JPI EDM700 v EI UBG16 - comments?

Old October 15th 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning
Stan Prevost

Default JPI EDM700 v EI UBG16 - comments?

Hi, Peter -

I used an EI 16-channel non-graphic monitor for five years (don't remember
the model number, but they still sell it) and found it and the probes to be
reliable. There was some occasional problem with the inline connectors, but
they were old when I started using them. That airplane is sold and I have
now bought an EI UBG-16 for the new airplane. I have not yet taken
possession of the airplane so the monitor is not installed. EI so far has
been great and doesn't worry about a few bucks when trying to help you with
a problem.

Engine monitors and engine heaters and factory CHT probes always seem to
conflict. I bought a Tanis heater but got the bolt heaters that replace one
of the intake tube flange bolts on each cylinder. I also bought a Tanis
washer-type thermocouple probe that supposedly works under the factory CHT
gauge rather than using a washer-type probe that goes under a spark plug.
So in some weeks ahead I can report on how this all worked out.

Stan

"Peter" wrote in message
Hi

A colleague (who is not on the internet) is looking at one or the
other, for his 4-seat IFR tourer.

I personally have an EDM700 and after an initial replacement when new
(buggy firmware, could not download data to a PC) it has been working
fine. I am not impressed with the probes; I've had two fail in 4
years.

The EDM data download feature is dreadful; often I get corrupted
downloads which need to be emailed to JPI and then I have to hassle
them to get around to retrieving the data. This tends to result from
the data queue having overflowed, but obviously one should still be
able to retrieve data on *complete* flights.

On paper, the EI version looks a lot better, but I have never met
anybody who has one. They claim more rugged probes in particular.

Any views would be much appreciated.

As an aside, wasn't there a big lawsuit in this department, some years
ago?

Peter.
E-mail replies to but remove the A and the B.