using
the question as a mechanism of intimidation.

Profiling at its best. What about a black or oriental looking guy in his
twenties?

#m
Old July 23rd 06, 12:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

yep.
nk.net...

Old July 23rd 06, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_1_]

"Dave S" wrote in message
nk.net...
Dudley Henriques wrote:

Actually, the real threat to general aviation in the United States has
been, is now, and always will be, the American lawyer :-)
Dudley Henriques

I dont blame the lawyer.. I blame the folks who HIRE the lawyer.

Although its true you need a plaintiff to file a lawsuit, before lawyers
were allowed to advertise, that plaintiff had to seek out the lawyer and
initiate the proceedings.
Today, lawyers freely advertise, fishing the population for potential
lawsuits, not in the interest of justice, but completely in the interest of
filling their pockets. People who would never have sued anyone or sued a
major company for something happening that was the result of their own
carelessness and/or bad judgment have been "educated" by lawyers into
believing that there is gold at the end of every rainbow.......as long as
the lawyer gets their commission for showing the way.
Remember, you can have a greedy person wanting a lawsuit and nothing
happens, but put that greedy person in contact with a greedy lawyer, and the
lawsuits begin to flow. In today's legal world, this pairing is usually the
result of the lawyer initiating the contact!
Dudley Henriques

Old July 23rd 06, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jim Macklin wrote:

The next morning there were more than a dozen airplanes sitting on the ramp, firewall
forward missing and the avionics were all taken. Later the DC3 was caught and they
had rigged a canvas and chain hoist on a rail out the door. They'd taxi near a Bonanza or
C210 and if the couldn't steal the airplane, they'd use power saws or cutting torches to
remove the parts they wanted.

Drug smugglers, plain thieves, and terrorists all want your airplane.

If they were wealthy enough to have learnt flying and owning a plane,
why would they be stealing? Have I missed a tongue-in-cheek thing here,
Jim? )

Ramapriya

Old July 23rd 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Emily wrote:
Matt Whiting wrote:

Emily wrote:

Dudley Henriques wrote:

"Emily" wrote in message
. ..

That security officer has every right to approach you in a
reasonable manner and ask you to explain what you are doing.

Of course he does. And I have every right to refuse to explain myself.

You can think I'm anti-authority if you like, but my retired military
officer parents agree with my anti-authority streak, so your opinions
about it really mean nothing.

You really should move out and learn to live on your own.

Move out where? Out of my house? No thanks, if I pay a mortgage on
property, I'd like to enjoy living there.

It is obvious that you haven't yet learned to think on your own and
probably are still living with your parents.

Matt
Old July 23rd 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Emily wrote:

Dudley Henriques wrote:

Actually Emily, you being anti-authority or not is your business
really, and the fact that your parents, military or not, "agree with
your anti-authority streak" actually would have no effect on my
opinion one way or the other, as that opinion and/or any meaning that
opinion might have are totally unrelated to your parents.

I wasn't writing that for your benefit, I was writing it for anyone else
that might be reading along. I don't want other people getting the
mistaken idea that I'm a complete anarchist with no sense of when to
back down. You, on the other hand, have already made up your mind (with
an incorrect conclusion)

You certainly come across as an anarchist, or a juvenile, I'm not sure
which not knowing your age.

Matt