P-47!

Old July 6th 05, 12:59 AM
Bob Chilcoat

Default P-47!

Yesterday, as I was lamenting having to spend the holiday pressure washing
the siding on the house, I suddenly heard the unmistakable sound of a large
radial engine. I looked up just in time to see a P-47 flying overhead at
1500'. Wow! It was heading straight toward SMQ (Somerset, NJ Airport),
three miles away, where I keep my plane.

I suspect it was the P-47 from the Planes of Fame Museum at Farmingdale,
(http://www.warbird-photos.com/Airsho...s/IMG_0449.JPG)
probably meeting up with Dan Dameo at Somerset in the Corsair from the same
museum
(http://www.warbird-photos.com/Airsho...s/IMG_0839.JPG) that
he flies, so that they could do some July 4th overflights. A couple of
years ago I stopped by the airport very early and took some videos of Dan
(who lives nearby, so he parks the Corsair at SMQ and flies airshows from
there) starting up the Corsair, taking off, and then joining up with the
P-47 as it arrived from Long Island and the pair doing a couple of formation
passes over the field for us.

At any rate, I was unaware that they were flying yesterday, but was very
pleased to see the plane flying overhead. You don't see a P-47 flying
overhead outside an airshow much anymore. Nice.

Old July 6th 05, 05:16 PM

A few weeks ago at the Corsairs over Connecticut weekend at Bridgeport
CT I spoke to the owner of one of the planes. He's based at Red Lion in
NJ. Is that near Somerset?

Will

Old July 6th 05, 08:53 PM
Bob Chilcoat

Red Lion is farther south, east of Philly. Somerset is still in the Mode C
veil of the Newark Class B.

oups.com...