777 Death Dive over Atlantic

Old October 21st 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
JesusLives

Default 777 Death Dive over Atlantic

A packed British Airways jet was just seconds from disaster
after plummeting out of the sky in a dramatic near miss over
America, it has emerged.

BA flight 2166 carrying 175 terrified passengers, three
pilots and 11 crew plunged 600 feet in a bid to avoid
collision with another plane above it.

Two passengers and four crew members were injured in the
dramatic incident which took place at 16,500 feet just 15
minutes after take off from Tampa in Florida.

US air traffic controllers had just seconds earlier told the
BA flight to start ascending from 16,000ft to 20,000ft when
the emergency happened.

The emergency collision avoidance system on the Boeing 777
plane kicked in over the Atlantic Ocean, causing lights to
flash and an alarm to sound in the cockpit, with the pilot
hearing the words "descend,descend,descend."

The descent was so sudden that some of the crew members left
the floor, went into "freefall" and hit their heads on the
ceiling of the plane as it plummeted.

Others slammed into the bulkheads. All four crew were stood
down from their duties while being treated for bruises on
board in the Club cabin for the remainder of the flight.

They were met by paramedics when the plane landed at London
Gatwick.

Injuries included back pains, bruises and swelling to arms
and hands,

BA confirmed last night that the near miss is now being
formally investigated by the US Federal Aviation Administration.

It said its pilots had acted properly and professionally but
had been under the authority of US air traffic controllers
when the emergency occurred.

Staff were praised for their handling of the emergency.

One eyewitness said: "I was on the Tampa flight. About 15
minutes into the climb the aircraft suddenly dropped out of
the sky."

"Luckily all of other passengers were all still strapped in.
But unfortunately the cabin crew were starting to prepare
for service and were badly injured."

"At least four were so bad that they were unable to continue
working."

The eye-witness said: "The captain came on and apologised
saying that he had to take emergency evasion action to avoid
a collision with another aircraft above him."

"There was a paramedic on board who apparently said 'It will
be OK to continue but it was touch and go as to whether they
return to Tampa."

BA confirmed that one of the forward Club class cabins was
used as an impromptu sick-bay in which the injured
stewardesses were treated and allowed to recuperate.

The eyewitness said: "I have been a frequent flyer for over
40 years and it is the scariest thing I have ever experienced."

"I'm off now to change my underwear."

Another said: "It felt like turbulence in the Club cabin but
of course the poor guys and girls at the back got their
freefall experience."

The stricken BA plane left Tampa, Florida at 6.30pm on
Tuesday October 10 and landed at Gatwick at 8am on Wednesday
October 11th. But details have only today emerged.

A BA spokesman said: "Our pilots were under the control of
US air traffic controllers when the incident happened."

"They had been asked to ascend from 16,000ft to 20,000ft,
but then told to hold at 16,500ft. At the same time the
emergency collision avoidance system - TCAS- told our crew
to descend. They followed this command."

BA said it did not know the identity of the other plane
involved in the near miss - or how close - only that it had
been above their plane.

Collision avoidance systems are programmed only to operate
when a collision is likely and the safe space between
aircraft - whether horizontally or vertically, has been
compromised.

BA said: "We have filed a report with the US Federal
Aviation Authority which is investigating."
Old October 21st 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

BFD and you snipped the copyright info. Plunged a whole 600
feet? My God, that is about like straight and level flight
for a poor pilot.

. ..

Old October 21st 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
john smith

Another story where British pilots encounter a situation and decide to
fly all the way to the UK before landing!!!
Fifteen minutes after takeoff, four crew members are injured severly
enough that they cannot continue with their duties, and the Captain
decides to let them suffer for another eight hours and 15 minutes before
they are allowed to receive proper medical attention?
Old October 21st 06, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roger (K8RI)

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 15:55:16 -0400, JesusLives
wrote:

A packed British Airways jet was just seconds from disaster
after plummeting out of the sky in a dramatic near miss over
America, it has emerged.

BA flight 2166 carrying 175 terrified passengers, three
pilots and 11 crew plunged 600 feet in a bid to avoid
collision with another plane above it.

Death dive? He only did a push over to lose 600 feet. I've been on a
737 that did that when it hit the jet stream. The only difference was
every one was strapped down. Unfortunately it was right after
breakfast and most of those were not held down. Have you ever been on
an airplane with 150 (give or take) puking passengers? When seated
with the choir it becomes difficult to not join in with the singing.
Thankfully the guy to my right on the aisle seat was a seasoned
traveler.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old October 21st 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roger (K8RI)

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 22:02:38 GMT, john smith wrote:

Another story where British pilots encounter a situation and decide to
fly all the way to the UK before landing!!!
Fifteen minutes after takeoff, four crew members are injured severly
enough that they cannot continue with their duties, and the Captain
decides to let them suffer for another eight hours and 15 minutes before
they are allowed to receive proper medical attention?

Yah gotta admire the tenacity and toughness of those British crews.
Had it been one of ours they'd probably have thrown in the towel and
went back to the airport. :-))

As to the 600 feet, I've been on flights where I was happy to hold
that close. US:" Ahhhh...ATC it's a tad bumpy up here and we *may*
have a bit of a problem holding altitude." (We were getting the crap
beat out of us) Them: "Yah, we know. The alarms are off". A 182 about
20 miles to the north or NNE was reporting torrential rain and severe
turbulence. That was where we were headed. Naturally that particular
flight was my second time in actual with the first having been that
morning.
Old October 22nd 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

wrote:

A packed British Airways jet was just seconds from disaster
after plummeting out of the sky in a dramatic near miss over
America, it has emerged.

BA flight 2166 carrying 175 terrified passengers, three
pilots and 11 crew plunged 600 feet in a bid to avoid
collision with another plane above it.

Death dive? He only did a push over to lose 600 feet. I've been on a
737 that did that when it hit the jet stream. The only difference was
every one was strapped down. Unfortunately it was right after
breakfast and most of those were not held down. Have you ever been on
an airplane with 150 (give or take) puking passengers? When seated
with the choir it becomes difficult to not join in with the singing.
Thankfully the guy to my right on the aisle seat was a seasoned
traveler.

Did you ever see the movie 'The Goonies', where the heavy-set kid tells
the tale of his prank in the balcony of the movie theater going horribly
wrong?

Now, that's just good stuff ;-)

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA
Old October 22nd 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
G. Sylvester

Roger (K8RI) wrote:
As to the 600 feet, I've been on flights where I was happy to hold
that close. US:" Ahhhh...ATC it's a tad bumpy up here and we *may*
have a bit of a problem holding altitude." (We were getting the crap
beat out of us) Them: "Yah, we know. The alarms are off". A 182 about
20 miles to the north or NNE was reporting torrential rain and severe
turbulence. That was where we were headed. Naturally that particular
flight was my second time in actual with the first having been that
morning.

Come on Roger, you had it easy. You weren't even serving peanuts. ;-)

Gerald
Old October 22nd 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mike[_4_]

Bonehenge wrote:
On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 22:02:38 GMT, john smith wrote:

Another story where British pilots encounter a situation and decide to
fly all the way to the UK before landing!!!

My thoughts exactly.

My God, they were 15 minutes out of Tampa! What's that make them 7
from Miami or Melbourne? G

What I like that 'low-key' description of the event and how obviously
accurate it is.. Like starting off describing "packed" British Airways
Jet, then mentioning the "175 terrified paddangers"... Let's see not,
175 passangers on a 777 ?? Wow.. that is really packed!! What's that,
somewhere around half filled? Yeah, right...
Old October 22nd 06, 07:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roger (K8RI)

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 01:33:39 GMT, "G. Sylvester"
wrote:

Roger (K8RI) wrote:
As to the 600 feet, I've been on flights where I was happy to hold
that close. US:" Ahhhh...ATC it's a tad bumpy up here and we *may*
have a bit of a problem holding altitude." (We were getting the crap
beat out of us) Them: "Yah, we know. The alarms are off". A 182 about
20 miles to the north or NNE was reporting torrential rain and severe
turbulence. That was where we were headed. Naturally that particular
flight was my second time in actual with the first having been that
morning.

Come on Roger, you had it easy. You weren't even serving peanuts. ;-)

You bet and I had my seat belt *tight* too:-))

Gerald

Old October 22nd 06, 07:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roger (K8RI)

wrote:

[...]

Yup.

Remember when the buss load of grade school kids that had been to the
college party hit the bump at the railroad tracks? I think that was
Van Wilder of something like that. OH yah, what was in that milk
shake...Colon blaster? That boy had a wee bit of a problem sitting
there through the final exam.

How about "Down Periscope" when they were resting "silently" on the
bottom?

Ah, yes... Some of my more intellectual moments.