More Blackbird Trivia

Old May 19th 04, 04:02 PM
Jay Honeck

Default More Blackbird Trivia

After our last discussion about the SR-71 Blackbird, a debate ensued as to
whether the Blackbird actually overflew Soviet airspace, in direct violation
of the agreement the U.S. signed with the U.S.S.R. after the Francis Gary
Powers incident. This agreement forbade overflights.

I was under the impression that the U.S. *had* flown the SR-71 over
Russia -- so I decided to check with a friend who worked closely with the
Blackbird for over three decades. It turns out we're all correct, sort
of...

Here's his response:

"Hi Jay, I am still out of town but will be home later this week. The
Blackbird was banned from crossing Russia by a law congress passed after the
Gary Powers incident. We did however fly the D21 over there but it was not a
complete crossing but an in and out mission. The SR71 did fly the perimeters
and could obtain a lot of elint data that way around every edge of Russia."

So there you have it. The Blackbird itself did not overfly Russia -- but
the D21 (that weird-looking probe that was mounted on top of the Blackbird,
between the two tails) did. It was not, however, a complete crossing.

Or, at least, that's what the experts are willing to admit to us at this
point! :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 19th 04, 04:32 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Jay Honeck" said:
So there you have it. The Blackbird itself did not overfly Russia -- but
the D21 (that weird-looking probe that was mounted on top of the Blackbird,
between the two tails) did. It was not, however, a complete crossing.

The D21 wasn't a probe, it was an unmanned drone that was launched from
the SR-71. You probably mean the same thing, but when I see "probe" I
tend to think of something that stays attached.

BTW: Everything I've read suggests the D21 was spectacularly unsuccessful.
Besides killing a few SR-71 pilots in separation accidents, they also had
a couple that never returned from missions into China, and most of the
rest that did come back were found to have not collected any data due to
glitches.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"AOL would be a giant diesel-smoking bus with hundreds of ebola victims on
Old May 19th 04, 05:14 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
newsGKqc.34420$6f5.3418116@attbi_s54...
[...]

So now he has to kill you?

Old May 19th 04, 05:15 PM
William W. Plummer

Doesn't "overflight" mean within international airspace? Class-A goes upto
60,000 ft and the Blackbird could fly at 85,000. So it was possible for it
to overfly Russia above international airspace. But did the Agreement
write that out? If so, how was airspace and overflight defined? E.g., is
the moon overflying us?

Old May 19th 04, 05:42 PM
Mike Rapoport

Where did you come up with this definition or "international airspace" or
even the term?

Mike
MU-2

Old May 19th 04, 06:17 PM
William W. Plummer

ICAO -- something like "International Council on Aircraft Operations".
They define Class-A, class-B, etc. Not to mention METARs and the like.
USA adopted these in 1992 IIRC.

ink.net...

Old May 19th 04, 10:36 PM
Bob Moore

"lardsoup" wrote

Of course it over flew the USSR. Why to you thing they build it?

WARNING....time for another spelling lesson.

"Why *do* you *think* they *built* it?

Bob Moore