Static wicks... recommendations

Old February 11th 07, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dico

Default Static wicks... recommendations

Hello,

We don't have any static wicks on our plane. With the -20C dry dry
weather we've been having, the radios have some static and the VOR has
been a bit wonky as of late. A couple things I've read are affected
by static.

I have a Twin Comanche. Can anyone suggest a good static wick and
how many one should have on a plane?

Thanks,

Dico

Old February 12th 07, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

I did an article in Kitplanes on diy static wicks for a nickel apiece. You
could try them and see if that is the cure and then buy the expensive ones
if you wish.

Get a crimp terminal or solder lug that will pass the head of the screw
where you want to put the wick. Typically this will be near the trailing
(sharp) edge of a metal surface. On the 182 heavy, I've got them top and
bottom of both wingtips and on the tailcone.

Get yourself a 100k-1M small (quarter or eighth watt) resistor. Crimp or
solder one of the leads into the terminal with the body of the resistor as
close to the terminal crimp/solder point as you can get it. Cut off the
lead before you solder/crimp it so that it doesn't have a sharp edge
exposed. Cut the other lead to as sharp a point as you can get or solder a
hairfine very short wire to the lead. The idea is to get the static
electricity to dissipate itself in the body of the resistor so that very
little energy is left to exit the airframe at the sharp point at the end of
the resistor.

Cover the whole assembly (except for the hole for the screw and the sharp
point at the output) with shrink sleeving.

Jim

oups.com...

Old February 12th 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
karl gruber[_1_]

And before you do that, make sure the elevators, ailerons and flaps are
bonded to the airframe.

Karl

KX-155 static Robert M. Gary Piloting 3 September 13th 06 03:40 AM
KX-155 static Robert M. Gary Owning 4 September 13th 06 03:40 AM
static wicks keepitrunning Home Built 6 January 1st 06 01:01 AM
Shocking windshield a sign you need static wicks? Ben Jackson Owning 2 June 9th 05 10:20 PM
Couple of Plugs: Stan Shannon and Wicks Aircraft Larry Smith Home Built 8 November 8th 03 01:22 AM