need help looking at website :)

Old April 26th 04, 01:41 AM
Mu

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 15:33:31 -0400, Cub Driver
wrote:

I would be very grateful if one or more of you would point your web
browsers at 65.108.100.215

So what do you see? Images or red X's?

Thanks!

I see a nice site... with images.
I'm using Netscape 4.8 .

Greetz Mu

Old April 26th 04, 02:20 AM

Cub Driver wrote:

I would be very grateful if one or more of you would point your web
browsers at 65.108.100.215

Looks like you don't need much more help but here it is...

Good results with IE 6.0, Netsacpe 7.1 and Opera 7.23

No problems at all...quite normal.
--

-Gord.
Old April 26th 04, 02:47 AM

wrote:

I would be very grateful if one or more of you would point your web
browsers at 65.108.100.215

So what do you see? Images or red X's?

Nice images - using Mozilla.

Now that his problem is well surveyed how about some advice?

I have a huge problem with "Runtime errors" And this error
below...(403)

QUOTE:
You are not authorized to view this page
You might not have permission to view this directory or page
using the credentials you supplied.
If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page,
please try to contact the Web site by using any e-mail address or
phone number that may be listed on the download.microsoft.com
home page. You can click Search to look for information on the
Internet.

HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden
Internet Explorer
UNQUOTE

This error is the result of this URL: (among many many others)
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...dxwebsetup.exe

I get this very often...I can usually get into the 'root' of
these URL's but if I try to get beyond the root then the above
error shows. I get the same type of error with Netscape 7.1, it
says "This object has been blocked". It's driving me nuts, I've
tried removing all anti-virus stuff, all firewalls for tests,
I've been playing for weeks with parameters, nothing helps...any
advice?

--

-Gord.
Old April 26th 04, 05:15 AM
Marc Reeve

Ed Rasimus wrote:

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 21:53:40 +0200, "Emmanuel Gustin"
wrote:

"Cub Driver" wrote in message
.. .

So what do you see? Images or red X's?

Images.

Using IE6.

Emmanuel

Red X's here, also using IE 6.

Under Opera 6.03 and Mozilla 1.2.1, I got images.

IE 5.1.7 gave me red exes.

All these on a Macintosh, if it matters.
--
Marc Reeve
actual email address after removal of 4s & spaces is
Old April 26th 04, 06:47 AM
John Keeney

"Cub Driver" wrote in message

I would be very grateful if one or more of you would point your web
browsers at 65.108.100.215

This is a mirror of the Warbird's Forum website. When I look at it,
there are no images--only a Bill Gatesian red X where the image should
be. When the hosting company looks at the page, the images are there.
I went to the library and used one of the terminals there--no joy! But
perhaps the library and I are both using the same service provider.

So what do you see? Images or red X's?

I found zero red X's.

Old April 26th 04, 11:18 AM
Cub Driver

I was hoist by my own .htaccess file! (Don't ask...)

Many thanks. I got the problem fixed yesterday afternoon.

Images.

Using IE6.

Emmanuel

Red X's here, also using IE 6.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! blog www.vivabush.org
Old April 26th 04, 11:19 AM
George Ruch

Cub Driver wrote:

I would be very grateful if one or more of you would point your web
browsers at 65.108.100.215

[SNIP]

So what do you see? Images or red X's?

Images. Mozilla 1.6
/------------------------------------------------------------\
| George Ruch |
| "Is there life in Clovis after Clovis Man?" |
\------------------------------------------------------------/

Old April 26th 04, 11:22 AM
Cub Driver

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 22:23:28 +0200, Andreas Parsch
wrote:

The webserver at 65.108.100.165 seems to have trouble with relative local
image URLs, like the "plain" filenames (i.e. without directory path and/or
"http://..." prefix) of the images.

Just so, Andreas. It is a mirror site (I'm changing hosts) and I
copied over everything, including the .htaccess file that blocks
people from hotlinking my images. Well, it turned out that the file of
course was written for the existing site, and it blocked the new one
as an interloper, even though the images were on the same site and in
the same directory.

Old April 26th 04, 11:31 AM
Dweezil Dwarftosser

" wrote:

I have a huge problem with "Runtime errors" And this error
below...(403)

QUOTE:
You are not authorized to view this page
You might not have permission to view this directory or page
using the credentials you supplied.
If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page,
please try to contact the Web site by using any e-mail address or
phone number that may be listed on the download.microsoft.com
home page. You can click Search to look for information on the
Internet.

It is very common these days among the mass-market servers
(MSN, AOL, RR, Geocities, Tripod, etc.) to disallow "remote loading"
of images. (It prevents "hijacking" someone else's images into
your page, for example.) Most often, they do this by checking
the "referer" webpage, which your browser sends during the HTTP
request. If it isn't inside the same hierarchy (MSN/owner webpage,
in this case) - it won't serve up images.

What we have here is a case where either:
- the "mirror" is trying to save disk space/bandwidth charges
by remote loading the images... OR
- the mirror's webpages are *exact* copies of the original,
and set the base webpage to MSN (instead of itself); the
mirror then denies serving up images because it appears
to be requested from a foreign base page: MSN, rather than
itself.

The coding is defective, and non-compliant with standards.
It doesn't matter if some very recent browsers (with massive
security holes) can overcome the defects.

The techno-yahoos will complain that everyone should upgrade
their browser to the latest-and-greatest "fault tolerant"
versions. Bull. If the website complied with the standards,
*no one* would experience difficulties with it.
Old April 26th 04, 11:59 AM
Richard

Problems Displaying Images in Internet Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q181836

Web Accessories Functionality Turns Off Image Downloading
http://support.microsoft.com/search/...;en-us;Q223050

How Internet Explorer Cache Settings Affect Web Browsing
http://support.microsoft.com/search/...;en-us;Q263070

Pictures Are Not Displayed on Web Sites in Internet Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/search/...;en-us;Q283807

Web Pages Display a Red "X" Instead of a Graphic
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q316545