Why GA is Dying

Old July 23rd 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Default Why GA is Dying

Emily wrote:

Morgans wrote:

"Emily" wrote

There you go, with your adversarial tactics. Mellow out. Keep your
views,
but be pleasant about the whole thing. Honey attracts more bears than
dog
sh*t.

When you're told over and over by lovers of the current regime that
you're a libertarian anarchist freak, you tend to get defensive after a
while. And besides that, I'm not here to impress anyone.

And when you describe the current administration as a "regime" you
cement that you are an anarchist freak. You can't have it both ways.
If you are going to act like one, you will be characterized as one.

Or when the cop said something in the airport., instead of attacking, you
could have said, "I love airplanes, and am a pilot, and think that
airplanes
are the most beautiful things in the world, so I just need to capture the
beauty." I'll bet he would have said, "Oh, OK."and walked onward.

This was outside at the airport, actually. My point is, I'm not going
to explain myself when I'm not required to. I want the government out
of my life, and yes, that includes a random cop at the airport. I live
my life on the right side of the law, and I get rather annoyed when
someone suggests that I'm not.

Unfortunately, unless you go buy your own island, you will have some
government in your life no matter where in the world you go.

Matt
Old July 23rd 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Dave S wrote:

Dudley Henriques wrote:

Actually, the real threat to general aviation in the United States has
been, is now, and always will be, the American lawyer :-)
Dudley Henriques

I dont blame the lawyer.. I blame the folks who HIRE the lawyer.

Interesting take on this thread... How many would have thought a more
"friendly" approach would have been to simply go out to the ramp (FBO
employee, or whomever was tasked to be ramp nazi that day) and socialize
with the photographer?

Ask him nicely about what he's doing.. comment on the nice weather...
ask him where he's from.. shake his hand.. get his name.. Ask him if he
wants to get flying lessons, maybe point out a place down the road that
does discovery flights, and offer to forward his name and phone number
to them.. Invite him to come sign a visitor's log in the lobby, which
your FBO keeps there for that purpose.. look at this ID there..

Yes, a much better approach. Accomplishes the same thing from a
security perspective and maybe even gets a new student if the person
isn't there for nefarious purposes.

Matt
Old July 23rd 06, 02:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Martin Hotze wrote:

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 01:52:11 GMT, Dudley Henriques wrote:

At the point you are approached in this reasonable manner, it is
incumbent on you to supply a reasonable answer to that security officer.

Emily, next time you should answer "I am taking pictures." (this ansewr
should be reasonable enough). And smile! He has the power and you're only a
citizen. And never speak up.

That is the nice thing about the US, the citizens have the ultimate
power at the end of the day. Maybe not any one citizen in an encounter
such as this, but we can vote the rascals out. Unfortunately, as one of
our early statesman said, and I'm paraphrasing, one of the problems with
democracy is that people will vote for things that in the end will
bankrupt the government. We all hate other people's pork, but vote for
representatives who will get us our fair share. Unfortunately, everyone
gets more than their fair share and we're going bankrupt because of it.

Matt
Old July 23rd 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Dudley Henriques wrote:

"Dave S" wrote in message
nk.net...

Dudley Henriques wrote:

Actually, the real threat to general aviation in the United States has
been, is now, and always will be, the American lawyer :-)
Dudley Henriques

I dont blame the lawyer.. I blame the folks who HIRE the lawyer.

Although its true you need a plaintiff to file a lawsuit, before lawyers
were allowed to advertise, that plaintiff had to seek out the lawyer and
initiate the proceedings.
Today, lawyers freely advertise, fishing the population for potential
lawsuits, not in the interest of justice, but completely in the interest of
filling their pockets. People who would never have sued anyone or sued a
major company for something happening that was the result of their own
carelessness and/or bad judgment have been "educated" by lawyers into
believing that there is gold at the end of every rainbow.......as long as
the lawyer gets their commission for showing the way.
Remember, you can have a greedy person wanting a lawsuit and nothing
happens, but put that greedy person in contact with a greedy lawyer, and the
lawsuits begin to flow. In today's legal world, this pairing is usually the
result of the lawyer initiating the contact!

Personally, I have no problem with lawyers advertising, but I think we
also should have a loser pays system like at least parts of Europe
enjoy. The losing lawyer should pay the winning lawyer's fee and the
court costs and the plaintiff should pay the defendant's costs if the
plaintiff loses.

Matt
Old July 23rd 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
me[_1_]

Security doesn't just have to be about preventing terrorism or a reaction to
terrorism. Plenty of airplanes have very expensive and very easy to remove
avionics and parts.

I find it strange that so many people will defend the right for people to
walk around an airport un hindered taking pictures or just looking around..

Yet I would guess that if the same person were walking around the marina or
the RV storage yard or your house taking pictures or writing down your
license plates, boat registration numbers you just might consider it
suspicious and challenge the person yourself. ( a picture is the same as
writing it down, it can be reviewed later)

And let's not forget that it is only the aircraft tail number that anyone
can go to the internet and lookup the owners name and address on the
internet..

I have a feeling that the people who complain the most about the fences or
the locks on the doors are the ones who don't own an aircraft that they want
protected from any kind of harm..

Old July 23rd 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

My personal opinion on this is that you are either going to have airport
security or you're not..period!

I don't know what this means. There is no such thing as security - only
illusion - if we wish to preserve our basic freedoms. If you are
willing to give up your basic freedoms, then the security you end up
with will prevent you from flying in the first place. There are in fact
gradations in the effectiveness of security, and of the illusions it
presents to the public.

People who are taking pictures at airports unfortunately are now a security
issue.

In what way are they a "security issue"?

In what way does showing an ID make the "security issue" go away?

...recognizing its a security issue until you demonstrate that its not...

Proving your innocence? That's not the way it works in a free society.

By [the OP's] own word, he simply asked you why you were taking
pictures.

No, he was doing so in uniform. That makes all the difference.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old July 23rd 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

...plaintiff should pay the defendant's costs if the plaintiff loses.

This gives a huge advantage to the rich and the corporate, who can
afford the risk of losing a suit, especially one of high stakes.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old July 23rd 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Matt Whiting wrote:
Emily wrote:
Matt Whiting wrote:

Emily wrote:

Dudley Henriques wrote:

"Emily" wrote in message
. ..

That security officer has every right to approach you in a
reasonable manner and ask you to explain what you are doing.

Of course he does. And I have every right to refuse to explain myself.

You can think I'm anti-authority if you like, but my retired
military officer parents agree with my anti-authority streak, so
your opinions about it really mean nothing.

You really should move out and learn to live on your own.

Move out where? Out of my house? No thanks, if I pay a mortgage on
property, I'd like to enjoy living there.

It is obvious that you haven't yet learned to think on your own and
probably are still living with your parents.

Matt

Obvious?

Hmmm....I wonder where they are? Maybe upstairs? Maybe in the garage?
Um, no, how odd, I can't find them. Maybe because they live 1000
miles away and I own this house that I live in ALONE.
Old July 23rd 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Matt Whiting wrote:

You certainly come across as an anarchist, or a juvenile, I'm not sure
which not knowing your age.

Matt

No, I come across as someone who is terrified about the state of our
current government. At least one person has picked up on that. I can't
help your lack of reading comprehension. Are you American?
Old July 23rd 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Martin Hotze wrote:
On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 01:52:11 GMT, Dudley Henriques wrote:

At the point you are approached in this reasonable manner, it is
incumbent on you to supply a reasonable answer to that security officer.

Emily, next time you should answer "I am taking pictures." (this ansewr
should be reasonable enough). And smile! He has the power and you're only a
citizen. And never speak up.

Like someone else said, that's the great thing about the United States.
I'm not "only" a citizen.